Can you freeze

nofrills2, Dec 15, 8:39pm
KFC potato and gravy?

michelle313, Dec 15, 8:48pm
Well it would come out even more watery when thawed out.

245sam, Dec 15, 8:55pm
I absolutely agree but of course, the potato and gravy CAN be frozen BUT the more important consideration surely has to be.....what would it be like after being frozen?????

IMO a better option than previously frozen KFC potato and gravy would be instant mashed potatoes (easily found at all/most supermarkets and also at Bin Inn) + a packeted gravy- neither good alternatives though, to fresh potatoes and gravy.:-))

nofrills2, Dec 16, 3:12am
Thanks my elderly Dad is having his teeth out,and he loves their potato and gravy,so just thought I would grab a few and put in his freezer and he could just heat it up as he lives on his own.

245sam, Nov 2, 9:40pm
nofrills2, I have had dentures for a considerable number of years now so as you will realise I too have had all my teeth removed and I understand your concerns for your Dad - you obviously have the best of intentions for him but I can think of far more appetising things, than previously frozen KFC potato and gravy, to eat without teeth or with new dentures on those raw gums - I had the latter (went to sleep with my own teeth and woke with fully stitched top and bottom gums and a mouthful of new dentures) while many years ago my DH went without teeth for about 3 months.

I suggest that you buy a small tub of KFC potato and gravy, freeze it, then thaw and thoroughly reheat it, then do a taste (and consistency) test and see if you think it would be to your Dad's liking - IMO the freshly cooked and the previously frozen versions will almost certainly be very different and not as appetising as the KFC potato and gravy that "he loves".

May I suggest that, even though it is summer time, that some nourishing soup would be a better option for you to consider for your Dad.I actually found that it wasn't too long before my hunger forced me to attempt to eat most things (obvious exceptions being items requiring considerable chewing such as steak) while my DH in his early toothless days was really partial to salmon in parsley sauce and other meals of similar consistency - once his gums healed and just before he got his dentures he could actually eat a good tender steak!!Until your Dad's gums heal he should avoid meals such as mince as the small pieces of meat can become lodged in the empty gum sockets and are likely then to cause infection.

All the best to your Dad for the extraction of his teeth and for speedy healing afterwards.:-))