Rice

Page 1 / 3
cookessentials, Sep 8, 9:21pm
No problem, let us know how you get on when you next cook your rice.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:43am
As we now have a pasta thread, may as well have a rice one too! whether it is a sweet and creamy rice pudding, a risotto or something else tasty, share it here.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:44am
Blue Cheese & Pancetta Risotto.

I love risotto and this is a tasty one. I also do a mushroom and blue cheese one which is also nice.

1 tablespoon olive oil
180g piece pancetta (or speck or bacon), cut into 1cm strips
1 small (100g) brown onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 litre (4 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
1 cup (250ml) water
11/2 cups (300g) arborio rice
1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
1/2 cup (90g) frozen peas
100g firm blue cheese, crumbled
20g butter, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (40g) grated or flaked parmesan cheese, optional

Heat the oil in a large saucepan; cook the pancetta until browned lightly. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until the onion is soft but not coloured.

Meanwhile, combine the stock and water in a medium saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, keep hot.

Add the rice to the pancetta mixture; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to the boil; simmer, uncovered, until the wine has almost evaporated.

Add the stock mixture in ½ cup (125ml) batches to the rice. Cook, stirring, over a medium heat until the stock mixture is absorbed after each addition. Taste the rice after about 15 minutes to see how much longer it needs. Add the peas for the last 5 minutes — the total cooking time should be about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. The risotto should be quite runny.

Add cheese, butter and season to taste with a little salt and pepper if needed; stir until well combined.

Spoon risotto into warmed serving bowls; stir in grated parmesan or top with parmesan flakes, if you like it really cheesy

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:47am
Creamy Rice Pudding
An all-time favourite in our household as a kid. Mum used to use half ordinary milk and a tin of evaporated milk, which makes a beautiful creamy rice,very similar to the "Ambrosia" tinned rice in England -try it, you will be a convert!!
Ingredients:
4 tbsp short grain rice
1 tbsp sugar
3 & 1/2 cups of milk (use 1 tin evaporated and the balance in ordinary milk)
15g butter
nutmeg
Method:
Place rice in buttered dish. Add sugar & milk (just use the ordinary first,add evaporated a bit later) dot small pieces of butter over the top and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Bake at 160 for 1 & 1/2 hours,stirring every 30 minutes. As it begins to thicken,stir in evaporated milk and continue cooking till creamy(I add extra milk if required) usually another 30 minutes or so.

cookessentials, Sep 5, 6:54am
Spanish Chicken & Rice

1 tablespoon olive oil
1x whole chicken, jointed into 8 pieces (or chicken pieces or legs)
1 chorizo sausage, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 green capsicum, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
1 cup white wine
4 vine ripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped
11/2 cups chicken stock
pinch of saffron
2 bay leaves
1 cup green olives, optional

Heat oil in a large high sided frying pan. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.

Add chorizo, onion and capsicum to the pan. Cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in paprika and rice.

Add wine to the pan and cook for a minute. Add tomatoes and return chicken to the pan. Season and add stock, saffron and bay leaves. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Stir in the olives if using. Cook a further minute and serve.

NB-Saffron should be soaked in a little warm water first,before using, throw it all including the lovely coloured saffron water

cottagerose, Sep 5, 7:15am
Rice pudding

Use the aborio rice as you cant buy short grain rice

100gms rice
5 cups milk
1/2 cup castor sugar

Boil for 10 mins, stirring, on stove top then add drop vanilla ess and pop in moderate oven until it has a skin on top

cookessentials, Sep 5, 8:51pm
Rice Cakes - Courtesy of my copy of the Healthy Food Guide Mag

2 cups leftover cooked rice
3 eggs
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat cheese
185g can tuna (use lemon pepper flavour if you have it)
handful fresh herbs (I used parsley and basil)
salt and pepper, to season
spray oil

Step 1 Combine all ingredients except oil in a large bowl and stir with a spoon.

Step 2 Heat a pan over a high heat and spray with oil. With clean hands, shape rice mixture into palm-sized patties. Place into the hot pan. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden and cooked through. Serve with salad, or if you make them without meat or fish, serve them as a tasty side dish with meat.

vix.tribe, Sep 5, 10:14pm
Rice cakes look good... cheers! :-)

cookessentials, Sep 5, 10:18pm
They would be nice for a light lunch or summer meal and served with a good green salad on the side. Check out the meat, potato and pasta threads too for some good ideas.

wasgonna, Sep 6, 2:49am
Is the 4tbsp of rice correct as it doesn't sound much.

wasgonna, Sep 6, 2:53am
Who said you can't buy short grain rice?

sara134, Sep 6, 3:50am
I havent got a recipe to share but a question on how to make your rice not sticky?I normal have boil in the bag which is great but have just been to the cupboard and found i dont have any only basmati rice which i always find ends up sticky :(

sara134, Sep 6, 3:51am
P.S That creamy rice pudding sounds delicious!

cookessentials, Sep 6, 4:52am
yep, but add more if you want to feed more people and add more milk as required over the cooking time. The evaporated milk is a MUST as it makes it so creamy.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 9:33pm
How do you cook your rice Sara?

sara134, Sep 7, 12:43am
just in a pot of boiling water.i tried adding oil to the water last night 2 and still sticky.I did wonder if it was the way i was cooking it or the type of rice?

cookessentials, Sep 7, 2:10am
Basmati rice usually does not go sticky. Rinse your rice well first, get the water boiling before you add rice. A drizzle of olive oil on the top of the water. Rinsing the rice, not only gets any impurities off it, but also washes away some of the starch. You wash it until the water runs clear. You may also be using too much water to cook it in.
INSTRUCTIONS:
Wash 1 cup of rice in a sieve until the water runs clear. Place in a saucepan with 2 cups water and a generous pinch of salt. Cover with a tight fitting lid and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer until all the water is absorbed – about 12-15 minutes. To check the water level, use a spoon to pull back the rice. It is important not to stir the rice or it will become sticky. Once rice is cooked remove from the heat, and leave to steam for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve. If using brown rice add an extra 1/2 cup of water and allow for 10-15 minutes extra cooking time.

sara134, Sep 7, 5:07am
thanx for that!Big help :)

cookessentials, Sep 10, 12:10am
Yellow Coconut Rice - Courtesy AWW Thai Cook Book

1¾ cups (350g) long-grain white rice
1¼ cups (310ml) water
400ml can coconut cream
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
pinch saffron threads

Soak rice in large bowl of cold water 30 minutes. Pour rice into strainer; rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Drain.

Place rice, the water, coconut cream, salt, sugar, turmeric and saffron in large heavy-based saucepan; cover, bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, without stirring, about 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; stand, covered, 5 minutes.

cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:29am
Bumping up for risotto recipe

bunny51, Sep 11, 7:48am
I made this for pudding tonight.
1/2 cup short grain rice, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 cups milk, splash vanilla
combine all and bake in oven 180 ish for about 2 hours,(Stir occasionally and may need to add extra milk) then seperate 2 eggs, add egg yolk and put back in oven for a while beat egg whites till peaks form, fold into rice pudding and serve. (I served wqith cream, this served 5 kids and me. with none left over)

seniorbones, Sep 11, 12:35pm
I only use basmati and cook it in the microwave, 1 cup of rice washed really really well, two cups of boiling water 1 tsp salt, in a large dish as high as possible as it can boil over, cover with gladwrap 11 mins ...leave for a minute of two and toss with a fork, never sticky. Sometimes I do 1-1/2 cups of rice and then the chooks get rice for breakfast!

seniorbones, Sep 11, 12:38pm
could you use 'light' carnation milk or would it not be as creamy? must try this I usually just use milk only and add 1 tabs of shreddo, makes it very creamy too.

cookessentials, Sep 13, 7:58am
bumping for the risotto recipe

cookessentials, Sep 23, 4:30am
Up for more please.