So was your Christmas ham perfect? Help please

dabo, Dec 25, 11:51pm
Doing my ham today.I have a half precooked ham and have prepared a guava and honey glaze. I'm really struggling with the cooking times - I realize it's cooked and don't want to dry it out but some recipes say cook for up to 2 hours, other just heat enough to glaze.I always thought that any meat should be cooked through not half hot , half cold which is how I wonder if the 'just glaze' methods will leave it.How did you do your ham please!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 25, 11:55pm
With all the sugar in that glaze, you'll have to watch that it doesn't burn. A lot less than 2 hours, I think!

dabo, Dec 25, 11:56pm
but what about cooking for awhile then glazing last half hour! Some recipes say that method!

sarahb5, Dec 26, 12:00am
The recipe I have found says cook unglazed for 1 1/2 hours (depends on size of course) and then glaze.Continue cooking until the glaze caramelises.I only buy a pre-cooked ham and brush it with a simple glaze so all I'm doing really is caramelising it and adding some extra flavour to the outside but it's only a small boneless piece so takes about 20 minutes.

imn, Dec 26, 12:55am
Cooked mine for 20mins per kilo at 160C. Had a sweet pineapple glaze. Everyone commented on how delicious it was. And it was.

Thats after glazing. I cant see any need to cook before glazing as its already cooked.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 26, 1:02am
It takes a while for that bulk of meat to heat through though. That is, if you want to serve it hot.

timetable, Dec 30, 7:55am
i put mine in the oven in a foil tent in a rack with about 1 ltr of water in the pan so that it steams really well - over night on bake at 150 deg. comes out moist and beautifully cooked.then fat off, and glaze and in the oven for about 20 min and its done to a turn