uli, Dec 8, 9:11pm
1. Yes - Annabell
2. No
3. No - just happened to be born here and live for a year or two
4. No
5. Yes with a gun and lead
6. Why?

nzl99, Dec 8, 9:40pm
Good ol' fallback for unorganised parents who haven't bought anything for the kids school shared christmas lunch tomorrow... Candy Cane Meringues!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32041277&l=5ca3b257cb&id=1225939081

nzl99, Dec 8, 9:41pm
Oh and the cupcakes and macaroons further up are FANTASTIC!

lindylambchops1, Dec 8, 10:37pm
Recipes for those please!

elliehen, Dec 9, 1:39am
Because I think that if more people had to kill their own meat, there would be fewer flesh-eaters.

Did Annabell have a lang bein?;))

taurus2005, Dec 9, 2:15am
Yum these look so nice.Have never made macaroons before.Can you share the recipe please?

lindylambchops1, Dec 9, 2:21am
Id love that recipe too please also want nogrannyma's cupcakes please.

elliehen, Dec 9, 4:46am
Finally, Christmas shortbread, from a grandmother's recipe given to the Laird's wife in a Scottish castle by a young New Zealander working there on her OE, and said by the Lady herself to be much better than the one she had previously been serving :)

fifie, Dec 9, 8:10am
Mini xmas cakes, apricot and walnut choc log, bumble bees. Tomorrow Maggie Beers sour cream pastry mincemeat and apple slice..

cgvl, Dec 9, 10:12am
My Xmas cake, want to do more baking but need to go have a browse in cupborad for ingredients and find the time lol.

alebix, Dec 9, 11:55am
Not really baking as such but I dipped around 200 truffles, made rocky road, coconut ice and white xmas for presents to give out tomorrow.

alegnak, Dec 9, 7:48pm
Here's the recipe my son used for the raspberry macaroons (he's making another batch today, blesss):

100g free range egg whites (this was 3 eggs)
pinch of cream of tartar
2 T caster sugar
1-2 t raspberry essence
red food colouring
140g ground almonds
220g icing sugar

FILLING
85g soft butter (not melted)
175g sifted icing sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
red food colouring

Preheat oven to 150C.Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to soft peaks in electric mixer.Add caster sugar, rasp essence and a few tiny drops of red food colouring (add cautiously as you don't want it too red - it does fade during cooking though).
Sift ground almonds and first lot of icing sugar together, adding any almonds that haven't gone through the sieve into the bowl.Using a large metal spoon, fold into the egg whites until well combined. (don't worry about losing volume, the mixture should not be too light and airy).
Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1 1/2cm wide plain piping nozzle (he just used a plastic bag with the end cut off).Pipe small rounds, about 3c apart on lined baking trays.He filled up two large trays and there was mixture left over so could have filled three trays.
Drop trays a couple of times on the bench to get rid of any air bubbles and to flatten them slightly.LEAVE FOR 45-50 MINS until a good skin has formed on top of the macaroons.
Bake the trays, one at a time, for 12-14 minutes.Leave for 5 mins before gently transferring to a cooling rack.

FILLING
Beat butter, icing sugar and vanilla until light and creamy.Add a few drops of red food colouring to make pink colour.

To assemble:Pipe filling into a piping bag and pipe a small round on half the macaroons, (my son just spooned straight onto the macaroons), top with another macaroon, and gently press together.The macaroons will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight containiner in the fridge but will soften on keeping (ours were just as good two days later).Makes about 30 doubles

frances1266, Dec 9, 8:09pm
Sorry to be pedantic but they are macarons.Macaroons are the eggwhite and coconut mix.
I love macarons and yours look gorgeous.

alegnak, Dec 9, 8:46pm
I'm just going by the recipe in the book - Raspberry Parisian Macaroons.Maybe that's the Englishified spelling :D

mjhdeal, Dec 9, 8:59pm
I made a Tia Maria cheesecake yesterday :)

rosathemad, Dec 9, 11:57pm
alegnak, what book was the recipe from? It does look like an Englishified recipe to me - most of the ones I've seen are slightly different, but they are definitely macarons - people get confused enough about what they are without the wrong spelling being used by recipe books! ;-)

Your son did really well; they look great!

crystalmoon, Dec 9, 11:58pm
3 tins of afghan biscuits 4 more to go for Early xmas presents.

mjhdeal, Dec 10, 1:00am
from wikipedia... "Since the English word macaroon can also refer to the Coconut macaroon, many have adopted the French spelling of macaron to distinguish the two items in the English language." So you are both right!

jellabie, Dec 10, 2:29am
macadamia shortbread men (instead of gingerbread men)

sarahj1, Dec 10, 3:13am
A test batch of cheddar pastry-wrapped olives for nibbles on Xmas Day - want to see if I can do them ahead and freeze them without the olives going mushy - will bake them tonight and see.They are so good - even olive haters have been known to weaken....

lindylambchops1, Dec 16, 9:22am
I wish nogrannyma would share her recipe for rocky road muffins & vanilla cup cakes PLEASE!THANK YOU!:)

fruitluva2, Dec 16, 9:54am
Louise cake, lemon loaf and Florentine slice.All the bake pix look great and yum, well done!

sticky232, Dec 16, 10:42am
Hi love to know were you got the little christmas decorations for the cupcakes they look gorgeous thanks

510, Dec 16, 3:16pm
Christmas Muffins & Little Chocolate Swirl Cheese Cakes

coconutbuns, Dec 16, 6:47pm
Nothing. I try not too bake too often or I will feed my addiction to sugar and end up very overweight as I was before. Lost 30kgs still battling to maintain it. But come Christmas day I will eat every dessert in sight! lol