Do you like getting kitchen gadgets for pressies?

Page 1 / 3
vintagekitty, Nov 1, 6:20am
I was talking to a girlfriend today, she got a fish slice from one child and a blender from her husband, which is nice and useful, but hardly a token of love!

greerg, Nov 1, 6:30am
It depends.I like things I don't need but just want so microplanes and now circulon pans are good but a fish slice is a bit utilitarian for me.

ribzuba, Nov 1, 6:42am
i love it if it's something awesome, although i prefer recipe books, i make a fishpond wishlist of them and give it to my husband who distributes it to those who want it

greerg, Nov 1, 6:45am
I forgot to add recipe books - love getting a new glossy one of them to drool over.

nfh1, Nov 1, 7:18am
If my husband bought me a blender a a present it would cost him thousands in restaurant meals to get back in my good books!

Recipe books are something completely different though!

rosathemad, Nov 1, 7:36am
If it's something I want I love them - my other half gave me electric beaters last year and they were perfect (fair to say he always also gives me choccies or something a little indulgent to go with the more 'practical' things).

beaker59, Nov 1, 7:37am
Problem I would have is I am very fussy about what I buy so cringe a bit when I get kitchen gifts because its not like you can complain. One exception is my Daughter in Law has a high position in a company bringing in chef tools so look forward to opening those little parcels. (mind you she know allot and asks little questions during the year) no one buys me fishing gear either as I am equaly fussy there although one daughter checks the box for consumables and only buys the brands and sizes I already have and use.

As for it being about love really its not for me because if you are my whanau there is NO conditional love given or recieved.

vintagekitty, Nov 1, 7:42am
Oh I agree about the love in giving and recieving gifts, but sometimes you can just think "what" were they thinking. My thread is more light hearted than being negative.

dorothy_vdh, Nov 1, 7:44am
love giving gifts,sometimes wish my husband did as well. I have been given a can opener and a ice cream scoop from him in the past

vintagekitty, Nov 1, 7:47am
bless!

lynja, Nov 1, 7:57am
depends on the size too! a four tier steamer is quite hard to find space for!!! especially as it is not something I will use very often at all. lovely thought though. pancake maker similar problem! there is only so much room!

kuaka, Nov 1, 8:10am
A friend of mine used to say "if it's got handles it doesn't count as a present - unless it's Prada or Louis Vuitton".

seniorbones, Nov 1, 8:57am
I was 18 when I got married, our first christmas we were broke so decided not to give pressies but hubby bought me an electric mixer, it wasbeautiful and I loved it - cant remember the make but it lasted for years, I now have a kitchen aide and its gorgeous. Then one year I actually asked for a blender :-( how sad am I then, but I choose it, it is a beautiful stainless steel one which I hardly use! but then I had to buy a new foodprocessor and it came with a blender attached which is still in the plastic. But my first blender is still so nice I would never get rid of it not just because I'm a horder but because it was a gift and it looks nice, So I dont mind getting gadgets if its something I really want and expensive too lol

bunny51, Nov 1, 9:00am
I would like a pressie like that. (one time when hubby asked me what I wanted for christmas I told him a popcorn maker. He didn;t want to get it because he didn't think it ocunted as a pressie but he did. He has also got me a food processor and a big cake mixer -ok I went and got it then he said I had to make a cake with it but I told him he had to wait till it was my birthday when he could give it to me first lol)

alebix, Nov 1, 9:26am
I wouldnt mind as long as I can use it.

elliehen, Nov 1, 10:02am
I'd be happy with a really big kitchen gadget like a new fridge ;)

duckmoon, Nov 1, 10:18am
I love it, especially if it plugs in!

charlieb2, Nov 1, 10:18am
God NO!!! Mr bought me a coffee filter machine about 15 years ago.... I've never had a kitchen gadget since!!! lol

cheapmike, Nov 1, 12:10pm
Yes.Definately, but wouldn't buy one for my partner because cooking is just another chore for her. For me I love it and it's one way I relax and I find it really rewarding when it comes off. Reminds me I really need a new knife....

cookessentials, Nov 1, 5:35pm
I would draw the line at a household appliance, however, my DH would never buy me a household appliance for Christmas or a Birthday. I think when it comes to children ( littlies) they have often saved up or been given a small amount of money to spend and I think that what ever the chose, would be grand. They get so excited when they have chosen something "special" for Mum.
I cant say that Adam ever gave me anything kitchenlike as a gift, it was usually something more personal.

ruby19, Nov 1, 6:32pm
Well you can imagine what I thought when my husband bought me a handheld cordless vacuum cleaner for christmas.....I think when it came to the day and I had to keep asking where my present was, he also realized not SUCH a great idea!!
As for kitchen gadgets, it does depend on what it is, I would love some micro plane graters, or a beautiful large rimu tray, a good pasta machine, mine is usless.I have dropped subtle hint to no avail.

elliehen, Nov 1, 9:35pm
Just remembered that I HAVE just been given a gadget and I love it!It's a German-designed Steel Soap (Edelstahlseife) by Blomus in its own little soap dish - a silky smooth oval to rub your garlicky hands on under running water to remove onion odours.

Rubbing your hands on the inside of a stainless steel sink has the same effect, for those who don't plan to put this on their wish-list!

fisher, Nov 1, 9:45pm
Brand new Offshore fishing rod with Daiwa Saltiga fishing reel....
"here you go dear...see, I do LUV YA only top quality "... "oh, you dont want it... ok's... I'll have to find someone that can use this..."hehehehehehe

kay141, Nov 1, 9:46pm
There are gadgets and gadgets. Needs are no-no, wants are great.

buzzy110, Nov 1, 9:51pm
Artwork - if the kitchen utensil was also an antique, a work of art or handcrafted by a skilled artisan then yes. However, those who care about me know better than to give me presents.

In return, instead of buying useless presents at preordained times, when they don't really mean anything much (birthdays, Xmas, etc) I give gifts as and when they are required and often when they are least expected, but oh, so appreciated because they are important to the receiver at that time.

I am not a 'thing' person and have no desire to surround myself with stuff I don't require.