250g of self raising flour
A pinch of table salt
20g of Mainland butter, for scones
200ml of Anchor thickened cream
60g of Mainland butter, to serve
A sprinkle of plain flour
Baking paper

Method:

Rub Mainland butter into self raising flour in a mixing bowl.

Add salt, cream and 100g grated Mainland Egmont cheese to the bowl, combine well by hand.

When ingredients are combined, sprinkle your bench with plain flour and place dough on the bench. Knead together lightly.

Roll out dough and cut with a shaped cutter (round, fluted or square). Keep cutter well dusted with flour so dough doesn't stick.

Place cut scones on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, top with remaining Mainland Egmont cheese.

Bake in hot oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Serve with Mainland butter.

Note
To make cheesier scones, just add more Mainland Egmont cheese.

krazy_kat, Nov 5, 11:25am
These sound so good!So gonna try!

carlosjackal, Nov 5, 6:34pm
I'm looking forward to trying your recipe.it sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing ;o)

dilligaf_dah, Nov 5, 7:24pm
For extra rich cheesy flavour/taste
Add 1/2 packet of parmison (sp) cheese (we do the same for a pizza base)
dont add butter to cheese scones. not needed.
allways add extra grated cheese.

dilligaf_dah, Nov 5, 7:24pm
For extra rich cheesy flavour/taste
Add 1/2 packet of parmison (sp) cheese (we do the same for a pizza base)
dont add butter to cheese scones. not needed.
always add extra grated cheese.

susieq9, Nov 5, 9:32pm
For the wet part in scones I use cream(that has gone past its used by date) and mix with a little water. Come out nice and fluffy. Can use fresh or even the long life cream.

kevin051, Nov 30, 5:15am
Hi there does any1 have a really nice cheesy cheese scone recipe that i can make!

chrisynz, Nov 30, 5:20am
just made some. i use 3 cups self raising flour, small diced onion(can be omitted) 2 cups of grated cheese.milk to mix.cut ou,t top with extra grated cheese.bake

noelee, Nov 30, 8:58pm
savoury sconesself raising flour sugar only a little but optional grated cheese tastyor mildthen I add a pkt of maggi onion soup mix make into a dough with milk cut into shape add more grated cheese on top and bake.
Note I've been leaving the cheese till about the last 10 minutes sometimes the cheese on top gets cooked too much and dry seems to work is nice and soft sooo far.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 10:07pm
I do a nice three cheese scone.recipe is at home though.

smileeah, Nov 30, 10:35pm
I don't have a great recipe to share as I usually use edmonds, but I suggest you don't overmix the dough, and use good tasty cheese for best flavour. And I would add ground black pepper to the dry ingredients.

daleaway, Dec 1, 12:04am
I agree that Mainland Tasty is a good brand for use in cheese scones. That's because it's saltier, so if you have a non-tasty cheese, add extra salt (so good for the arteries.).

seniorbones, Dec 1, 8:10am
If I work saturday mornings I take scones in and I'm a hopeless scone maker, wish I had watched grandma she was the best! - but I can make cheese scones, always with tasty cheese and sometimes add mustard but the mixtures is wet and I just plop them on the tray. I add lots of cheese, but my work mates say they are always lovely. I cant stand buying a cheese scone and its only on the top! There is a shop close to where I work sometimes and their date scones are the best, if I buy one its breakfast/lunch they are so big.

darlingmole, Dec 1, 8:16am
I agree with wish I'd paid more attention!however, the golden rule is that the wetter and less fiddled with the mixture the better it is

rumbledoll, Dec 1, 11:56am
I was a rock maker once. then used this recipe and now rocks are mounds of deliciousness.

2 cups flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder - yes this much makes them big and fluffy
pinch salt.
pinch cayenne pepper
fried off bacon and onion
2 cups grated cheese - any cheese
milk to mix

stir all together using a metal knife. no kneading just use wet hands and grab big dobs on a baking tray - I brush with milk and bake till golden.