Food and Safety Certificate?

bestdeals, Oct 17, 9:34am
You know that little piece of paper that hangs in every bakery with an A-B-C rating on it? Well where and how can I get one?! Thinking of starting up a lil home business venture which involves sweet making so I need to know, do I need a certificate of any kind?

dorothy_vdh, Oct 17, 6:40pm
I would suggest you contact your local council and speak with someone there, possibly the health inspector

winnie231, Oct 17, 7:07pm
Contact your council.
Each district has it's own regulations but the minimum requirement anywhere is a registered kitchen & achieving this at home is hard to do. You're not allowed pets for a start!

punkinthefirst, Oct 17, 7:27pm
Here's the Regulation on what you need to do for registration of food premises:-
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1974/0169/latest/DLM43749.html?search=qs_all%40act%40bill%40regulation_food+hygiene_resel&p=1#DLM43749
You will also need somebody working there with a Food Hygiene Certificate (your local council probably does courses).
On the other hand, if you already have the Food Hygiene Certificate, have you thought of renting an already-registered kitchen (think cafes, small restaurants, local halls, etc.) So long as you leave the place clean and tidy and non-sticky, there are lots of small restaurants and the like who'd be only too happy to earn some extra money by renting their kitchen out part time.

horizons_, Jun 7, 7:08pm
Ditto the above post. Very difficult to get your own kitchen liscencesd, and no go if you haver pets.