Fluffy custard squares

Page 1 / 3
slaintewesties, Nov 8, 6:59am
x2
hi just wondering if anyone knows how to make the fluffy custard, like the one in a very well known South Island custard square. Thanks in advance. Cheers

seasiders, Nov 8, 7:03am
Hi I have a recipe I got off the net, its not the secret one but very similar, will find it and post it on a thread I just startedfew minutes ago- cafe recipes :)

seasiders, Nov 8, 7:05am
Ps when I was looking on net lots of recipes were posted as replica custard squares (of the ones you are talking about) which said to make custard the traditional way, but dont make it that way, its def not the same, it would just turn out like normal old custard squares

pam.delilah, Nov 8, 7:08am
post postinggraebalz

Custard Squares similar to denheaths
In a pot heat slowly 1 1/2c of milk, 1 1/2c cream and 100g of butter. Whisk together in a bowl, 4 heaped Tblsp of cornflour, 3 dsp icing sugar, 2 eggs, 1 capful of vanilla ess. & 1 cup of cream. When first measure of milk and butter has melted pour in the remaining mixture and bring to the boil very slowly whisking frequently. Into this mixture I add half a tub of cream cheese. Frequent whisking mixes the cream cheese so there are no lumps, cook until the custard is thick – cool for about an hour. Cook 2 sheets of (pricked with a fork all over) pre rolled pastry – as I said I will now use sweet crust pastry. Cook as per instructions on back of packet. When pastry is cooled I cut it to fit my square Tupperware container, put one layer of pastry in container pour over custard, pop other pastry layer on top and ice with normal icing and sprinkle with coconut. It does take time but the slaving over the stove is worth it! Hope you enjoy as much as we do! I do wonder if beating the custard with the cake mixer while it is cooling would make it fluffier??

slaintewesties, Nov 8, 7:12am
wow thanks alot didn't expect such a quick reply cheers

seasiders, Nov 8, 7:19am
Defrost and fork 2 sheets of ready rolled puff pastry. Bake at 180 FF for 10-15 minutes, opening the oven and prodding with a fork to make sure the pastry stays flaky but flat. Cool. Cut to fit the square tupperware container (maybe 25 cm x 25 cm x 10 cm?). Cut one into 16 smaller squares (4 x 4)

With an electric beater beat for 3 minutes:
3 x 100g Cottees instant vanilla pudding mix packet ( or equivalent in greggs brand etc)
600 mL cream
600 mL milk

Lay the whole slice of pastry in the bottom of the tupperware container, scrape in the custard and flatten, place the 'jigsaw' second layer on and push down slighty. Make some vanills icing andsprinlke with coconut.
Refridgerate overnight.(or as long as you can wait lol)Slide knife through upper pastry and custard and cut lower pastry to serve.

Sounds too easy I know, but its the closest Ive ever tasted to those famous custard squares!Very popular my son has been nagging me constantly to make these again!

seasiders, Nov 8, 7:24am
x1
forget about the tupperware container, it might be easier to just lay on a big tray,
Also I would mix it longer than 3minutes.
I like the way it says to cut the pastry for the top, because last time I made these I didnt and it splurted everywhere when i went to cut it!

seasiders, Nov 8, 7:26am
yumm.. pam.delilahs recipe sounds interesting with cream cheese in it

slaintewesties, Nov 8, 7:27am
thanks very much seasiders cant wait to try it

cottagerose, Nov 8, 8:42am
I tasted Jamie Olivers recipe for custard squares a few weeks ago but cant find the recipe on google.
They were lovely tho.
If anyone can finds it can they please post it.

skippie1, Nov 8, 11:04am
When next time I'm in a bookstore I will check out Jamie Olivers cookbooks for the recipe,ha, maybe we will find it.

mackenzie2, Nov 8, 9:18pm
This is the one I have made for years and it is lovely light and fluffy, quiet easy to....
Heat 3 cups milk and 100gm butter Shake the following together in a sealed container till mixed - 4 heaped Tbsps cornflour 6 tsp icing sugar 2 eggs 1/2 cup of each milk and cream. Add to the milk/butter mix and simmer 5 mins till thick, when thick add 1 tsp vanilla. Cool Cook 2 pces of pastry. Put custard between pastry and ice with the following 30gm butter (melted) 1/2 v tsp vanilla, icing sugar and water to mix, sprinkle with coconut. Enjoy

cottagerose, Nov 9, 3:42am
Thanks skippie1. I never thought of that. Good one!!!

rosathemad, Oct 28, 7:46am
Seasiders, I made that recipe the other day - someone commented on my blog directing me here. Pam.delilah, your recipe is next on my list! (might be a few weeks before I fully come down from the sugar high though)

My experience is here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/10/ultimate-custard-square-hunt-fake.html - I didn't think it was much like the Denheaths but very impressed how good the custard was, given how it's made! :-)

babytears, May 2, 2:18am
There is a product you can buy from Trents or Gilmours Food Warehouses- it makes the custard squares just like the Denheath ones, I have wanted to buy it, but you can only get it in 5kg bags apparently... I have also totally forgotten the name... hoping someone here may know it

trademequeen, May 2, 3:08am
The denheath custard is not cooked. :)Got that from "some-one" in the know :)
My sis in law makes hers with a pkt of instant pudding beaten into 300mls cream. Before baking one of the sheets of pastry score it with a sharp knife into squares (don't cut right through).Much easier to cut the finished product.
Iced with passionfruit icing is nice as is the normal vanilla & topped with coconut. She also squiggles over some melted chocolate just to decorate.Very yummy :)

lindylambchops1, May 2, 3:45am
I often use plain cream crackers for the pastry base & top.They are already in desired squares.I place them in the square Tupperware box.Will try the methods above using the crackers.Son was only requesting them the other day.
Some lovely custard recipes here.Thank you all for sharing.

lindylambchops1, May 2, 5:09am
I just made this one using the cream crackers as the pastry & on top of the icing have put mango & passion fruit topping with a sprinkling of coconut!Can't wait to the see the family's faces at tea time!

n00dle, May 2, 5:25am
By the looks of rosathemad's photos on the blog and reading some comments, it sounds like these would be a rival for Australia's equivalent of the custard square, known as "vanilla slice".When we lived there I bought these from Brumbies regularly (and other places).They were fantastic, and I miss them alot!!

nzl99, May 2, 5:31am
These were my little ones... the instant pud idea is fab!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.1619069196381.2086546.1225939081&l=6998839d12

Lindy... bet they are delish!:-)

pickles7, May 2, 6:52am
Cold kramess, mock cream, beaten in .

rarogirl1, May 2, 6:59am
Try this 50ml bottle of cream mixed with a packet of vanilla instant pudding. Instead of icing on top sift icing sugar.Yummy truly.Too easy

lindylambchops1, May 2, 7:44am
They aren't quite set we are all waiting to try them lol

babytears, May 2, 9:36am
Oh my gosh... that's the name I as after in my earlier post "Kramess' YES!

lindylambchops1, May 2, 9:45am
OMG!My custard squares were the best I have ever made.