Country Womens Association Sultana cake recipe

Page 2 / 2
marcs, Jan 20, 8:39am
Thanks for the feed back. I will give it a go when I can.

vashti, Jan 21, 7:53pm
I use that one, I am not a great cook but that recipe is very reliable. Love the yellow Rally cookbook.

books4nz, Jan 25, 10:55am
Me too - and the recipe for Coconut Haystacks - divine!

onclemick, Jan 25, 9:38pm
Can someone please confirm if the sultanas should be drained or not in Sultana Cake posted by Marcs I would really like to make this but prefer to know so I don't spoil it, Thanks

marcs, Jan 26, 10:43am
It is not supposed to be drained. You need to add the whole lot in.

sweater, Jan 26, 7:45pm
OK thank you marcs I will make this cake now

whiskey13, Jan 26, 8:56pm
Sounds devine marcs.
Cant wait to hear how sweater's turns out :)

onclemick, Jan 28, 8:13am
Well I made this yesterday, unsure how much water to use, so ended up using 1&1/4 cups, I cooked the cake an extra 1/4 hour thought it was OK, but it sunk in the middle after I took it from oven. Partner could not wait to try it, while still warm, a bit soggy in the middle, today it was better, a really nice cake I will make again, but use less water or drain the water off. Still got thumbs up from partner though

marcs, Jan 28, 8:32am
Yeah was not sure about how much water but just barely cover it. If the tops of the sultanas show then that is fine. Gather the sultanas will absorb some. Or may be boil for 5 minutes. I have to try it yet myself. One of the others drained the water so may be do that if it doesn't work.

onclemick, Jan 28, 8:30pm
Partner just tells me he had slice of sultana cake in the early hours this morning and it was really nice, and wants one in the pantry often. It should be left for a day or so before cutting. I will be making again, but use less water, thanks marcs for shaing the recipe

janbodean, Jan 28, 9:26pm
I actually liked the Aussie flour when we lived there and had no problems with my baking. Strange that you are finding the flour poor over there when you consider that their wheat is pretty much used over here to make our flour.

marcs, Jan 29, 12:11pm
Not sure what they do to their flour. It does alright in most cakes but just does not like the fruit cake but different brands of plain flour has different protein content as well. I have never liked the Australian flour but guess I have to learn to work with it.

griffo4, Jan 30, 7:43am
Marcs l made this today l brought the sultanas to the boil and removed from heat first thing this morning and left them till later and the water had mostly soaked up and it was completely cool like recipe said
l only just covered them with water and then shook the pot to make sure l didn't have too much and they settled down
l made it up and baked it and this is the first sultana cake hubby gave the thumbs up
l have made many over the years but none could replicate the ones made for him when he was younger
l had long given up trying up but this recipe got my interest and it has been worthwhile
THANK YOU

wron, Jan 30, 8:25am
I just copied the recipe from marcs, then added all the suggestions etc that followed! Will make in the weekend.

floralsun, Jan 31, 2:52am
Thanks for the recipe marcs :-)

clair4, Jan 31, 7:42am
Thank you for the nicest sultana cake. Made it today and I did not drain the sultanas. Nice and moist. Have eaten some whilst still hot, I made it in a 9 inch square tin. Far too much for the two of us, so will freeze some tomorrow. Thanks marcs

onclemick, Jan 31, 9:02am
How long did you cook this for griffo4 and clair4 I am going to make again and use less water as it is a really nice fruit cake, I would like to get it perfect next time, I also have always wanted to make a good sultana cake with a nice taste for years and this would be the best I have made so far.

clair4, Jan 31, 7:34pm
IO cooked longer than the time allowed. Put in a skewer a couple of times as it was not cooked at first. Probably at least another 1/2 hour but test until cooked is what I did. My oven is not the best for baking and does not give true cooking times. The cake turned out really lovely.

anne1955, Jan 31, 9:20pm
I make one sounds same I drain water off and don't actually boil fruit just bring to boil turn off heat leave for 5-mins or so drain off then add butter and melt it in warm fruit be it mixed or just sultanas and then all other ingredients and cook lovely cake never had it fail. Fact making 2 this week for 2 50ths as they asked for a light fruit cake colour wise. so white sugar not brown for a darker cake.

marcs, Jan 1, 7:13am
Does anyone have this old recipe. My MIL can't find her recipe book. She says it was orange I colour.

suzannelg, Jan 1, 8:36am
I have a copy of the 1965 Womens division of federated farmers cookery book (Blue cover) which has a recipe for a "Never Fail Sultana Cake"

1lb Butter
6 Eggs
11/2lb Sultanas
Pinch of Salt
1lb Sugar
11/2lb Flour
1t Baking Powder

Mix 1T cornflour w/ 6T cold water, add to 1C boiling water and thicken, cool and add alternatively with flour and fruit to the cake mixture beating thoroughly. Bake for 3 hours in a moderate oven.

marcs, Jan 1, 9:19am
Nope not that one.

hezwez, Apr 10, 11:06am
marcs are you referring to the orange-coloured Rally Cookbook? Could it be this recipe?
Sultana Cake
500g/1 lb sultanas
3 eggs
375g/12 oz flour
1 teaspoon lemon essence (optional)
250g/8 oz butter
375g/12 oz sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

Place sultanas in a saucepan, cover with water and boil 5 minutes. Pour water off and put butter into hot fruit. Leave to melt. Beat eggs and sugar and beat well. Stir in fruit and butter. Add sifted flour and baking powder and essence if required. Pour into tin and bake 1 & 1/2 hours in a moderate oven.