Glen Rowling - Sultana Custard Cake

Page 1 / 2
molly37, May 21, 2:30am
I made this cake yesterday, dry and crumbly. Such a waste of time and effort. Not sure what I did wrong. certainly will be going back to the boiled sultana cake next time.

robbo_, Aug 24, 11:53pm
Hi,
my mother has lost the recipe for the Sultana Custard Cake cake that she used to make and I am hoping that someone can help.

It was published in a local recipe book called the Ohau County Recipe Book which mum bought in a little shop in Fielding many years ago.
The recipe was provided by Glen Rowling who is the wife of former prime minister Bill Rowling and I believe that the little recipe book was filled with recipes provided by local personalities like Mrs Rowling.
All of this happened many years ago so these details may not be entirely correct I'm sorry.

If you can help then that would be just amazing!

Cheers,

Rob

elliehen, Aug 25, 12:11am
GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir into floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

robbo_, Aug 25, 8:33am
Thank you so much elliehen!
That is an amazing response.

I have emailed the recipe to mum, she will be beside herself just as soon as she gets it I am sure.

Thank you again, awesome.

elliehen, Aug 25, 8:55am
You're welcome :)Thanks to you for your request, which alerted me to this interesting recipe.

I was actually so intrigued by it that I decided to make it tonight, and it's a great success.For anyone else wishing to try it, I'd just add the following:

* Make sure your 8 inch square pan (20 cms) has sides high enough for you to put the mixture no more than 2/3 up the sides, or the top might crack - it's a lot of mixture for a shallow-sided pan
* I didn't have four essences, so used 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla, and half teaspoon each of pure lemon and pure almond
* My cake cooked in just under 1 & 1/2 hours.I'd certainly test with a skewer at 1 & 1/4 hours

It has a delicious flavour, perfect texture and has a smooth light brown top.

elliehen, Aug 25, 9:02am
Just a postscript.I notice that above in the recipe I put "Stir inTO floured fruit".It should just read "Stir in" floured fruit.I've rechecked everything else and it's all good to go!

I used baking paper, not greaseproof.

andrew499, Aug 25, 9:36pm
Definitely going to try this one sooner rather than later.think i'll add some mixed peel as i like it in sultana breads and cakes.

spot20, Aug 25, 10:47pm
sounds delish . definitely will try in the weekend!

robbo_, Aug 25, 11:53pm
Hi,
my mother has lost the recipe for the Sultana Custard Cake cake that she used to make and I am hoping that someone can help.

It was published in a local recipe book called the Ohau County Recipe Book which mum bought in a little shop in Fielding many years ago.
The recipe was provided by Glen Rowling who is the wife of former prime minister Bill Rowling and I believe that the little recipe book was filled with recipes provided by local personalities like Mrs Rowling.
All of this happened many years ago so these details may not be entirely correct I'm sorry.

If you can help then that would be just amazing!

Cheers,

Rob

elliehen, Aug 26, 12:11am
GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir into floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

elliehen, Aug 26, 8:55am
You're welcome :)Thanks to you for your request, which alerted me to this interesting recipe.

I was actually so intrigued by it that I decided to make it tonight, and it's a great success.For anyone else wishing to try it, I'd just add the following:

* Make sure your 8 inch square pan (20 cms) has sides high enough for you to put the mixture no more than 2/3 up the sides, or the top might crack - it's a lot of mixture for a shallow-sided pan
* I didn't have four essences, so used 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla, and half teaspoon each of pure lemon and pure almond
* My cake cooked in just under 1 & 1/2 hours.I'd certainly test with a skewer at 1 & 1/4 hours

It has a delicious flavour, perfect texture and has a smooth light brown top.

elliehen, Aug 26, 9:02am
Just a postscript.I notice that above in the recipe I put "Stir inTO floured fruit".It should just read "Stir in" floured fruit.I've rechecked everything else and it's all good to go!

I used baking paper, not greaseproof.

andrew499, Aug 26, 9:36pm
Definitely going to try this one sooner rather than later.think i'll add some mixed peel as i like it in sultana breads and cakes.

robbo_, Oct 1, 3:15am
Armed with my new mixer (birthday present from mum) I have finally baked two of these cakes. One was just not enough, Absolutely delicious and a real hit at work! Thanks again elliehen!

ellie04, Oct 1, 3:31am
Just wondering - do you need to boil the sultanas in water first or are they ok straight from the packet!Many thanks

elliehen, Oct 1, 3:54am
Straight from packet, but coated with a little of the flour mix.Try not to use ancient, really dried-up sultanas though.

elliehen, Oct 1, 3:55am
Glen Rowling is a local.if I bump into her, I'll tell her :)

skippie1, Oct 1, 6:32am
Well I have just put my cake into the oven, let you know later how it turn out and what it's like. Thanks for the recipe.

skippie1, Oct 1, 10:03am
Cake is finished, taste is lovely but I find the cake itself a bit crumbly.

elliehen, Oct 1, 10:05am
Might hold together better when it's completely cold.

willow123, Oct 2, 6:30am
What flavour icing would you suggest! I was thinking lemon perhaps

bedazzledjewels, Oct 2, 6:40am
I'm pleased there's a recipe named after her. She always seemed such a nice lady.

elliehen, Oct 2, 7:14am
I prefer it uniced, but icing with lemon juice in it would complement the sultanas.

griffo4, Oct 9, 7:27am
Mine is in the oven now but it has taken longer than the time stated and it has cracked across the top but l hope it will close up when it cools
l a looking forward to tasting it

elliehen, Oct 9, 8:50am
Did your pan have high enough sides griffo4!The cake can crack if the mixture is too close to the top of the pan.