Fluffy custard squares

Page 3 / 3
pam.delilah, Nov 9, 7:08am
post postinggraebalz

Custard Squares similar to denheaths
In a pot heat slowly 1 1/2c of milk, 1 1/2c cream and 100g of butter. Whisk together in a bowl, 4 heaped Tblsp of cornflour, 3 dsp icing sugar, 2 eggs, 1 capful of vanilla ess. & 1 cup of cream. When first measure of milk and butter has melted pour in the remaining mixture and bring to the boil very slowly whisking frequently. Into this mixture I add half a tub of cream cheese. Frequent whisking mixes the cream cheese so there are no lumps, cook until the custard is thick – cool for about an hour. Cook 2 sheets of (pricked with a fork all over) pre rolled pastry – as I said I will now use sweet crust pastry. Cook as per instructions on back of packet. When pastry is cooled I cut it to fit my square Tupperware container, put one layer of pastry in container pour over custard, pop other pastry layer on top and ice with normal icing and sprinkle with coconut. It does take time but the slaving over the stove is worth it! Hope you enjoy as much as we do! I do wonder if beating the custard with the cake mixer while it is cooling would make it fluffier!

slaintewesties, Nov 9, 7:12am
wow thanks alot didn't expect such a quick reply cheers

seasiders, Nov 9, 7:19am
Defrost and fork 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry. Bake at 180 FF for 10-15 minutes, opening the oven and prodding with a fork to make sure the pastry stays flaky but flat. Cool. Cut to fit the square tupperware container (maybe 25 cm x 25 cm x 10 cm!). Cut one into 16 smaller squares (4 x 4)

With an electric beater beat for 3 minutes:
3 x 100g Cottees instant vanilla pudding mix packet ( or equivalent in greggs brand etc)
600 mL cream
600 mL milk

Lay the whole slice of pastry in the bottom of the tupperware container, scrape in the custard and flatten, place the 'jigsaw' second layer on and push down slighty. Make some vanills icing andsprinlke with coconut.
Refridgerate overnight.(or as long as you can wait lol)Slide knife through upper pastry and custard and cut lower pastry to serve.

Sounds too easy I know, but its the closest Ive ever tasted to those famous custard squares!Very popular my son has been nagging me constantly to make these again!

seasiders, Nov 9, 7:26am
yumm. pam.delilahs recipe sounds interesting with cream cheese in it

skippie1, Nov 9, 11:04am
When next time I'm in a bookstore I will check out Jamie Olivers cookbooks for the recipe,ha, maybe we will find it.

mackenzie2, Nov 9, 9:18pm
This is the one I have made for years and it is lovely light and fluffy, quiet easy to.
Heat 3 cups milk and 100gm butter Shake the following together in a sealed container till mixed - 4 heaped Tbsps cornflour 6 tsp icing sugar 2 eggs 1/2 cup of each milk and cream. Add to the milk/butter mix and simmer 5 mins till thick, when thick add 1 tsp vanilla. Cool Cook 2 pces of pastry. Put custard between pastry and ice with the following 30gm butter (melted) 1/2 v tsp vanilla, icing sugar and water to mix, sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy

cottagerose, Nov 10, 3:42am
Thanks skippie1. I never thought of that. Good one!

bev00, Mar 12, 10:31am
1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
1 Cup sour cream.
1 egg yolk
1tbsp cornflour
2tbsp sugar.
Mix sugar and corn flour tog. and add egg yolk then stir in sour cream.
Cook this in a double boiler until it coats the spoon. Add flav. Stir well.

Put this over your fav pastry for custard squares. It is truely devine.
This quantity above is not a lot so you would have to double or tripple depending on how thick you want it between your pastry. It is light creamy and just beautiful to eat.

Quotejaybee6 (1030 )6:50 pm, Sun 11 Mar #7

nzl99, May 2, 5:31am
These were my little ones. the instant pud idea is fab!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/!set=a.1619069196381.2086546.1225939081&l=6998839d12

Lindy. bet they are delish!:-)

rosathemad, Oct 28, 7:46am
Seasiders, I made that recipe the other day - someone commented on my blog directing me here. Pam.delilah, your recipe is next on my list! (might be a few weeks before I fully come down from the sugar high though)

My experience is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/10/ultimate-custard-square-hunt-fake.html - I didn't think it was much like the Denheaths but very impressed how good the custard was, given how it's made! :-)

bev00, Nov 24, 8:42am
x1
There has been a lot of comments about the Denheath custard sqaures. I have never tried them and probably will not till I get back to NZ. I love the Polish vanilla slice which kind of looks similar however the Polish pastry is made with choux pastry as a big slab, cut in half then filled. Here is a recipe that I have managed to adjust and make.

Polish Vanilla Slice

3 Cups of milk
2/3 cup sugar
6 egg yolks (optional) (eggs are optional however you don't have to use it. Denheath ones do not contain eggs but I like the rich flavour)
2 tbs pure vanilla essence
6 tbs flour
2 tbs custard powder
1 tbs corn flour
125g soft unsalted butter
2 pinchs of salt (just pinch no more)

Bring to a boil two cups of milk. Mean while beat sugar, vanilla, flours, custard the rest of the milk together. Once the milk has come to boil, pour a little bit at a time into the egg mixture while whisking. Pour the whole lot back into the pan and put on the heat. Keep stirring until it thickens and comes to a boil. It will be a very thick. Pour in to a bowl and refrigerate to chill completely. Once chilled completely put butter into a bowl and beat at a medium speed. Add the mixture a tablespoon (can be heaped) at time beating well between each addition until all well combined.
Spoon out between two layers of Choux pastry already baked or baked puff pastry. Dust with icing sugar or ice with icing.

Quotemarcs (52 )11:09 pm, Thu 24 Nov #1

jaybee6, Nov 24, 9:28am
Make the ones I have posted on here they are to die for. Traditional custard with an xtra added ooooooo sooooooo gooooood. Put it into the side panel under custard squares. You really have to make them and I bet you will continue to do them as they are devine. Soooooo easy. Good luck.