Richard Tills bird inside a bird inside a turkey

Page 1 / 2
demsey, Nov 30, 7:38pm
recipe please.It was in a Sunday Star but accidently tossed it ...It also has different stuffings for each bird.Thanks

245sam, Nov 30, 7:56pm
demsey, I didn't see and don't have the recipe you're wanting but was it something like the Turducken on this link:-

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/turducken.html

pamellie, Nov 30, 9:49pm
I seem to remember someone doing this on tv once. Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall perhaps? Looked pretty interesting

suzanna, Nov 30, 11:04pm
I have emailed my good friend in London who runs the kitchen for a large firm of lawyers and stockbrockers as I know she is requested to do one of these each year. From memory she uses several such as a quail, pidgeon, chicken, duck, pheasant, goose, turkey. Each is butterflied and layered one on top of the other and then rolled very tightly and 'strung'. Seasoning inbetween. I know Hester Guy also does them so you may like to email her. I will post as soon as I have a reply. Seriously worth the effort as delicious and just as good cold.

kirinesha, Dec 1, 12:30am
I have been trying to talk my husband into doing one of these....would be most interested in your friend's recipe if you didn't mind sharing it Suzanna?

davidt4, Dec 1, 12:34am
Yes indeed.I made a version a few years ago and while it involved a huge amount of effort to put together it was well worth it because it was so easy to serve - you just slice it like an enormous loaf of bread - and the leftovers were fantastic.Another advantage is that the flesh ends up evenly cooked, without dry patches.

demsey, Dec 1, 1:10am
looks like we are all waiting for Suzanna to post-it sounds just what I'm looking for.

elliehen, Dec 1, 1:20am
On the topic of things rolled and sliced, didn't Jamie Oliver's Moroccan Snake Cake (TV1 last night) look delectable.

suzanna, Dec 1, 3:43am
I will certainly post as soon as I receive a reply. I know that when last speaking with her earlier in the week she was battling very cold conditions and a tube strike whilst at work busy organising the opening of the new kitchen (that's a whole other story like one of the partners in the firm ordering the dining room tables because he liked them...they are too big and don't fit!) but I know she will reply when able to. Cheers

sumstyle, Dec 1, 8:19am
the one I've seen done starts with a sparrow!

rumbledoll, Dec 1, 8:37am
I saw on telly along time ago someone did the bird in the bird and I think they used 4 birds... each stuffed and put inside each other, however it took (from memory) about 10+ hours to cook as there is so much meat to get heat through.

Wow... good luck with doing this, it'd be interesting how you'd carve it and what it would taste like.

uli, Dec 1, 8:55am
Looking forward to this recipe :)

suzanna, Dec 2, 1:34am
Ok so been talking to my friend Rach on Skype and the following are her suggestions as to how to do the multiple bird thing....to begin with after you've decided what birds you wish to use ask the butcher to bone them out (unless you are a whizz and can do it yourself). Start with a goose as this provides good fat to 'baste'. Then the turkey, chicken, duck, pheasant, pigeon, partridge, quail. Inbetween each lots of thyme, salt and garlic. Because the birds are boned out rather than place the stuffing between each layer if you do want to include some then stuff the 'cavity pockets of each bird. Roll and string. A note : Rach prefers to leave the skin on each birdwhich doesn't go crispy but the fat helps to hold the whole lot together. You may prefer to take the skin off. Oven at 220 degrees for 20 mins....this is how one should cook all joints as the very high temp allows the middle to heat rather than actually cook...like a blast so the meat actually cooks much more evenly.Then about 180 degrees for approx 2 hours. Really important is to rest the 'creation' for at least an hour otherwise it won't carve well. Worth the effort...enjoy.

demsey, Nov 30, 7:38pm
recipe please.It was in a Sunday Star but accidently tossed it .It also has different stuffings for each bird.Thanks

245sam, Nov 30, 7:56pm
demsey, I didn't see and don't have the recipe you're wanting but was it something like the Turducken on this link:-

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/poultry/turducken.html

pamellie, Nov 30, 9:49pm
I seem to remember someone doing this on tv once. Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall perhaps! Looked pretty interesting

uli, Nov 30, 10:32pm
Anyone doing this again this year!

beaker59, Nov 30, 10:54pm
Traditional english recipes usually have a sparrow in the very centre :

suzanna, Nov 30, 11:04pm
I have emailed my good friend in London who runs the kitchen for a large firm of lawyers and stockbrockers as I know she is requested to do one of these each year. From memory she uses several such as a quail, pidgeon, chicken, duck, pheasant, goose, turkey. Each is butterflied and layered one on top of the other and then rolled very tightly and 'strung'. Seasoning inbetween. I know Hester Guy also does them so you may like to email her. I will post as soon as I have a reply. Seriously worth the effort as delicious and just as good cold.

uli, Nov 30, 11:19pm
You are so gorgeous beaker59 :)
Are you sure it is a sparrow and not a blackbird though! We could sub a fantail here in NZ!

elliehen, Dec 1, 12:13am
"Sing a Song of Sixpence" is a well-known English nursery rhyme, perhaps originating in the 18th century.

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened,
The birds began to sing;
Wasn't that a dainty dish,
To set before the king!
The king was in his counting house,
Counting out his money;
The queen was in the parlour,
Eating bread and honey.
The maid was in the garden,
Hanging out the clothes;
When down came a blackbird
And pecked off her nose.

kirinesha, Dec 1, 12:30am
I have been trying to talk my husband into doing one of these.would be most interested in your friend's recipe if you didn't mind sharing it Suzanna!

demsey, Dec 1, 1:10am
looks like we are all waiting for Suzanna to post-it sounds just what I'm looking for.

elliehen, Dec 1, 1:20am
On the topic of things rolled and sliced, didn't Jamie Oliver's Moroccan Snake Cake (TV1 last night) look delectable.

suzanna, Dec 1, 3:43am
I will certainly post as soon as I receive a reply. I know that when last speaking with her earlier in the week she was battling very cold conditions and a tube strike whilst at work busy organising the opening of the new kitchen (that's a whole other story like one of the partners in the firm ordering the dining room tables because he liked them.they are too big and don't fit!) but I know she will reply when able to. Cheers