Going to make a Baked Custard Tart

peachygotit, Feb 16, 10:30am
tomorrow with my son.. it's looks cheap, easy and tasty.

gypsy11, Feb 16, 11:39am
A nice addition to this is adding a hint of grated nutmeg! Absolutely supuerb!
And cooking with kids is fantastic! A skill which is quite often over looked as something we should be teaching our Tamariki!
Good on you!

cookessentials, Feb 16, 5:53pm
They are also delicious. Definately use nutmeg. If you dont have a recipe let me know as I have a brilliant one.

spot20, Feb 16, 6:54pm
Yes please I would love your recipe cook! My husband would be in heaven if I made him one of these! Thanks muchly

cookessentials, Feb 16, 8:29pm
Will post later today as the recipe is at home and I am now at work

kiwitrish, Feb 16, 8:40pm
I have been making them every week for years.We love it.I use the bero recipe and double the pastry and treble the custard filling so that it's nice and deep.Always sprinkle nutmeg on top before baking.
Here's the pommie web site for the recipe.
http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

cookessentials, Feb 17, 12:41am
I shot home at lunch, so here it is.

CUSTARD TART
Pastry:
90g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour

Custard:
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
grated nutmeg.

Beat butter until creamy, add sugar and beat until just combined. Add lightly beaten egg gradually, beating well after each addition. Work in two thirds of the sifted flours with a wooden spoon, then remaining flour by hand. Turn onto a lightly floured board, knead lightly till smooth. Refrigerate 30 mins before using. Roll pastry to line a greased 20cm pie tin.
Handle pastry carefully, making sure there are no breaks, otherwise uncooked custard will seep through. Brush base and sides of pastry with a lightly beaten egg white to seal. Make decoartive edge on the pastry using the tip of a lightly floured spoon...just press gently.
Beat eggs, vanilla and sugar together; heat milk to lukewarm, gradually stir into egg mixture. Put pie plate onto oven tray, gently pour half the custard mix into the shell ( I use a small jug with a good pouring lip) place pie into oven and then pour remaining custard into shell before sliding shelf into oven. Bake in moderate oven for 50-55 mins. After 15 mins cooking time, sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Do not overcook as custard will firm as it cools. Moderate oven is 190-200C