Country Womens Association Sultana cake recipe

Page 1 / 2
marcs, Jan 1, 1:16am
Not this one either. Will see if SIL still has the recipe book. It was straight butter cake and did not require boiling the fruit.

hezwez, Jan 1, 9:25pm
This is from the yellow covered 1982 copy CWI book:
Light Sultana Cake
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3 eggs
4 oz butter (the recipe states 8oz but I've made it, must be a typo)
1 cup sugar
Fruit, any quantity
5 tbs milk.
Cream butter and sugar, gradually adding beaten eggs and milk. Add sifted dry ingredients and fruit, The addition of grated rind and juice of a lemon is very tasty. Bake in a moderate oven 180 C for approx one and a quarter hours.

bigjules1, Jan 2, 11:25am
the Womens Institute recipe I use is :- beat together three eggs and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until pale. Meantime heat oven to 160 and line a square cake tin with foil. Boil a bag of sultanas (approx. 450gm) for about 5 minutes, drain well then add 250
gm butter (cut into cubes) Let the butter melt then add to the sugar mixture. Stir until mixed, add 1 tsp vanilla essence and 1 tsp orange or lemon essence. To that mixture add 2 1/2 cups high grade flour sifted with 1 tsp baking powder. Stir well, pour into tin making sure you get the mixture into the corners of the tin. Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Family favourite recipe

marcs, Jan 2, 11:39am
Could be this one. I will ask MIL in the morning. Thank you.

marcs, Jan 2, 11:40am
Thank you but not the correct one.

whitehead., Jan 4, 5:18am
we used this one to feed the kids at pony club its a great cut and come again cake and gives them some thing in their tums when they wont eat all day while competing

whiskey13, Jan 4, 5:36am
Now I'm hungry for sultana cake.

motorbo, Jan 4, 6:17am
fruit - any quantity ? lol interesting recipe

marcs, Jan 4, 8:26am
It think it would be 500g fruit.

hezwez, Jan 4, 8:29am
OK, back in the day those skilled country women probably didn't measure everything. Do you think that IS the recipe marcs? Did the MIL or SIL confirm?

marcs, Jan 5, 12:08pm
No they have not gotten back to me. I have one that is very similar that is a fruit cake and I just made it into a sultana cake. it has 125g butter and each time it has turned out dry so wondering the 250g butter may be correct.

marcs, Jan 6, 7:45am
I think I have figured out why my cakes turn out so dry. We live in Australia and it is Australian flour which is the most disgusting to make anything with. Mum just said it used to turn out fine in NZ and ever since we moved here it just does not turn out the same. I might try swapping 2 tbs of flour with cornflour to make cake flour and see if that works.

marcs, Jan 6, 7:47am
This is my mums light fruit cake recipe. You need to do it all by hand and not by machine.

Mums Fruit Cake

2 Cups Self Raising Flour
¾ cup raw sugar (or raw castor sugar)
500g mixed fruit soaked in ¼ cup Brandy overnight.
¾ cup milk
3 eggs (size 7 or 8)
1 tsp vanilla
125g butter

Do all with hand. Make sure everything is at room temp
Beat butter and sugar until well combined with a wooden spoon. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition (still with the spoon). Mix flour and fruit together and fold gently in along with milk and vanilla. Fold only till combined. Bake at 180°c (160°c fan forced) for 1 hour to 1 ½ hour till cooked. (Check at 50 minutes) Used a 15cm tin well lined.
I think cake should be baked at 150°c fan forced.

marcs, Jan 7, 12:05pm
Finally got the recipe. If you want it let me know.

jenny253, Jan 11, 1:45am
Yes please x2.

herself, Jan 11, 4:18am
Another yes please for the recipe. I make a boiled sultana cake for the lunch boxes but it is not quite what I want - yours may be the 'one' :-)

clair4, Jan 11, 6:14am
I also would like the recipe. I have made others, but also seem to dry.
Thanks

marcs, Jan 15, 3:31am
Sorry folks. Have been away and will be home Saturday. I will post then.

griffo4, Jan 15, 4:39am
Thanks Marcs will keep an eye on here

jazzryn, Jan 18, 1:35am
I replaced some flour with ground almonds in my sultana, gives it a nice flavour

marcs, Jan 18, 11:54am
Well here it is. MIL is 85 so may have been a bit confused but SIL has given me her recipe. I have not made this yet so no verdict.

Sultana Cake

1 lb (500g) sultanas
½ lb (250g) butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 TBS Golden Syrup
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice

(use a wooden spoon not a mixer)

• Just cover the Sultanas with water and bring to a boil. Turn off and leave to cool completely.
• Cream butter and sugar.
• Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
• Add Golden syrup and mix in.
• Fold in sifted dry ingredients.

• Bake for 1 ½ - 1 3/4 hours in total - 1/2 hour at 150C and 1 1/4 at 140 C. Not sure of tin size but gather somewhere between 23 - 25 cm.

turtlet, Jan 18, 9:35pm
Thanks, I will make this later. Assume you drain the fruit and add after the flour?

marcs, Jan 19, 2:53am
With liquid and all. I don't think you are meant to drain it. I have not made it yet but will try it in a couple of weeks once I get over my jetlag.

marcs, Jan 19, 2:55am
Forgot to say when to add sultanas. It is the last to add after the dry ingredients.

turtlet, Jan 19, 3:20am
Cake is very nice thanks. I drained the sultanas and that seems to be fine. I would make it again.