Wedding cake / royal icing

jaydub9, Sep 18, 7:18am
I am making the cakes for my sisters wedding in October. I am going to ice with royal icing, how can I stop this from setting too hard? I don't want her to have to get a chainsaw out to cut the cake!!

tortenz, Sep 18, 7:44am
I read that Glycerine is sometimes added to prevent the icing from setting too hard...

Personally, I wouldn't use royal icing though... I've only ever used it for hard decorations and accents.

margyr, Sep 18, 7:45am
hi there, use fondant icing to cover the cake and then the royal icing for decorating, it is suppossed to set hard.

outback_gal, Sep 18, 9:05am
Hi - I agree with margyr - use fondant (nice, pliable yet sets medium firm) cheap to buy at about $5 a packet. Good luck! cool of you to offer to do the cakes...

eternity04, Sep 19, 5:11am
Hi Jaydub9
Don't use royal icing to cover the whole cake as it drys way to hard. Thats how my sisters cake was covered and it broke up so much it wasn't funny. Go to your supermarket and look for Bakels fondant. You roll it out to put over your cake. To make sure you get it to the right size use a piece of string to measure it. Use your rolling pin to gently pick up the icing and place on your cake, use your hands in a cupped motion to smooth it around the corners of the cake. Make sure you use pure icing sugar on your table to roll it out on (you can get pure icing sugar from a cake decorating shop). You can use the royal icing for decorating the cake. Good luck, if you have any more problems just come onto here and I'll keep a look out and I'll be happy to help...Jan...

nauru, Sep 19, 8:47am
Use a few drops of glycerine in the icing prevents it from setting too hard. Remember this from cake decorating class.Our tutor forgot to tell us this when we were making our royal icing for our Christmas cake, come Christmas Day we all had huge problems trying to cut our beautifully decorated cakes.

twelve12, Sep 20, 1:08am
Melt marshmallows and knead more icing sugar into the goop... its amazing.My friend did it for her wedding, and the cake was fantastic.

jaydub9, Apr 3, 11:04pm
Thank you SO much for all your advice ladies. Jan, if I run into problems I'll come here to look for you! Julie.