Gluten Intolerant - but not Coeliac x2

Page 3 / 21
herika, Aug 7, 5:17am
Its great now that gluten sensitivity has been given official status. For all those people who are sensitive and non-Coeliac andcant have gluten, cows milk, vege gums, additives and preservatives, and various other foods such as peanuts, soy, tomatoes, rice, corn etc etc it means we will be taken seriously. Hopefully this thread will help get the message out there! :)

gaspodetwd, Aug 7, 5:28am
I find herika great! I have done a lot of reading research on lots of aspects of diet - as a Mum. I am not a Doctor or a specilalist but I do know what makes the individuals in my family ill or behave strangely! I have been shocked by some advice that hospital dieticians gave me as they didn't seem to understand whatbeing gluten free really entailed - when there are oterh foods to be avoided as well...

gaspodetwd, Aug 7, 5:29am
I also find that 2 in my family have very similar foods problems as herika. So I come here for great reading - not recipes.

herika, Aug 7, 8:42pm
thank you for the lovely comments gaspodetwd Im glad this thread helps. Some people just dont have the time to do the research, it can take hours and hours, so when I have the time I post what I find in the hope that it will help others. :)

herika, Aug 9, 7:10am
bumping for Sunday evening :)

herika, Aug 9, 7:12pm
I like to keep an open mind and therefore am quite intrigued in the sour dough thread. I wonder if anyone who is gluten intolerant/sensitive and NCGI has tried this bread and had no symptoms? I would be very keen to find out as it sounds very interesting and does make sense. So if anyone has tried with bread successfully please let us know :)

gaspodetwd, Aug 11, 5:01am
recipe needed for a Gluten free pasta sauce - Can't base it on bacon or tomatoes, or eggplant, or capsicums or sausages... We now CAN have parmesan and limited other dairy. Anyone got a carbonara type thing? Orpesto type thing? ? ? please. TIA

herika, Aug 11, 7:20pm
This is just an idea, could you try substituting the tomatoes and capsicums etc for leeks and peas? And as its the whites of the eggs that usually are the problem just use the yolks. Are you ok with cream? If not what about using evaporated milk? ? ? (it would take a while to condense down tho I spose). Use herbs to flavour it, parsley is good. One thing I do sometimes is to stir fry what ever I want in the way of onions, garlic, veges etc just in oil using plenty of herbs such as oregano, dill, basil for flavour then add some stock, and thicken with maize cornflour. You could try that over or mixed with pasta and sprinkle the parmesan on top. :)

herika, Aug 11, 8:30pm
I noticed in gaspodetwd's post they mention they cant have tomatoes and capsicums. These plants are "related" into what are called genus (family) groups. Often if a person cant have tomatoes then chances are they cant eat capsicums or anything in the same group. Other groups are:in the Cabbage family, broccoli, brussels sprouts etc. In the buckwheat family is rhubarb and sorrel, in the cucumber family its: gherkin, melon, squash and marrow. There are many more and doing a google search will give you the rest :)

herika, Aug 12, 2:52am
Ive been so careful with my diet for so long and now seem to be able to eat some things I normally cant. Some of them I still have to be careful about, like corn, but there are some things, like tuna, I seem fine with now. Im too scared to try anything with vege gums in though! Im finding the acid free tomatoes good and have even started eating mussels (cut up and made into fritters). Ive been using Kings Choice Ezi Cook Basmati rice lately and find it very good. :)

frances1266, Aug 12, 4:04am
Pasta sauce without tomatoes 3/4c cashews
1/4c pine nuts
1T lemon juice
1 garlic clove
2t yeast flakes
1/2t thyme
1/2t salt
1/4t black pepper
3/4c water
Blend until smooth and mix with cooked pasta and warm through for a few seconds.

herika, Aug 12, 7:20pm
Yeast flakes could be a problem for some people otherwise that seems like a good substitute, I wonder if the yeast could be left out or something else used. I like stir frys and have them quite a lot. I use Braggs All Purpose Seasoning (Soy sauce) as it has no alcohol, vege gums or yeast in it. It also has no: preservatives, additives, colouring agents or chemicals and is not fermented. It is non-GMO certified soybeans and purified water only. For a marinade add apple cider vinegar, garlic, honey, lemon juice, brown sugar or what ever combination you like. :)

herika, Aug 12, 7:55pm
Ive been reading more about The Gluten Syndrome and the latest information makes for interesting reading. Researches (in NZ) have found gluten most often damages other tissues, organs, nerves or even nerves in the gut, beside the villi, meaning NOT NECESSARILY including the villi. In these cases villi biopsy is negative. There are gluten related antibodies (gluten itself, gluteomorphins, wheat - the whole kernel, and IgMs) which early investigationsindicate many patients have that are not checked in common "celiac "panels. Standard tests usually only test tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA, IgG) and sometimes gliadin (AGA-IgA, IgG) . Some researchers believe tTG (today's screener) is NOT always elevated in all gluten syndrome patients.

herika, Aug 12, 7:59pm
continued... Published research indicates that gluten may at times break down into a number of "pieces" or glutenins for which there are no tests at this time. For this reason, it is suspected that some patients may react to gluten in ways that cannot be confirmed by current inadequate antibody panels. Also: other foods may cross react with gluten antibodies. Practitioners suspect these other cross reactive foods may keep gluten antibodies running high even on a strict gluten free diet, or they may react on their own and produce symptoms similar to the gluten free diet. Foods believed to cross react include wheat, barley, rye, corn, soy, milk, eggs, yeast, coffee, sesame and chocolate, and in some cases, oats. Even some non gluten grain substitutes may rarely trigger reactions in a few people, including buckwheat, quinoa and millet.

herika, Aug 12, 8:02pm
Reading that explained so much to me and answered so many of my questions no one else has been able to answer. It has given me a better understanding and confidence too. I hope it helps others out there :)

earthangel4, Aug 12, 8:29pm
Thanks so much for this, I have noticed I am not so well, when I eat, eggs and cheese, fatty meats, coffee and I have trouble with gluten as my tummy, ankles and face swell up and I get so tired, and run down and live in the loo.
Thankyou Herika for taking the trouble to do this

herika, Aug 14, 1:28am
You're welcome earthangel4 Having a gluten sensitivity as well as not being able to eat other foods as well makes it difficult sometimes but at least now people who are NCGI and have other food allergies etc are being taken seriously. Have you tried just eating the egg yolk as its usually the white that causes the problem. Some people find Slippery Elm powder helpful too. :)

geminisis, Aug 14, 3:20am
Hi there... My son (2) is Gluten Sensitive and has a peanut allergy and gets hives on his face and neck when he touches fresh tomatoes, eggplant and capsicum(Potato ok) However I am trying to take potato and all tomato products out of is diet now to see if I can rid him of his less obvious reactions... wee skin iritations/bloated gut etc. Dr Rodney Ford did the tests and he has the 'markers' for Coeliac Disease, so could well develop it no matter what. So there is a connection there between the GS and CD.

geminisis, Aug 14, 3:24am
Next will be his soy milk... . which he looooves. Wont touch goat, cow or rice milk. . really picky wee fella. Makes it hard as his diet is already very limited. Wont eat chops, steak, chicken, or fish. Just gf sausages and mince, and limited vege. Nightmare! You bet I keep trying!

herika, Aug 18, 2:57am
it must be very hard for children with food sensitivities etc. Hopefully reading through this thread will help you, there is a wealth of informaiton in it :)

herika, Aug 21, 5:41am
bump bump :)

herika, Aug 22, 10:19pm
Dr Rodney Ford is very informative when it comes to gluten issues. This is taken from a newspaper article: Ever wonder how gluten can cause such a wide array of symptoms in so many different people? Dr Fordjust may have the answer – that gluten causes symptoms, in both celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, by directly and indirectly injuring nerve networks that control various organs and systems in the body. Gluten can provoke significant ill health other than celiac disease and symptoms “outside” the gut, such as the skin condition eczema and the nervous system disorder ataxia. Interesting.

herika, Aug 25, 6:46pm
bumping for Wed :)

herika, Aug 25, 9:24pm
bumping for rotorbladz :)

herika, Aug 27, 2:08am
I read this the other day: "Published research indicates that gluten may at times break down into a number of "pieces" or glutenins for which there are no tests at this time. For this reason, it is suspected that some patients may react to gluten in ways that cannot be confirmed by current inadequate antibody panels. Many patients choose to listen to their own bodies' message and are thankful the body was able to tell them something is not right, even in the face of inadequate negative testing".