Spinach and silver beet

Page 1 / 2
shellz596, Jul 8, 11:06pm
Hi I just love spinach and silver beet but limited with recipies, I was woundering if you guys would be able to help me out and give me some of your tride and loved recipes, thanks.

waswoods, Jul 8, 11:20pm
My hubby loves the following: fry some chopped onions and chopped bacon. Add rice and washed spinach/silver beet, water, salt and peepr. Cook until the rice is done

shellz596, Jul 8, 11:54pm
Thats diferent, do you add any flavors to this, like chicken stock or cream maybe at the end.

pericles, Jul 8, 11:55pm
not spinach or silver beet, but cabbage.
Love the taste when you add celery leaves

shellz596, Jul 8, 11:59pm
Hi pericles, how do you do this recipe.

pericles, Jul 9, 12:00am
finely chopped cabbage & celery (you don't need alot, a couple of handfulls) knob of butterS & P, and quickly stir fry

buckyboy, Jul 9, 12:00am
nice added to an omlette or quiche

pericles, Jul 9, 12:01am
add poached egg to the top of spinach

letitia, Jul 9, 12:07am
Poached egg & spinach on toast with thick cheese sauce poured over, seasoned with pepper.

red2, Jul 9, 12:36am
great added as layers into your lasagne - no need to precook it either !

waswoods, Jul 9, 1:24am
No not all; however, you could add chicken stock and reduce the salt

hezwez, Jul 9, 3:31am
Nice to add some leaves when potatoes nearly boiled... mashes up well and tasty for leftover fry-ups.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 3:46am
peel and slice2-3 kumara, steam gently till just tender, rinse under cool water and set aside. In a frypan with about 1 tbsp water, saute 1x lge onion, cut into rings. When tender, turn off heat and stir in about 150g of feta cheese, cut into cubes ( I use Galaxy)
Spray an oven proof dish with cooking spray. Steam some pumpkin pieces ( enough to fill bottom of dish) when tender, slice off skin and place in bottom of dish. Add the onion and feta over the top, then add about 4-5 leaves of steamed silverbeet over the top and finally layer with the cooked kumara slices. In a jug or bowl, add 1 heaped tbsp sour cream, 1 heaped tsp chicken stock powder, 2tsp(not level) cornflour and mix well with a whisk. gradually add about 1/2 cup water ( add more if you need to) to make a sauce. Pour over the kumara slices gently, allowing it to seep down the sides into the bake. Top with grated cheese and bake in oven at 170C until top is golden brown.

trading_gibsons, Jul 9, 3:52am
Ina quiche, scrambled eggs or omlete with either blue or feta cheese

shellz596, Jul 9, 4:19am
wow cookessentials, that sound realy nice, Im going to give it a go this weekend, a big thank you to you. :-)

fisher, Jul 9, 4:58am
Silverbeet/ Spinach . . Cooking water is great for gravy and sauces
(a) Place in steamer and cook with knob of butter and splash of mint sauce
(b) Pinch or two of nutmeg and some cottage cheese stirred in.
(c) Crumble some feta into the pot and toss with some butter and ground pepper
(d) Squeeze of lemon juice over the top
(e) Toss strained cooked silver beet with a tablespoon of malt vinegar, a knob of butter, salt & black pepper
(f)Steam silverbeet. Marmite on toast with silverbeet , a poached egg and little salt and pepper.
(g) Fry in olive oil with garlic and shredded cabbage, a little salt and pepper
(h) Put some finely cut up silverbeet in your vegetable soup 5-10 mins before its ready to dish up.
(i) Add little steamed silverbeet to mashed potatoes butter and a little salt and pepper.
(j) Place in steamer and cook with knob of butter , salt and pepper and 1 x tsp of brown sugar
(k) Place in steamer and cook with chopped pre cooked bacon pieces, a little salt and pepper and a knob of butter.

fisher, Jul 9, 4:59am
Silverbeet and Ham Quiche
Line a buttered pie dish with pastry. Fill and place pie dish in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Filling:Mix all together in a bowl
4 eggs1/2 cup cream1/4 cup ham diced1/2 cup cheese (Gruyere works best) grated1/2 cup silverbeet, choppedSalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

fisher, Jul 9, 5:00am
Silverbeet and Potato Pie. . Can add sliced mushrooms if desired
Peel and boil potatoes. When almost cooked, add silverbeet leaves for a minute or two. Mash together with a bit of butter and a little milk. Layer in a casserole dish
Add sliced tomato, sliced onions and grated cheese. . Bake or grill till top is nice and golden.

beaker59, Jul 9, 5:06am
I did this earlier this week was excellent also added a layer of saute'd eggplant.

One thing I also do with silverbeet is steam then drain and stir in coconut cream before serving similar to the island Taro leaves dishes thats very nice.

I always have a few plants somewhere in the garden then there's always some greens available for dinner any excess gets composted or fed to the chooks when I had some.

rainrain1, Jul 9, 5:16am
Agree... . especially if you have left over cooked potaoes to go in your quiche

shellz596, Jul 12, 12:08am
Hi guys, thanks so much for your help, loverly ideas, cookessentials I made your one last knight and the family love it, I have some for lunch which I am about to eat yum yum, fisher I have a lot to cook so will be very bissy this week, hop I dont go green ha ha thanks again for all your help I cant wait to try them all. :-)

cookessentials, Jul 12, 2:00am
Glad you like it. We always enjoy this when we don't fancy meat,

redhead21, Jul 12, 2:02am
pop in pan with minut amount of water, put knob of butter on top and sprinkle garlic powder or sprinkle on top and stir in when cooked. Different taste and yum.

dragonzflame, Jul 15, 2:06am
DP's stepmother does really nice creamed spinach, and by the sounds all it is is just spinach/silverbeet in white sauce with breadcrumbs on top. For my money though, spanna kopita is the best thing you can do with spinach or silverbeet:

1 bunch spinach/silverbeet
250g cottage cheese
200g feta, cubed
2 spring onions, chopped
2 eggs
a good slug of olive oil
ground black pepper

Wash and rip up your spinach, place in a bowl, salt, leave about an hour. Rinse it and either spin it or shake it in a clean teatowel to get as much of the excess moisture out as you can. Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir until well combined.

Line a square pie dish with about 5 sheets of filo pastry, dotting or brushing each with olive oil. (Hint: to keep the filo moist as I fill the dish, I cover it with the teatowel I used for the spinach). Fill the filo with the spinach and cheese. Top with another 5 or so layers of the filo and bake for about 45 minutes at 180*. Great hot or cold.

nainmary, Jul 20, 8:30am
I am a bit late but this is very nice.
Silverbeet Quiche.
short pastry
about 500g silverbeet
1 cup cottage cheese
2eggs
3/4 cup milk
salt, pepper and pinch of nutmeg
Roll out pastry to fit a flan dish, bake blind @200c for 10 minutes.
Remove baking blind material bake a further 5 -10 minutes to dry out pastry.
Wash silverbeet and cook in small amount boiling waterfor 5 minutes until just tender. Drain well and press out all water, chop finely.
Place silverbeet on quiche base then sprinkle on cottage cheese.
Beet eggs, milk, salt, pepper & nutmeg together pour this over and bake at 200c for 20 minutes or until filling has set.
Serve not or cold. Serves 4 to 6