Would you use frozen spinach for creamed spinach ?

supercook, Dec 7, 9:07pm
Or fresh spinach.

davidt4, Dec 7, 9:10pm
Fresh is much better.Frozen is watery and stringy and has less flavour.

supercook, Dec 7, 9:15pm
Thanks will save frozen for quiche. Anyone have any great ideas for frozen spinanch have 4 bags in freezer

elliehen, Dec 7, 11:42pm
FILO SPINACH (OR SILVERBEET) PIE (serves 4)
1 bunch spinach or silverbeet, finely sliced (or equivalent frozen)
1 large onion, chopped
3 eggs
125 gms cottage cheese (half a 250gm pottle)
25 to 50 gms feta cheese crumbled
50 gms cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp dried dill or 1/2 tsp dill seeds
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
a LITTLE salt (feta can be salty) & good grind of black pepper
handful of parsely, chopped
4 sheets filo pastry
4 tsp butter or oil for brushing (or cooking oil spray)

Steam spinach and onion for about 5 mins
Beat eggs, add cottage cheese, feta & cheddar cheese
Add steamed onion & spinach, dill, nutmeg, s & p and parsley
Pour into ovenproof dish (I use 20cms square pan for four servings)
Layer the filo sheets on top of the mix, lightly brushing each with oil or butter, turning over excess flaps at edges
Sprinkle with sesame seeds
Bake at 180*C for 30-40 mins. Can cover dish with foil for last ten minutes to stop filo burning

Variation: Leeks & blue cheese, instead of onion & feta

buzzy110, Dec 7, 11:48pm
One simple, easy and quite delicious idea is:

Ingredients:
2 pkts Frozen Spinach (can be used frozen, semi defrosted and defrosted)
1 tin Evaporated milk

Method:
Mix together with seasoning
Bake in oven @ 180C till set - about 30-40mins

davidt4, Dec 7, 11:49pm
buzzy110 - should that have some eggs in it as well?If not, what makes it set?

buzzy110, Dec 8, 4:51am
Don't know. I was given this one night at a dinner party and I watched the host prepare it. I actually was not impressed till I tried it and it was rather moreish. I think that the evaporated milk just sets but if you wanted to add an egg then IMO that wouldn't hurt one little bit. Also think the addition of grated cheese on top could only add to the dish.

fee1965, Dec 9, 3:18am
Does anyone have the frozen spinach/cream cheese dip that you serve in a hollowed out cob bread?

245sam, Dec 9, 3:28am
fee1965, there are various options of the filled Cob Loaf amongst the Trademe Cooks recipes that can be accessed/downloaded from:-

http://www.e-ware.co.nz/downloads.htm

Scroll to the bottom of the page, then look in The TradeMe Cooks Cafe for "The Cobb Loaf Filled With Dip Recipes".

Hope that helps.:-))

elliehen, Oct 9, 10:59pm
245sam, found I'd saved this re-post by you :)

DIVINE GREEN DIP.
1 Cobb Loaf, 1 onion, 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 cup grated cheese, 250g cream cheese, 1/4 tsp basil, 4 silverbeet leaves (cooked & well-drained). Cut the top off & hollow out the Cobb loaf, keeping the bread to cut into small serving-sized pieces for dipping. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a food processor & then pour the mixture into the Cobb shell & place the lid on i.e. the piece cut from the top of the loaf. Bake at 150°C for 1/2 hour. Serve warm. Note: From Julie– “This is absolutely divine but the bread is not enough on its own for dipping, so I always serve other things e.g. Snax crackers, finely sliced French bread .I have also done in it in small rolls for individual dips & my Aunt has served it up as a Vegetarian meal, 1 dinner roll with filling and lots of chopped up vegetables for each person.”
REposted by 245sam