Can you freeze courgettes successfully?

kiwitel, Jan 26, 10:37pm
and if so what is the best way. Just searched on here how to blanch and freeze my beans but not sure about courgettes.
They may have too much water content ...
We have soooo many at the moment and cannot keep up with eating them.

fisher, Jan 26, 11:13pm
I just slice them unpeeled and place into a freeze bag.. It's important to get all the air out(I have machine) and freeze flat..
When required, remove from freezer and allow to thaw.. Place on tea towel and pat dry.. Place in frypan that has melted butter, fresh crushed garlic and super fine chopped parsley and "gently fry till you have colour.. sprinkle of salt and white pepper... and serve...
I haven't had much success from trying to dry them, so it's this way or no way :} Many other uses of course..

kiwitel, Jan 26, 11:15pm
Thank you. I will have to look for a machine to get the air out like yours.
I could look in farmers etc... I am not sure what they look like but will ask.
This will happen each year from now on so i should be prepared. Thanks for the advice fisher. :)

fisher, Jan 26, 11:26pm
kiwitel..yes a great investment for those with excess fresh veges from their gardens.. Vegs, Nuts, Meats and all sort of uses..
Mine is mostly used at harvest time and normally when I buy bulk meats such as sausages and the like and I rebag into family meal sizes... Just done heaps of sweetcorn which is cheap... Husk blanche for 3 mins , dry and into labelled bags with air removed... I buy heaps to cover winter meals and it also means not having too use up space in the garden growing them... they were 20 for $5 dollars the other day..

kiwitel, Jan 26, 11:32pm
Great tips ... many thanks.

lilyfield, Jan 27, 12:00am
if you have no machine to get the air out-try this:
take a zip lock bag. close almost to the end, inset straw and suck, quickly remove straw while closing remaining zip. works for me without another gadget cluttering my kitchen

elliehen, Jan 27, 12:16am
There is another gadget (not exactly a 'machine') which is a cheap tubular cardboard thingy which you pump the air out with.I've had one for years.

kay141, Jan 27, 12:20am
I cook the courgettes with onion, garlic and tomatoes and freeze them in meal size portions. I usually use fresh and tinned tomatoes in juice. Makes a great pasta sauce or cooking sauce as well.

kiwitel, Jan 27, 2:42am
Ok will look for one of those little sucky out air gadgets.But the straw thing for now will have to do.
Yum kay141!

elliehen, Mar 3, 9:07am
Have done that too on occasions.Remember to stop just before you pass out ;)