What is a favourite spanish food?

ashanti, Dec 15, 9:54pm
x1
We have a spanish helper coming to our farm arriving Christmas day, would like to make something special so they feel at home- anyone have any ideas? Paella comes to mind but I thought maybe that was a bit ordinary for a Christmas dish? Thanks for any advice.

buzzy110, Dec 15, 10:27pm
x1
Frittata . If you have access to cockles I will post a fine Spanish Cockle and Potato soup recipe.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 15, 10:38pm
x1
Beef cheeks slow cooked in Pedro Ximenez!

ashanti, Dec 15, 10:44pm
x1
Thanks for the ideas, don't have access to cockles at the moment unfortunately.

davidt4, Dec 15, 11:02pm
x1
A brilliant idea.

The Spaniards whom I know (both here and in Spain) always appreciate empanadas, or even better, empanadillas.I have a great recipe for tuna empanadillas if you would like it - it involves deepfrying and is quite a lot of trouble but is extremely delicious.

ashanti, Dec 15, 11:05pm
x1
Sounds good davidt4, I would appreciate the recipe. thanks.

davidt4, Dec 15, 11:55pm
Here you are ashanti.These are quite a lot of work but they are completely irresistible.You can make the pastry and filling a day ahead, but don't assemble them until a few hours before you fry them.

Empanadilla Valencianas

Makes 25 - 30

Pastry:

2 tab olive oil
2 tab lard or butter
2 tab fino sherry (e.g. Tio Pepe)
4 tab water
175g white flour
¼ tsp salt

Filling:

½ small onion, finely chopped
2 tab olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
zest of half a lemon, finely grated
1 tab lemon juice
¼ tsp hot paprika
¼ tsp smoked paprika
100g tin of tuna, drained and flaked
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
2 tab chopped parsley
olive oil for deep-frying

To make the pastry, melt the oil and fat in a small pan.Remove from heat and add water.Gradually beat in the flour and salt to make a smooth dough.Knead briefly, wrap in cling film and chill 2 hours or overnight.

To make the filling, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes until soft.Add tomatoes, lemon zest, paprika and lemon juice.Stir over heat 4 minutes.Add tuna, egg and parsley, mix well and cool.

To make the empanadillas, roll the pastry out thinly and cut into 7.5cm rounds.Put a heaped tsp of filling on each one, fold in half and press the edges together to seal firmly.Brushing the edges with a little water will make this easier.You can re-roll the offcuts without spoiling the texture of the pastry.

Heat about a litre of olive oil in a deep fat fryer or a wok and when very hot fry the emapandillas 6 - 8 at a time, turning them over from time to time so that they brown evenly.

Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot or warm

ashanti, Dec 16, 1:37am
x1
Sounds very nice, thank you so much for teh recipe, I am sure our visitor will be very pleased.

davidt4, Dec 16, 2:05am
One time when I made that recipe for Spaniards living in NZ some of them wept with nostalgia!

dalkemade, Dec 16, 2:21am
Ashanti..I can tell you what not to give them! A few years ago a friend bought her Spanish visiting mother-in-law and the MIL's 9 yr old to dinner at my place. I made a "Spanish pork dish," in the course of the conversation it transpired pork was a very cheap meat in Spain, probably like giving your guests luncheon. At that time pork was quite expensive here. I put some black olives in a salad, the 9yr old tasted and spat one out straight away.Said it tasted horrible after the ones in Spain.I had bought the Mum a small present and she was really scared to open it, was convinced it was like a trick such as a jack in the box. An interesting evening!

ashanti, Nov 2, 4:40pm
dalkemade- sounds like an interesting visit! Thanks for the tip on the pork, just about to put 2 milk raised pigs in the freezer so that is really good to know> thanks!