Toasted pumpkin and sesame seeds...

amyc000, Feb 28, 3:51am
A vegetarian friend used to make these as a snack. She toasted them in a frying pan with a bit of oil and used some sort of seasoning. I thought it might be soy sauce but that makes them way too strong. Anyone have any ideas? Much appreciated!

fisher, Feb 28, 3:59am
amy... just use a small teflon coated frypan to toast them... dont need oil. . Have a pot lid to hold over them ready as they will "jump" as you shake them. . Do them separately... dont overdo them to burn state. .
You could mix them up later with a little masterfoods " All Purpose" seasoning... .

amyc000, Feb 28, 4:06am
Thanks for that, I have just tried toasting them on their own but hers had a definate flavour to them. Will try the masterfoods All Purpose seasoning as long as it doesnt have the dreaded dried herbs in it!

enzu, Feb 28, 6:32am
I have bought some with tamari seasoning. Perhaps that's what you are thinking about. I would like to know what that is too.

ac_nz, Feb 28, 7:13am
Some soy sauces are really strong others not so. I get migraines from MSG (Flavor Enhancer 621 and possibly all the 620's-its in a lot of things) so I buy the kikkomans one which is not overpowering and has no msg. Yep thats what I use for saute-ing seeds. Kikkomans. YUM!

(EDIT pretty sure its Kikkomans, I just checked the cupboard and I've run out :-( )

bex32, Feb 28, 7:20am
Yep it is soy sauce or tamari. But as ac_nz said, make sure its a soy without msg in it, and you only need a little bit. Toast them in the pan first, then when they are pretty much done, add a little bit of soy sauce. I put them on a plate or something to cool, and make sure they don't stick together.

amyc000, Feb 28, 9:32am
Thanks guys! ! Will try this and let you know how they go!

fisher, Feb 28, 10:21pm
Amy. . I love to make vege rolls for those nights that you aren't so hungry but still want a bite to eat. .
Peel large leaves from lettuce, wash and shake dry. . now you can add any vege you like. . tomato, spring onion, red onion, grated carrot and cheese, fine chopped asparagus, celery, cucumber, mush-
rooms, capsicum, sweet corn kernels all finely chopped and mixed in with a tbsp or 2 of cold rice... I add fresh chopped mint, basil and chives and also ground salt and black pepper and mix all well in a bowl and drain. .
When ready to serve, place some mix into a lettuce leaf, add sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and pine nuts that have been toasted separately, let to cool and lightly crushed in a mortar and pestle. . Add these just before serving, roll up and wrap. . nice easy meal with 2 and 1 makes a pleasant entree or vege snack... .

spot20, Mar 1, 5:46am
A pinch of curry powder is good!

rebecca12, Mar 1, 5:47am
We use sunflower seeds as well.

motorbo, Sep 20, 11:54am
i do mine in the oven with a little bit of oil not much at all, and a bit of tamari, yummyyyyyy