Christmas Ham Skin.

valentino, Dec 8, 2:00am
Hmmmm, over the years I along with others have turfed out the skin that comes off the hams.

Recently tried something thinking - well, we do it with pork skins so with a piece of ham skin, cut into pieces about 2.5 cm wide and in various lengths with the longest being about 8cm, place them skin surface up, sprinkle ample salt all over and under the grill and grilled but watching it.
About 15 to 25 minutes later after separating the ones more done than others then inserted each piece onto a toothpick and placed on ham in main oven like as one do with a cherry or a whole clove.

They are lovely whilst hot or warm but unsure when they are cold as they did not get that far. Yep, all went too quick.

Geee, those fattening tasty pieces, damn, got to watch my diet too. Oh well. Some will love them and others are not allowed them, bugger.

Cheers but interesting to share.

tinkagirl, Dec 13, 3:17am
hahaha you just reminded me of the time I tried to make crackle out of ham skin. All it did was melt the fat which in turn we managed to spill in the oven, which then caught on fire. Had must moved into the house and the oven was new, was never the same and almost burnt the house down. My niece was sitting on the loo yelling "don't let me die", sister in law kept opening the oven door and i kept shutting it. my dad almost had a heart attack lol. Ham skin is cured so it will never crackle, it just melts.

valentino, Dec 13, 7:51pm
Love the story in a way though, sounds like a personal horror time but you can look back and remiscient on it.

And yes, ham skin does not crackle, the fat is greatly reduced and the actual skin curls up but is a nice tasty soft-ish bite especially if placed on a glazed ham ( gets that glaze residue a little ) whilst last stages of heating ham. I actually only did Half of skin and froze the other half.

Cheers

susieq9, Dec 18, 11:50pm
Put it on a bird feeder for the birds, they love it. skin side down.

katalin2, Nov 18, 10:49pm
Our chooks love them cut up small.