Gluten Intolerant - but not Coeliac x2

Page 20 / 21
herika, Nov 6, 7:41pm
Hi, wow, I didnt know that!I havent taken any prescription medicines over the years so didnt have to worry about it.
Gluten might not be an active ingredient, as they call it, in their medicine, but it can certainly be active in a persons digestive system!
Thanks for the info and I will most certainly let any health official I know be aware of this.

winnie15, Nov 9, 6:11am
i have cut out most of my sugar ,all dairy, eggs and wheat , i have more clarity , less fatigue and less fibromyalgia pain, i have also lost 9 kgs. I eat mainly chicken or fish & veges, and have at least 8 glasses of water a day. I'm not celiac but i do have a sensitivity of some sort to wheat, gluten, plus sulphrites in foods including dried fruit hams and salami's. I dont miss all this food because they make me feel very sick. i did try buckwheat as an alternative but i get bad tummy from it. anyone else find buckwheat a problem!

bedazzledjewels, Nov 9, 6:28am
You may be interested in this comment:
"Wheat Germ Agglutinin - "It isn't all about the gluten"

http://primalmuse.blogspot.com/2010/11/wheat-germ-agglutinin.html and this one - "Medical Acceptance of the Celiac Pandemic: Is the Decades-Old Ridicule Ending!"

http://primalmuse.blogspot.com/2010/11/medical-acceptance-of-celiac-pandemic.html

herika, Nov 10, 7:03pm
Dr Rodney Ford is very informative when it comes to gluten issues.This is taken from a newspaper article: Ever wonder how gluten can cause such a wide array of symptoms in so many different people! Dr Fordjust may have the answer – that gluten causes symptoms, in both celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, by directly and indirectly injuring nerve networks that control various organs and systems in the body. Gluten can provoke significant ill health other than celiac disease and symptoms “outside” the gut, such as the skin condition eczema and the nervous system disorder ataxia.

herika, Nov 15, 7:19pm
I guess its just a matter of getting the balance right too, enough fibre but not too much!

herika, Nov 20, 7:14pm
bumping for Monday and hoping the info in this thread is a help :)

herika, Nov 27, 2:45am
"Even Coeliacs have to be very careful: 'A breadcrumb won't hurt someone with coeliac disease'.MYTH.
Even very small amounts of gluten can be toxic to people with coeliac disease. Taking sensible steps to avoid cross contamination with gluten is therefore important.

Top tips include:
keep cooking utensils separate during food preparation and cooking, avoid frying food in the same oil that has previously been used to cook gluten containing foods,use a clean grill, separate toaster or toaster bags to make gluten-free toast,use separate breadboards and wash surfaces thoroughly". All this information was taken from the NZ Coeliac Society website :)

herika, Nov 30, 8:02pm
Hoping the info in this thread is of help.There is a lot of new information coming out now and its good to learn anything that will make being on a gluten free diet helpful :)

herika, Dec 9, 7:49pm
Hi angie, Im not sure,maybe the banana used was smallish, or maybe there wasnt enough liquid ingredients used.Everyone does recipes a little different and uses different measuring equipment etc and their ovens (temp) can be different too.If you are okay with dairy foods you could try using butter instead of marg.Other than that its just a matter of trial and error in relation to your particular situation.Hope this helps:)

herika, Dec 9, 7:54pm
With Xmas just around the corner some people may need to be careful of that Xmas Ham.Carrageenan (seaweed extract) can be added to the gel when processing a ham. This can cause diarrhoea in some people.Also wheat starch, gluten and sodium caseinate can be in the brine used.If it doesnt mention these ingredients on the label you may need to ring the manufacturer and ask them.If they cant guarantee its gluten free it may be best to avoid it :)

gaspodetwd, Dec 15, 7:10am
Big shout out to the smokehouse in Chch. Making gluten free bacon! That doesn't contain preservative! And smoked salmon and beef and yummy yummy stuff. Has a cafe. Any gluten free people near Chch - it is worth a trip. We are well impressed.

weddingflowers, Dec 16, 3:46am
Herika you will know doubt know this - how do I cook a raw ham that I'm purchasing for my Christmas lunch!I am a coeliac and so is my daughter.I did cook one years ago using Sangrita wine as a base, but since moving I have lost that recipe.Any suggestions - for anyone would be gratefully received.Merry Christmas - Glenys

herika, Dec 26, 10:10pm
This info is from a NZ site: www.foodreactions.org.Non Coeliac Gluten Intolerance:
Many times when a person is screened for CD, tests indicate that the disease is not present. This despite that these persons suffer from symptoms upon digesting food containing gluten. This is very interesting or perhaps confusing to many. But put simply, this person may be Non Coeliac Gluten Intolerant (NCGI). It is estimated that around 15% of the world population is NCGI as opposed to less than 1% of Coeliacs.
Gluten consists of many long elastic chains of proteins lined along each other, giving it the characteristics of a dough. Not all of them cause Coeliac disease, but some can cause irritation to the small intestine, enough to hinder the cells of the lining from enzymes production to break down foods.
To confirm if you are NCGI do an elimination diet. Avoid all gluten food for at least two weeks and then introduce it. If symptoms return, and previous tests were negative or inconclusive then you know that you are NCGI.[/quote]
Thought Id repeat this info as its so important :)

seano7, Feb 29, 10:24pm
The goodness of food cafe is a full on cafe in carterton with everything gf they also own frillys gf.they have a web site frillys.co.nz

herika, Mar 13, 8:19pm
Hi seano7,
Thanks for that.I used to live in Carterton years ago :)

herika, Apr 6, 9:18pm
Is all white vinegar GF and safe!No:Heinz organic tomato ketchup lists as an ingredient:concentrated white vinegar (from wheat).
That sauce does not claim to be GF and says the white vinegar used is made from wheat which is good.
But be aware white vinegar can be made from a gluten containing grain so a label stating "white vinegar" does not necessarily mean its gluten free (just because its not malt vinegar).

seano7, Apr 7, 6:53am
Hey Herika, Awesome thread. yes there are alot of myths about coeliacd disease. like you can cure it . or just get over it. One chiropracter said he can cure it so I reported him in to the dhb. Many coeliacs suffer nut problems so why do they make food with nuts. the companys i set up i studied after i was told i am coeliac so i do it right as a pastry chef was a challange at first. I am soy free nut free and gf and wf I make everything on site and make everything from scratch. my bread is light and fluffy everything tastes like normal food tastes like. Pams is a gluten w vinager dyc is not watties is gf i talking about the tom sauce.

herika, May 9, 8:39pm
Thanks for that seano7.
I just discovered the yummiest yoghurt - by The Collective, its called Russian Fudge! I have to force myself to stop eating it or I'd eat the whole tub in one sitting!
They do a whole range of flavours - Ive got a tub of Lushious Feijoa to try next.
They are : probiotic, vegetarian, gluten, gelatine, preservative free and hand crafted!I can highly recommend these products :)

alford2, Jul 6, 4:00am
When I was thirty I was diagnosed by blood tests and symptoms as having tapanui flu and was told nothing could be done for it--just take things easy----when my doctor retired again sought blood tests and after rigorous investigations had possible coeliac and gluten intolerance diagnosed. Boy---the improvement in health when a correct diagnosis and diet-have just about given up the vitamin supplements which I tried to improve gut nuitrition absorbtion and without which life was impossible----

herika, Jul 9, 8:15pm
Hi alford2,
I know what you mean, for 5 years doctors told me it was IBS and prescribed Codeines!It didnt take long for me to figure out that wasnt the answer.
It only took 3 days for me to notice I was improving after going off gluten and then I stopped having cows milk and what a difference that made!
So glad you now have better health:)

gaspodetwd, Jul 10, 5:11am
Back from Dunedin - and Angus desserts had about eight GF cakes to choose from! Happiness is a five year old who can PICK from a choice of desserts!

Big shout out to them for working so hard for us GFfamilies. Well done. And if you find yourself in Dunedin try them out for yourself. The white choc and passionfruitcake was amazing.

herika, Jul 11, 2:53am
Hi gaspodetwd,
Thats great! Thanks for sharing, so good to know!

herika, Jul 11, 2:56am
Angus Desserts Cafe - 7 St Andrew St, Dunedin.Ph: (03) 479-2018

herika, Jul 11, 7:49pm
Its great talking to people who aren't Coeliacs but who have food allergies/intolerances having the knowledge and information to manage their diets and therefore not have any more problems.
It is so debilitating when foods affect someone adversely so having access to this info is so important.
Im glad this thread is helping so many people.

herika, Jul 17, 6:58am
Im trying something a bit different for dessert tonight:a rhubarb and raspberry crumble.Im using almond meal for the topping, looks pretty good so far