Venison rump steak

webbo2, Nov 22, 6:22am
What is the best way to cook venison rump steak?

veejay13, Nov 22, 6:35am
Gosh it's a long time since I cooked it, but I used to "paint" it with crushed garlic, leave for an hour or so, then cook it ina bit of butter in the electric frypan turned to the highest possible heat.
Obviously it only needs a very short time on each side (and you daren't turn your back on it!!)

But I'm no expert and others will probably have better methods....mine did taste good tho' LOL

webbo2, Nov 22, 6:38am
So treat it like beef rump steak?Never even eaten venison before so don't want to bugger it up!

veejay13, Nov 22, 6:42am
I seem to recall venison is a different texture to beef rump...the garlic
breaks down the fibres besides being a great flavour to compliment the venison (which doesn't really taste a lot like beef)

veejay13, Nov 22, 6:43am
BTW I don't think you'll bugger it up ...just don't be tempted to overcook it...do it really fast and really hot and just turn it once.

beaker59, Nov 22, 9:49am
Veejay is quite correct venison is dark and very lean meat so cook as rare as you dare. Garlic is good though not essential so is cracked pepper etc. I cook it occasionally Rump is not the best cut though it is good and can be spectacular as long as not overcooked.

mackenzie2, Nov 22, 6:05pm
Whenever my lot bring home a Venison, I just add a chopped onion and a slash of soya sauce, leave it for at least an hr then, cook as normal, I alway cook ours rare, I put salt and pepper on after the first turn,

rainrain1, Nov 22, 6:53pm
Venison rump can be tough, you might like to try this recipe

Baked Venison steak

Allow 1 thick steak per person(more or less)
brown breadcrumbs
pinch brown sugar
grated rind of 1 orange
1 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper
splash of white wine or vinegar
1 egg white whisked

Mix last 6 ingredients together to make a paste bunding with the egg white. Put a small knob of butter on each steak and cover in paste.Preheat fanbake to 150C and bake for 15 to 20 minutes

This recipe from the book called A Good Spread, recipes from the kitchens of rural women....a great book to have!!

fey, Nov 22, 6:56pm
I think it depends on whether its farmed or wild.But both need either long slow cooking or extremely quick cooking - as long as you like your meat still twitching.Nothing in between.

rainrain1, Aug 27, 3:10am
I am a fusspot when it comes to venison and get to eat both farmed and wild.......i prefer only the tender fillet quickly fried in butter