chicken or fish please

shellz596, Feb 25, 10:21pm
My old man work's so hard from 6 in the morning till 6 at knight, I would like to make him somthing very special with fish or chicken, can you help me, even if it's just a nice sauce to go with it somthing different, looking forward to what you may have, there is some very good cook's out there, thanks shells

245sam, Feb 25, 10:38pm
shellz596, maybe it would help if you told us what type of fish and what cut of chicken (e. g. a whole chicken, drumsticks, boneless fillets... . . ) you have available.

If you have the time and would like to browse through some great recipes, have a look at:- http://trademecooks.net.nz/index

On that link you'll find recipes for all the different ways of cooking all the various cuts of chicken as well as a choice of recipes for many of the different types of available fish, and there are sauce recipes there too.
Good on you for wanting to create that special meal to show your man just how much his hard work is appreciated - I hope he enjoys and appreciates the effort you make. :-))

valentino, Feb 25, 10:54pm
Crumbed Fish with wasabi Cream

3/4 c fresh breadcrumbs
3/4 c cornflakes
1 sheet nori torn roughly
1/4 tsp paprika
4 x 150g pieces firm white fish fillets
Plain flour for dusting
1 egg white
1 tbsp skim milk &
1 spring onion thinly sliced matchstick size mostly green part.

Wasabi Cream;
1/2 c low-fat natural yoghurt
1 tsp wasabi paste
1 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise &
1 tsp lime juice.

Preheat oven 180c.
Combine crumbs, cornflakes, nori and paprika in a food processor and process until the nori is finely chopped.
Dust the fish lightly with flour, dip into the combined egg white & milk, then into the breadcrum mixture.
Press crumb mixture on firmly all over then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Line a baking tray with baking paper and put the fish on paper.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the fish flake easily with a fork.
To make Wasabi cream, mix all ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl.
Serve with fish and sprinkle with a little spring onion.

rainrain1, Feb 25, 11:05pm
Valentino you make my mouth water :-)That sounds so good

valentino, Feb 25, 11:39pm
Yes rainrain1, that recipe is very nice, yet so simple to do.

Great when one has a very food processor, makes a nice difference in food preparation.

Cheers.

Oh, this next one is a chicken Ballotine, great not only for dinners but also as a snack or if one is going somewhere - lovely to take or have ready at home... It is really lovely and worth the time to do it...

Cheers.

valentino, Feb 25, 11:40pm
Chicken Ballotine

1. 6kg chicken
2 red capsicums
1 bunch of silverbeet
30g butter
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
½ cup Parmesan grated
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano &
200g ricotta.

One can ask a butcher to debone a chicken but it is easy to do oneself…
To bone chicken, cut through the skin on the centre back with a sharp knife.
Separate flesh from the bone down one side to the breast, being careful not to pierce the skin.
Follow along the bones closely with the knife, gradually easing the meat from the thigh, drumstick and wing.
Cut through the thigh bone where it meets the drumstick and cut off the wing tip.
Repeat on other side, then lift the rib cage away leaving the flesh in one piece and the drumsticks still attached to the flesh.
Scrape all meat from the drumsticks and wings, discarding the bones.
Turn the wing and drumstick flesh inside the chicken and lay the chicken out flat skin-side down.
Refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 180C.
Quarter capsicums, remove seeds and membranes.
Place skin-side up under a hot grill until the skin blisters and blackens.
Place in a plastic bag and allow to cool, then peel off the skin.
Remove stalks from silverbeet and finely shred the leaves.
Melt butter in large fry-pan and add garlic and onion.
Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft.
Add silverbeet and stir until wilted and all the moisture has evaporated.
In a food processor, process the silverbeet & onion mixture with Parmesan, breadcrumbs, oregano and half the ricotta.
Season to taste with salt & cracked pepper.
Spread the silverbeat mixture over the chicken and lay the capsicum over silverbeet.
Form the remaining ricotta into a roll and place across the width of chicken.
Fold and roll the sides of chicken in over the filling so they overlap slightly, and tuck the ends in neatly.
Secure with toothpicks and tie with a string at 3cm intervals.
Lightly grease a large piece of foil and place the chicken in centre.
Roll the chicken up securely in foil, sealing the ends well.
Place on a baking tray and bake for 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours, or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the centre.
Allow to cool, then refrigerate until cold before removing foil, toothpicks and string.
Cut into 1 cm slices to serve.

Great with a very special salad.

shellz596, Feb 26, 12:19am
Thank you 245sam, thank's for the kind words, I doworry about him, silly a ha ha, I have had a look in the thread and there is nice ones there, thought I would leave the cut up to you guys, it would make it easy for you.
valentino thay both sound just loverly I think the chicken one is a real mans dinner so will give this one a go tonight, and the crumbed fish on monday, what is wasabi, ? and do I have to use it? many thanks to all:-)

valentino, Feb 26, 2:02am
Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish, is quite rare fresh in other parts of the world but the paste is readily available at most supermarkets and Asian - Japanese stores.

It comes in a tube about 4 - 6 inches long and is very strong on it's own.

It has an unique flavour hence "Wasabi Cream in the recipe above.

One will find quite a few recipes around requesting Wasabi to be used especially Japanese based recipes.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

shellz596, Feb 26, 2:45am
A big thank you, I have been to the shop and have all I need to do the chicken one, so that's it for to knight, yes thank you, I have had it befor, (wasabi that is ) thanks for your help and will get back to you with a report on the dinner, it will be a big hit, thank you thank you, have a good weekend . :-)

valentino, Feb 26, 2:52am
shellz596

Hopes all goes well and if you did everything as such, then it will be a big hit.

Cheers.

valentino, Sep 9, 11:41am
Later on you may want to try this Beauty as well.

Chicken and Ham Pie

Pastry;
3 cups plain flour
180g butter chopped &
1/3 cup iced water.

Filling;
1kg chicken mince
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried sage
2 eggs lightly beaten
3 spring onions finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tsp French mustard
1/3 cup cream
100g sliced leg ham finely chopped &
1 egg extra lightly beaten.

Preheat oven 180c.
Process flour and butter in food processor for 20 seconds or until mixture is fine & crumbly.
Add almost all of water and process for 20 seconds or until mixture comes together.
Add more water if needed.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface and press together until smooth.
Roll out 2/3 of pastry, line a 20cm springform tin, bringing the pastry up 2cm higher than the sides.
Cover with plastic wrap.
Set the pastry trimmings aside.
To make the filling, place chicken and ingredients to & including cream in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
Place half of chicken mix into pastry lined tin and smooth the surface.
Top with chopped ham then the remaining chicken mix.
Brush around the inside edge of pastry with the extra egg.
Roll out remaining pastry and lay over the top of mixture.
Press the edges of pastry together.
Trim the pastry edges with a sharp knife.
Turn the pastry edges down.
Use your index finger to make indentations around the inside edge.
Decorate the top of pie with pastry trimmings.
Brush the top of the pie with remaining egg and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Serve the pie warm or at room temperature.