Fish in slow cooker?

macke, May 23, 10:26pm
Planning to make a thai curry in the slow cooker with cubes offish in it.I have just bought the slow cooker so haven't tried fish in it before - will it overcook if I put it in at the beginning?Should it be frozen, or added halfway through cooking???

harrislucinda, May 23, 11:06pm
didyou getabookwithit<couldsaycookingfishin thatIhaveneverdonefishIfasoftfishmightputithalfwaythru cooking

macke, May 23, 11:40pm
Did get a book but it doesn't mention fish, can't really find anything on google - guess I will just wing it and see what happens!

gerry64, May 24, 12:03am
will be interested to see how it goes

kay141, May 24, 12:46am
I have both of Alison Holst's slow cooker books. There are several fish recipes in each but no curry. In all the recipes apart from salmon, she uses thick fillets of firm white fish.The cooking times vary from 1 hour to 4 hours with 1 hour being the most common. Perhaps you could do the curry with all the other ingredients and put in large cubes of fish about 1hr before you want it.

macke, May 24, 3:16am
That is what I'm planning on doing.Curry has been cooking since this morning, will pop fish in around 5pm and cross my fingers!

buzzy110, May 24, 3:49am
I'd like to make an observation if I may.

It has been my experience that when raw fish is added to a hot sauce or liquid to cook it will give up a lot of liquid. I think (and it is only my opinion) your Thai curry, which is probably perfectly formed at this point, with the correct texture and thickness, will thin down and start to separate because of all the liquid that will come out of the fish.

If it were me doing it I would cube and gently pan fry the fish and add it to the sauce at the last minute.

macke, May 24, 3:56am
oh really, never thought about that!!I will give the fish a wee fry before adding it, thank you!!

gerry64, May 24, 4:10am
macke thats what so great about this MB isnt it - someone like buzzy buzzes in and gives a tip that can make all the difference

macke, May 25, 12:32am
Curry was delicious - fish perfectly cooked after one hour!(I used Southern Kingfish)mmm, leftovers for lunch today!

kay141, May 25, 12:46am
I have both of Alison Holst's slow cooker books. There are several fish recipes in each but no curry. In all the recipes apart from salmon, she uses thick fillets of firm white fish.The cooking times vary from 1 hour to 4 hours with 1 hour being the most common. Perhaps you could do the curry with all the other ingredients and put in large cubes of fish about 1hr before you want it.

gerry64, May 25, 1:09am
Thanks macke for checking in with the result - will give it a try

buzzy110, May 25, 3:49am
I'd like to make an observation if I may.

It has been my experience that when raw fish is added to a hot sauce or liquid to cook it will give up a lot of liquid. I think (and it is only my opinion) your Thai curry, which is probably perfectly formed at this point, with the correct texture and thickness, will thin down and start to separate because of all the liquid that will come out of the fish.

If it were me doing it I would cube and gently pan fry the fish and add it to the sauce at the last minute.