How to thicken custard?

tazzaboy2, Jun 14, 7:08am
made some custard for my son from the pams custard box..been whisking for ages..it wont thicken..he's 8 months so cant add suger..added his formular milk as he cant have cows milk yet..think i have just wasted it..just runny but in the fridge..

jbsouthland, Jun 14, 7:09am
mashed banana...?

theanimal1, Jun 14, 7:11am
do you have any normal corn or wheat flour? if so a little in water added to very hot custard and stir like crazy, even farex if you have some.

tazzaboy2, Jun 14, 7:18am
dam outta banana's..

tazzaboy2, Jun 14, 7:19am
will try farex first...can i leave in the fridge overnight??? without the thickening..

pickles7, Jun 14, 7:36am
buy a pkt of "Gregg's seameal custard". Your baby will love it. You do need to be careful with starch, with little babies.

jody23, Jun 14, 9:42am
adding a little more custard powder made into a paste with water would have worked surely

jag5, Jun 14, 9:40pm
I have found that sometimes it does not pay to compromise on quality therefore I still only buy Fielders Cornflour, Edmonds Custard Powder...the lesser brands just are not the same....never have good results

wheelz, Jun 14, 9:55pm
Sounds like not enough custard powder was used or too much liquid. I have used 'lesser' brands with no difference.

propagator, Jun 15, 12:19am
x1
You did cook it didn't you?

buzzy110, Jun 15, 1:59am
I haven't made custard from a packet for at least 30 years but I thought that even though it is a pre-mix powder, it still has an egg in it. Try heating it gently with a beaten egg in it. It should thicken up eventually.

babytears, Jun 15, 3:06am
No egg until after one.

Have you tried adding a bit more custard powder?