Page 2 / 3
indy95, Sep 27, 1:47am
Thai Rice Pudding

1 c arborio rice
1/4 c white or palm sugar
2 c coconut cream
1/4 c lime cordial concentrate
1-2 kaffir lime leaves or grated zest of 1-2 limes

This may be cooked in a slow cooker, on the stovetop or in the oven.

Simply combine all ingredients then either place in a slow cooker or in a saucepan or a baking dish.

In a slow cooker it will take about 4 hours on Low.

On the stovetop simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the consistency has thickened to your liking.

In the oven it may need extra liquid and will probably take about the same time as a conventional rice pudding depending on the oven temperature.

Can be served hot or cold.

valentino, Jun 2, 9:06am
Any others that can be added.

sarahb5, Jun 2, 9:47am
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/recipes/2007/october/peanut-chicken-and-rice

I brown the chicken in the frying pan and then throw everything into the rice cooker - easy peasy lemon squeezy .

sarahb5, Jun 2, 9:48pm
Never had rice pudding made with evaporated milk and I am English!My mum's rice pudding was just short grain rice, sterilised milk (like UHT), sugar, a sprinkle of rolled oats on the top (that's what made it creamy) and a bit of nutmeg if she had any

sarahb5, Jun 2, 9:49pm
I could quite happily eat a bowl of plain boiled rice with soy or hot chilli sauce and fresh ginger, or a dollop of jam for dessert - in fact, we often did have boiled rice and jam when we were kids - cheap, filling and yummy!

ruby19, Jun 2, 11:28pm
1 pinch saffron approx 1/2 tsp 2 tbsp o/oil 1 large onion chopped 4 cloves garlic crushed & chopped 1 large pepper red/ yellow for colour 2 large potabella mushrooms cut into chunks 1 tsp ground coriander 2 tsp sweet paprika 1/2 tsp smoked paprika 1 cup paella rice 1/4 cup wine ( red or white) 1 tin 400g chopped tomatoes 2 - 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock ( I add 2 then add a bit more if needed during cooking, as you want the rice to be cooked but remain firm not gluggy) 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste 1 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp salt freshly ground black pepper fresh parsley to serveCover the saffron with a coupleof tbsp of water in a bowl set aside. heat oil in a wide heavy pan, saute the onion, garlic, peppers, and mushrooms. for 5 min. Mix in the paprika. then add rice and stir through over the heat for a minute then add the wine, veg stock tomatoes saffron & soaking water, salt, cayenne, thyme and pepper. Bring to the boil, then lower to a simmer, cook for approx. 20 min uncovered, stirring often. Check liquid whilst cooking, add more as needed. Turn up heat to high for 5 min or until browned and a caramelized crust forms on the bottom side of the rice. watch carefully to ensure it doesn't burn. allow to sit for 5 min, garnish with fresh parsley.

sumstyle, Jun 26, 3:00am
I made CE's rice pudding at post 3 in the crock pot this morning.Used only 3 c milk in total.

For me, next time I do it I think I will add a pinch of salt, and no butter on top.

wheelz, Jun 26, 8:34am
made poster no3's rice pudding with the evaporated milk... was not a fan, wrong colour and taste for me. I prefer the old fashioned way or made with coconut milk instead.

cookessentials, Jun 26, 8:55am
That is the old fashioned way LOL...if you are English.

frances1266, Jun 26, 9:08am
For those who are dairy free soy milk makes a great rice pudding.I use 4T shortgrain rice, 1L soy milk, a few dots of margarine, sweetener - I use stevia,'grated fresh nutmeg on top, cook on low 1-1/2 - 2 hrs, stir after 3/4 hr then bake without stirring for rest of time.Really quick and easy.

wheelz, Jun 26, 10:41am
not English :-)

mwood, Jun 26, 11:28am
Rice with gravy - yep regular gravy - in the Philippines they serve KFC with rice (better than the chips) and have a waiter wandering around with a big jug offering "bottomless" gravy to pour on the rice - try it I serve it like this here in NZ.

mkbooks, Jun 26, 12:25pm
Put half cup Basmati rice per person onto heavy -bottomed pot-rinse rice well in cold water-until cloudiness goes, then cover with about 2.5cm (1 inch)cold water. Bring to boil, then -turn element to medium, + bubble off nearly all water-until there arejust "mudpool' like plops. Put on tight lid, turn element to just warm + let rice steamfor about 15 mins. Fluff up with fork before serving. Done it this way for 40 years + always good

sumstyle, Jun 27, 3:00am
I made CE's rice pudding at post 3 in the crock pot this morning.Used only 3 c milk in total.

For me, next time I do it I think I will add a pinch of salt, and no butter on top.

wheelz, Jun 27, 8:34am
made poster no3's rice pudding with the evaporated milk. was not a fan, wrong colour and taste for me. I prefer the old fashioned way or made with coconut milk instead.

cookessentials, Jun 27, 8:55am
That is the old fashioned way LOL.if you are English.

frances1266, Jun 27, 9:08am
For those who are dairy free soy milk makes a great rice pudding.I use 4T shortgrain rice, 1L soy milk, a few dots of margarine, sweetener - I use stevia,'grated fresh nutmeg on top, cook on low 1-1/2 - 2 hrs, stir after 3/4 hr then bake without stirring for rest of time.Really quick and easy.

mkbooks, Jun 27, 12:25pm
Put half cup Basmati rice per person onto heavy -bottomed pot-rinse rice well in cold water-until cloudiness goes, then cover with about 2.5cm (1 inch)cold water. Bring to boil, then -turn element to medium, + bubble off nearly all water-until there arejust "mudpool' like plops. Put on tight lid, turn element to just warm + let rice steamfor about 15 mins. Fluff up with fork before serving. Done it this way for 40 years + always good

cookessentials, Sep 6, 6:47am
Creamy Rice Pudding
An all-time favourite in our household as a kid. Mum used to use half ordinary milk and a tin of evaporated milk, which makes a beautiful creamy rice,very similar to the "Ambrosia" tinned rice in England -try it, you will be a convert!
Ingredients:
4 tbsp short grain rice
1 tbsp sugar
3 & 1/2 cups of milk (use 1 tin evaporated and the balance in ordinary milk)
15g butter
nutmeg
Method:
Place rice in buttered dish. Add sugar & milk (just use the ordinary first,add evaporated a bit later) dot small pieces of butter over the top and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Bake at 160 for 1 & 1/2 hours,stirring every 30 minutes. As it begins to thicken,stir in evaporated milk and continue cooking till creamy(I add extra milk if required) usually another 30 minutes or so.

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 10:14pm
Rice cakes look good. cheers! :-)

wasgonna, Sep 7, 2:49am
Is the 4tbsp of rice correct as it doesn't sound much.

wasgonna, Sep 7, 2:53am
Who said you can't buy short grain rice!

sara134, Sep 7, 3:50am
I havent got a recipe to share but a question on how to make your rice not sticky!I normal have boil in the bag which is great but have just been to the cupboard and found i dont have any only basmati rice which i always find ends up sticky :(

cookessentials, Sep 7, 9:33pm
How do you cook your rice Sara!

sara134, Sep 8, 12:43am
just in a pot of boiling water.i tried adding oil to the water last night 2 and still sticky.I did wonder if it was the way i was cooking it or the type of rice!