Where can I find a good banana cake recipe

Page 1 / 2
pats3, Aug 12, 4:50am
The only one I've got is the Edmonds Recipe Book one but it is done in 'slice' tins. Can I just use that and do it in one cake tin?

noonesgirl, Aug 12, 5:20am
Cook in a ordinary cake tin. This is the recipe I use & fine. Otherwise check out l/h message board, enter banana cake & where it says date posted enter anytime.

pats3, Aug 12, 5:33am
Thank you for that noonesgirl. Dare I ask, waht is l/h message board please?

winnie231, Aug 12, 5:37am
I think noonesgirl is refering to the search function on the 'left hand' of the page ... type in banana cake & select 'anytime' ... you will find lots of recipes.

winnie231, Aug 12, 5:41am
Having said that - I've just done a search for a recipe from here I've made several times now - it's very easy & very good!
Originally posted by mackenzie2 - including her comments ...

Banana Cake

This is one I make all the time, and it is great. . Beat 3 eggs, 1. 5 cups sugar, then add 1/2 cup cheap oil and 3/4 cup sour cream & 3 ripe bananas beat all, then add 2 cups white flour 1. 5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp baking soda Beat till nice and smooth bake 170 degrees for 1 hr I ice with white and dark choc I make this at work and it is the most requested of all, keeps really well I double and put one in the freezer. Enjoy. Sorry left out some info... I bake mine in either a high sided 22inch tin or if I want to strech the servings in a larger square.

pats3, Aug 12, 5:52am
Thank you Winnie for explaining the search function and the recipe above which sounds really nice. I want to make one tonight but won't be able to make the one you posted as don't have any sour cream, but will definitely give that a go next time.

Thanks again.

pats3, Aug 12, 5:58am
I feel silly now not knowing what noonesgirl meant by doing the search thing. It's ages since I've been on Recipes but I think I will be doing a lot of copying and pasting into a Word document now - Lol.

Thanks for all your help.

winnie231, Aug 12, 5:59am
You're very welcome - I hope you find a recipe that suits you this time around. Happy cooking!

melg, Jan 17, 1:51pm
Thanks winnie for posting this. I have just baked this cake and it would have to be the best Banana Cake recipe ever.I added extra Banana's as well!

melg, Jan 17, 1:51pm
Thanks winnie for posting this. I have just baked this cake and it would have to be the best Banana Cake recipe ever....I added extra Banana's as well!

tinkagirl, Jan 18, 8:02am
Try this cake, it is moist and lovely

Chocolate Banana Yoghurt Cake

200 grams (8oz) melted butter
3 cups (12oz) S/F Flour
2 Cups (16oz) Sugar
½ cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 Eggs
1 Cup Yoghurt any flavour
1 cup hot water mixed with 2 tsp baking soda
2 bananas
Pinch salt

Mix altogether – bake at 160-180 for 1 – 11/2 hours

Large round 20cm – 25cm tin or square

Ice with Chocolate Icing

bluecalico, Jan 18, 8:12am
Annabel Langbein has a fantastic one in her 'best of' cookbook........very nice and moist...best ever tasted...got the book?...or would you like me to post recipe?

bluecalico, Jan 18, 8:12am
Annabel Langbein has a fantastic one in her 'best of' cookbook.very nice and moist.best ever tasted.got the book!.or would you like me to post recipe!

christineraewyn, Apr 21, 8:39pm
tinkagirl I made your cake-Yum. I was very pleased and will use it again. Thanks

r-mvz, Apr 21, 10:33pm
BANANA CAKE WITH CRUNCHY WALNUT TOPPING

125g butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
3 bananas
1/4 cup milk

Place soft butter and sugar in large bowl. Mix until smooth. Add eggs then bananas. Add flour, baking powder and milk. Mix until flour is just mixed in.

Trick is don't overmix a banana cake otherwise it will go gluggy.

Spread into greased circle tin. (I use a bunt cake tin). Next add topping.

TOPPING

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Melt butter and add remaining ingredients, combine together and drizzle over the cake.

Bake at 180oC 35-40 mins

keysie, Apr 21, 10:38pm
Coincidence, I just searched bananas this morning and sour cream banana cake and choc yoghurt one were the 2 i printed off, hubby thought sour cream one first so it is in the oven as I type. Hopefully is as good as it sounds. Choc yoghurt one next time.

muppet65, Apr 21, 11:48pm
the edmonds cook book on is the best

muppet65, Apr 21, 11:49pm
i double the recipe its a fatter cake yumuummm

camper18, Apr 22, 1:20am
Have made McKenzies recipe heaps and if I havent got sour cream have used yoghut or buttermilk ( make your own 2tsp white vinegar or lemonjuice to a cup of milk, @ stand 10 mins) Cake still comes out ok.

winnie15, Apr 22, 11:48am
i made this yesterday and its divine

"Banana Coffee Cake'
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 mashed bananas
1/2 tsp BP
100 gms butter
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tbsp coffee essence [iused 2 Tblsp]
1/4 cup milk
Pinch salt
1 egg
Cream butter and sugar. Add everything else Bake 160 30 minutes.
once cool ice with coffee icing ..

r-mvz, Apr 22, 10:33pm
BANANA CAKE WITH CRUNCHY WALNUT TOPPING

125g butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
3 bananas
1/4 cup milk

Place soft butter and sugar in large bowl. Mix until smooth. Add eggs then bananas. Add flour, baking powder and milk. Mix until flour is just mixed in.

Trick is don't overmix a banana cake otherwise it will go gluggy.

Spread into greased circle tin. (I use a bunt cake tin). Next add topping.

TOPPING

2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Melt butter and add remaining ingredients, combine together and drizzle over the cake.

Bake at 180oC 35-40 mins

calista, Apr 23, 12:26am
I've never made the Edmonds one in slice tins only in a ring tin and it always came out well.

bev00, Apr 23, 8:45am
Annabel Langbein's:

Ingredients

250g butter, softened
1 1/2c sugar
4 eggs
2t vanilla essence
4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 2 cups)
2t baking soda
1/2c hot milk
2t baking powder
3c flour, sifted
Method
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.

2. Line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.

3. Beat butter and sugar until creamy.

4. Beat in the eggs and vanilla then the bananas.

5. Dissolve baking soda in hot milk and add to mixture.

6. Fold in combined baking powder and flour.

7. Spoon into prepared tin and smooth top.

8. Bake 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top is springy to the touch.

9. Cool in tin before turning out.

Makes 1 large cake (about 10-12 servings). Sprinkle with icing sugar or ice with with lemon or chocolate icing.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 9:43am
I have not made banana cake in a very long time. There are only one or two things from the Edmonds book I would make, one is the banana cake (made in a standard ring tin) and the Albert square. I have made a couple of others from elsewhere, but the Edmonds one is pretty good.

winnie15, Apr 23, 11:48am
i made this yesterday and its divine

"Banana Coffee Cake'
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 mashed bananas
1/2 tsp BP
100 gms butter
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tbsp coffee essence [iused 2 Tblsp]
1/4 cup milk
Pinch salt
1 egg
Cream butter and sugar. Add everything else Bake 160 30 minutes.
once cool ice with coffee icing .