Doubling/tripiling gluten free cake mix

charmed14, Jun 10, 7:20pm
I am using a cake recipes from the australian womens weekly kids cake cook book, I usually make this gluten freen by substituting the flour for a bakels mix.My question is, for the cake I want to make, it needs three lots of mixture.I know some recipes don't work gluten free if more than 2 1/2 - 3 cups of flour are needed.Any ideas if I could triple it?Or should I downsize to just double? Also it says to cook for an hour in a moderate oven, but at that amount of time for gluten free maybe I should lower the temp?

music_note, Jun 11, 11:32am
I've doubled or tripled many cake recipes, and would think that gluten free would work the same, as you're doubling or tripling every ingredient in the recipe, so the balance of wet to dry ingredients is the same.

I use the same temperature as the recipe and start checking the cake after that first hour of cooking. Place some tinfoil over the top when it's starting to brown, and when it's close to being cooked, take the foil off so the top browns - unless you decide to leave the foil on to achieve a paler look.

Test with a skewer or knife regularly after that first hour - and take it from the oven once cooked.

It wouldn't usually take 2 or 3 times the cooking time - mostly it's not a lot longer than for one recipe, depending on the thickness of the cake - ie, you'd probably use a larger dish that means the cake is close to the same thickness as for one recipe.

I hope this is of help..