Help - Male in charge of feeding family

jennie5963, Oct 5, 2:29am
My lovely SIL is now unable to manage in the kitchen which leaves my brother fully in charge of chef duties for themselves and 11 y/o son. I have passed on everything I have titled 'Never fail xxx' and wondered if Trademe cooks here had any basic, nutritious recipes I could pass on. Apparently he is ok with spagetti bolognaise. Thank you in advance.

valentino, Oct 5, 2:39am
From a mere Male, just leave him be for a while, allow him to find his comfort zone then suggest some recipes after a wee selection of some that should be of assistance if required.

Think the trick is something like " He can Cook' and allow him to start thinking like that.

Hopes this helps.

P.S. Of course one can direct him here to gain further ideas.

Cheers and all the best.

jennie5963, Oct 5, 2:55am
Oh, thank you, very wise. I guess cos he's younger than me I always think he needs my help!! I shall remain silent observer for now.

cookessentials, Oct 5, 3:08am
Yes, i agree...he will surprise himself i am sure. One website that he may find really useful is the "Blokes Who Bake" website...it is specifically for blokes and they have some great recipes and support. They have a savoury section as well as baking and desserts. Go to www.blokeswhobake.co.nz
There are also some great "specific" threads here such as the "meat" thread, "potatoes", "rice" "Desserts" threads which are specific to those titles and lots of people have contributed some fab recipes.
So many guys are just fab in the kitchen and he will get the hang of it I am sure,especially as time goes on.

daleaway, Oct 5, 3:11am
Perhaps just pass on some of your best "emergency" recipes- simple stuff for the cook in a hurry. Anyone would be grateful for those!
When this situation happened in our house, I taught my husband principles rather than recipes... how to make a basic stew, roast, stirfry. He soon caught on and is now turning out some wonderful stuff and getting creative - because he understands the basics. It makes sense to him as chemistry.

uli, Oct 5, 7:39am
That is how I learned to cook as a child and how I teach others who never cooked: Learn how to roast, bake, boil, steam, simmer, braise and sautee - and you are set for life. Once you know the basics then you can use these techniques for anything: meat, veges, fish, eggs and fruit.
Herbs and spices will come with more experience, as will salads and dressings. It is almost a trial and error thing to find out what one likes.

Good luck to your brother. He will be a good cook in no time :)

beaker59, Oct 5, 8:04am
Uli is right its about techniques learn those and the rest falls into place I have very few 'recipes' but feed a family I think quite well and healthily certainly the kids haven't got rickets or any such deficiencies.

I enjoy it, origonally it was a creative release after the corporate work day, now its full time everyday I bake bread and cook quisine from around the world including cakes and desserts roasts curries casserolespies etc etc.

Most men actually enjoy it once he learns to enjoy it he will never look back all else fails hey its BBQ season :)

toadfish, Oct 5, 4:32pm
Great words above...

The only thing I would add is to maybe spend some cooking time with the 11 year old son.... to help share the load, as I find with my hubby... he would cope technically... to a point lol.... but its fitting it around a busy business that he has issues... .

Spend some time with him after school or on the weekend and send him home with a Shepherds Pie or a Lasagne... things he can replicate and lesson the load off your brother.11yrs old is plenty old enough.

cookessentials, Oct 5, 5:57pm
Agree toadfish, start teaching them as early as you can. My boy started at about 3 years, standing on a chair next to me helping out with things like whisking eggs,mixing,sifting etc. This is so important for young children andIMO, makes for less fussy eaters too, as they begin to have a real interest in food and its preparation. It also stands them in good stead when they leave home and go flatting.

cgvl, May 9, 4:58pm
If he can cook spag bol then the same mince/tomato base can be used to do nacho's, as a topping in baked potatoes, on toast or with vegies, used in lasagne and cottage pie.
Sausages are the same, curried, split and add cheesy mashed potato to them, in an onion gravy.
I'm sure he can cook a steak.

As Toadfish has suggested, the 11yr old could learn to cook as well. There are a couple of good childrens starter cookbooks out there that have nice meals in them.