DO NOT BROWN

Add 1 tsp each of:
turmeric
cumin
cinnamon
ginger
and a good grind of black pepper

Add:
1 can of brown lentils in brine (undrained)
1 can chickpeas in brine (undrained)
1 can crushed tomatoes (can be a flavoured can - roast capsicum or garlic is good)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup dried red lentils
2 cups of water (can add a little more later if it looks too thick)

Simmer gently until veg and red lentils are cooked - about 20 mins (no crunchy celery please!)

Salt to taste, although the brine with the pulses may be salty enough

Use stick blender to mush it, and add the juice of one lemon

Serve with a garnish of very thin slices of lemon :)

Note: You can cook your own dried brown lentils or chickpeas, of course.Cans make it quick and easy.

valentino, Jul 22, 3:53am
I usually cook Fisher's Chicken Drumstick Casserole quite often as one has International Students whom love various foods.

Last week, I only used half of the flour as wanted a more soupy type meal.
My taste buds started to kick in later in the afternoon for something like a "Sweet & Sour" sort of taste, so this is what one did.

Normally throw all in a 6 litre slow-cooker at the beginning but later on added a tablespoon of Chilli Flakes and about a 3/4 cup of sugar. After an hour or so, tasted to to check and nothing was altered, my taste buds was happy.

That evening, the whole dish was virtually demolished with a request (from Japanese Girl) to save some for lunch the following day.
Report came back, apparently she shared it with a few others (must had been only a spoonful or two, LOL) and demanding the recipe.

Cheers all.

valentino, Jul 22, 4:11am
A bit late in editing, but to the above Chicken etc...

I usually always add more liquid and an extra can of tomatoes when I do this recipe, just my personal thing as one loves heaps of moisture.

Editing to add .....Oh, bugger, went to page two, hmmmm.

Cheers.

elliehen, Jul 22, 5:06am
valentino...now they're side by side :)

spot20, Jul 23, 3:21am
Great thread! Yummy recipes!

valentino, Jul 23, 3:53am
I usually cook Fisher's Chicken Drumstick Casserole quite often as one has International Students whom love various foods.

Last week, I only used half of the flour as wanted a more soupy type meal.
My taste buds started to kick in later in the afternoon for something like a "Sweet & Sour" sort of taste, so this is what one did.

Normally throw all in a 6 litre slow-cooker at the beginning but later on added a tablespoon of Chilli Flakes and about a 3/4 cup of sugar. After an hour or so, tasted to to check and nothing was altered, my taste buds was happy.

That evening, the whole dish was virtually demolished with a request (from Japanese Girl) to save some for lunch the following day.
Report came back, apparently she shared it with a few others (must had been only a spoonful or two, LOL) and demanding the recipe.

Cheers all.

valentino, Jul 23, 4:11am
A bit late in editing, but to the above Chicken etc.

I usually always add more liquid and an extra can of tomatoes when I do this recipe, just my personal thing as one loves heaps of moisture.

Editing to add .Oh, bugger, went to page two, hmmmm.

Cheers.

elliehen, Jul 23, 5:06am
valentino.now they're side by side :)

tw1nkle, Jul 24, 6:03am
Bump :) Nice soup night...

sumstyle, Jul 25, 4:10am
Esquire Soup

2 T butter
3 large potatoes
1 large onion
1 large stalk of celery
3c chicken stock
2c milk
2t dry mustard
salt

Peel and roughly dice the potatoes, onion and celery.Add the veges to the butter in a large pot and sweat gently.Add in the stock and simmer gently until the veges are tender.Puree.Add the milk.Mix the mustard to a smooth paste with a little milk and then stir into the soup.Simmer gently for a few minutes.Add salt to taste.

Note:I added kidney beans today to bulk it out and it helped thicken it too, but made the colour not so nice so white beans would have been a better option.When I made this today, I did not have mustard powder, so I added in a little whole grain mustard to each bowl.2 teaspoons of mustard may be too strong for the whole pot if you aren't keen on it.

elliehen, Jul 25, 10:40am
Bumping soups because it is SOOOOOO cold in the south....

indy95, Jul 25, 11:22pm
Bumped for gennie

sumstyle, Jul 26, 4:10am
Esquire Soup

2 T butter
3 large potatoes
1 large onion
1 large stalk of celery
3c chicken stock
2c milk
2t dry mustard
salt

Peel and roughly dice the potatoes, onion and celery.Add the veges to the butter in a large pot and sweat gently.Add in the stock and simmer gently until the veges are tender.Puree.Add the milk.Mix the mustard to a smooth paste with a little milk and then stir into the soup.Simmer gently for a few minutes.Add salt to taste.

Note:I added kidney beans today to bulk it out and it helped thicken it too, but made the colour not so nice so white beans would have been a better option.When I made this today, I did not have mustard powder, so I added in a little whole grain mustard to each bowl.2 teaspoons of mustard may be too strong for the whole pot if you aren't keen on it.

elliehen, Jul 26, 10:40am
Bumping soups because it is SOOOOOO cold in the south.

elliehen, Jul 27, 5:15am
From the Dominion Post - Alison Holst

This is one of Alison's favourite soups. You don't need to be fussy about the size (or colour) of the kumara – if you use a large kumara and find the soup is rather thick, just thin it with a little extra stock or water.

This soup can be simmered all day in a slow cooker or cooked on the stovetop in about 30 minutes if you're in a rush.

Kumara, Coconut & Lentil Soup

For about 4 servings.

1 Tbsp canola or olive oil

1 medium-large onion, roughly chopped

2cm piece root ginger, grated

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp curry powder

1/2 cup red lentils

1 kumara, about 400g, peeled and cubed

3 cups boiling water

4 tsp chicken or vegetable stock powder

1 x 400ml can coconut cream

For either method: Put the oil and onion in a fairly large pot (or frypan, if you are using a slow cooker).

Cook over a medium-high heat until the onion is lightly but evenly browned. Add the ginger, garlic and curry powder to the onion, and stir for 1-2 minutes.

Slow cooker: While the onion mixture cooks, turn a medium-to-large slow cooker to high or low, depending on how much time you have available.

Tip in the onion mixture. Add the lentils, kumara, boiling water, stock powder and coconut cream.

Cook on high for about four hours or on low for about eight hours until the kumara is tender.

Put the stock (or stock powder/cubes and hot water) and the lentils in the slow cooker.

Add the mixture from the frypan, the finely chopped celery and the grated or finely chopped carrot (the carrot must be in small pieces, or it will not soften).

Thinly peel the kumara, cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half in slices about 5mm thick. Add to the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until everything is tender.

Stove top: When the onion has softened and the spices are fragrant, add the lentils, kumara, water, instant stock and coconut cream to the pot then stir.

Simmer, stirring now and then, for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is tender.

Either method: Mash, process, or blend with a hand blender until smooth.

Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.

elliehen, Jul 28, 5:15am
From the Dominion Post - Alison Holst

This is one of Alison's favourite soups. You don't need to be fussy about the size (or colour) of the kumara – if you use a large kumara and find the soup is rather thick, just thin it with a little extra stock or water.

This soup can be simmered all day in a slow cooker or cooked on the stovetop in about 30 minutes if you're in a rush.

Kumara, Coconut & Lentil Soup

For about 4 servings.

1 Tbsp canola or olive oil

1 medium-large onion, roughly chopped

2cm piece root ginger, grated

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp curry powder

1/2 cup red lentils

1 kumara, about 400g, peeled and cubed

3 cups boiling water

4 tsp chicken or vegetable stock powder

1 x 400ml can coconut cream

For either method: Put the oil and onion in a fairly large pot (or frypan, if you are using a slow cooker).

Cook over a medium-high heat until the onion is lightly but evenly browned. Add the ginger, garlic and curry powder to the onion, and stir for 1-2 minutes.

Slow cooker: While the onion mixture cooks, turn a medium-to-large slow cooker to high or low, depending on how much time you have available.

Tip in the onion mixture. Add the lentils, kumara, boiling water, stock powder and coconut cream.

Cook on high for about four hours or on low for about eight hours until the kumara is tender.

Put the stock (or stock powder/cubes and hot water) and the lentils in the slow cooker.

Add the mixture from the frypan, the finely chopped celery and the grated or finely chopped carrot (the carrot must be in small pieces, or it will not soften).

Thinly peel the kumara, cut in half lengthwise, then cut each half in slices about 5mm thick. Add to the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or until everything is tender.

Stove top: When the onion has softened and the spices are fragrant, add the lentils, kumara, water, instant stock and coconut cream to the pot then stir.

Simmer, stirring now and then, for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is tender.

Either method: Mash, process, or blend with a hand blender until smooth.

Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.

linette1, Jul 29, 5:03am
Need this up near the top.

nayna1, Jul 29, 9:53pm
Some great recipes on here. Will definitely try some of them.

chikky, Aug 16, 3:41am
can anyone help. is it alright to put canned tomatoes in chicken soup !
I have "glanced" through the recipes on here and NO ONE has tomatoes in chicken soup.I have several cans coming up to use by and wondered if I can add to chicken stock to make soup . thanks

sumstyle, Aug 16, 4:22am
Hmmm, well I make a tomato soup that I add chicken stock to, I think that's the same thing.

I finely cut up a few cloves of garlic and sweat them off in olive oil, then add in my cans of tomatoes and let them bubble away for a while.Add in a big thing of Campbell's chicken stock, some balsamic vinegar and a little brown sugar to taste.

So I use this as a soup, or reduce it right down to make pizza sauce.

valentino, Aug 16, 4:22am
Yes, I do this quite often and more so with a Chicken drumstick casserole which does have both, chicken stock or soup and canned tomatoes.

For an extra touch - try adding a wee bit of chillie flakes plus some sugar and do it by tasting, that is allow to simmer for a while then taste it and adjust as one likes.

Cheers.

katienz11, Aug 16, 10:47am
Yum, soup sounds nice with all this snow!
Does anyone know how to make brocolli soup!It sounds like the weirdest thing, but I had it in the US, and it was the nicest soup ever.It was a pretty thick consistency.It was delicious.

elliehen, Aug 16, 10:55am
From The Breeze:

Best Broccoli Soup
Soup is so easy with the right equipment – with a Kenwood food processor it is a breeze.

½ cup good quality olive oil

2 small onions

8 cloves garlic, finely chopped

40g chopped potato

1 litre quality vegetable or chicken stock

1 kg fresh broccoli (use stems if organic, remove them if not as they have little flavour)

1 tsp salt

2 tsp ground black pepper

fresh chervil

your favourite blue cheese crumbled

METHOD

Place olive oil in large heavy based saucepan.

Chop your onions and garlic in the food processor.

Saute over slow heat till translucent, but not coloured.

Do not rush this stage.

Add potatoes and cook for a few minutes while stirring.

Add stock and cook till potatoes are tender.

Add broccoli and simmer until just tender – no more or you will lose the great green colour.

Puree in food processor and then season.

Serve.

Annabelle White’s tips

* To serve crumble room temperature blue cheese onto the top of the hot soup and serve.Chopped fresh chervil is delicious as well but if that is not possible – chopped fresh parsley works a treat!

* Soup always tastes better the next day – make ahead and if serving at a dinner party – use your beloved slow cooker – heat up soup prior to guests arrival and place in warmed slow cooker – keep on high with lid on and guests can help themselves.

sumstyle, Aug 17, 4:22am
Hmmm, well I make a tomato soup that I add chicken stock to, I think that's the same thing.

I finely cut up a few cloves of garlic and sweat them off in olive oil, then add in my cans of tomatoes and let them bubble away for a while.Add in a big thing of Campbell's chicken stock, some balsamic vinegar and a little brown sugar to taste.

So I use this as a soup, or reduce it right down to make pizza sauce.