2 garlic cloves
1.5kg (3lb) pumkin
1tsp coriander ground
1/2tsp cinnamon
1/2tsp allspice
750mill (1 1/4 pints ) hot vegtable stock
150g (5oz) frozen spinach
salt pepper
heat butter add onion and garlic cook over meduim heat for 5-6 mins until soft and golden
add pumpkin cooking for a further 8 min, stirring until beginning to soften and turn golden add spices and cook for 2-3 mins pour in the hot stock and bring to boil then reduce the heat cover until pumpkin is soft.
blend the pumpkin to smooth stir in spinach reheat for about 5 mins until spinach has melted and the soup is hot season to taste, add a bit of sour cream on top with pumpkin seeds and crusty bread. enjoy

purplegoanna, Sep 9, 8:40am
sadly no i cant stand walnuts in any shape or form.......how eva cream cheese, spring onion, pineapple and ham is my FAVOURITE vogels 'sandwich'

valentino, Aug 19, 2:18am
We have anumber of various threads with some really great recipes.
Think it is time we should have one for soups.
There are quite a few threads here with various soup recipes but just felt that if we could have one with some "Great Family Favourites" to which one can share with others.

I will kick of by starting with my really true beauty...

Phil's Favourite Vichysoisse Soup.

Cheers.

valentino, Aug 19, 2:19am
Phil’s Favourite Vichysoisse Soup

3 tablespoons butter
1 large or 2 medium onions chopped
4 large leeks thick green part removed, sliced lengthwise then chopped into small pieces
4 medium to large potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
6 cups Chicken stock preferably made with Maggi stock powder
1 cup of water in addition to stock liquid
Approx ¾ cup of white wine at least
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
300mil full cream
2 cups of milk
A bunch of chives chopped or snipped.

Melt butter in large saucepan.
Add chopped onion and chopped leeks and cook until softened about 10 – 15 minutes.
Add potatoes, stock, water, wine and seasoning and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Add cream and milk.
Liquidise all using a stick blender or transfer into a blender or food processor in batches to suit size of blender etc…

Chill in fridge, then sprinkle chives over when ready to serve or freeze in batches ( serving sizes to suit ) with chives sprinkle over each batch or serving pots.

Just a footnote to serving pots, I make up this large batch then divide into 4 large serving portions into plastic pots ex say those large natural vege yoghurt pots or Jimbos 1kg pet food plastic containers (great to re-use these once fully washed etc).

My friend ask me to make this for her constantly as an ideal lunch whilst working as a Home Cleaner. With them being frozen ready to use by simply taking one out the night before and is absolutely delicious cold.

Now enjoy this superb creamy soup.

darlingmole, Aug 19, 8:29am
wow that sounds lovely valentino~!

My husbands favourite is "mussel chowder"

1 large onion, finely sliced
2 or 3 cloves crushed garlic ... saute in butter then add
flour to make a roux, gradually adding milk and cream.
You can add a crumbled chicken oxo at this point.
Meanwhile steam open your mussels, remove beard etc
and finely chop then add to the above mixture.
Warm through, never boil.
Lastly add a handful of chopped chives or parsely.

fisher, Aug 19, 9:48am
Fisher's Famous Bacon Bone Soup
Smoked bacon bones can be quite salty so it is advisable to wash thoroughly before cooking
Ingredients:
5-8bacon bones. . soup mix. . 2 bay leaves. . salt . . white pepper . . black pepper corns crushed. . onion salt. . oregano. . soy sauce. . swede. . potatoes. . carrots. . celery. . 3 onions. . capsicum. . spring onions. .
Preparation:...
Place your bacon bones in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring water to boil and turn down to simmer for 80 mins.
Remove the bones and remove all the meatWith fresh water, place meat and King's soup mix and bring to boil. Then Simmer for 20 mins... Wash and peel your vegetables and place ALL the peelings in a large pot. Cover with water add salt, pepper and a dash of soy sauce and boil. Strain the liquid from the peelings into the soup mix pot and discard the peelings...
Method:
Place half the chunky diced veges into a saucepan with a little salt and black pepper and boil until tender.
Drain 95% of water and puree with hand wand , then set aside.
To Main stock pot, add white pepper ( no salt ), onion salt, oregano, crushed pepper corns, bay leaves and balance of chunky vegetables. Cover and let simmer for 40 mins. Add pureed veges and stir in well. Simmer for further 10 mins and soup should thicken up.
Serve with real fresh bread and lashings of butter.

fisher, Aug 19, 9:53am
Chicken Soup
Family Traditional Soup made by my ma from way back and is magnificent served with real fresh bread and lashings of butter.
Take 5 chicken thighs and cover with water. . Add 1 tsp of salt, 1 onion chopped, 1 tsp of crushed peppercorns, 5 garlic cloves, crushed.
Bring to boil and simmer for 30 mins. . Remove chicken thighs and set aside. . To the pot, now add the leaves of4 celery stalks
the peelings of 4 carrots. . 2 bay leaves and let this simmer. . Scrape the outer fat off the chicken thighs and remove the chicken meat . . Set aside to cool. . Now place all the bones back into the pot and bring back to boil and then simmer 15 mins. .
Strain the juices and return to the pot and add a pkt of Kings soup mix (discard the peelings). . Stir, cover and simmer for 30 mins
While this is happening, chop up your carrots into chunky pieceschop up your celery stalks and chop 3 potatoes chopped into 2 cm squares... .
Add all this to the pot with a chicken oxo cube and cover and cook until vegetables tender. Remove 1/4 of the vegetables and place in bowl. Using a stick blender and a little soup juice, mash these vegetables to make a thick consistency.
Break up the chicken into small pieces, add to the pot for the last 5-10 mins. . This ensures the chicken is not overcooked and remains tender.

fisher, Aug 19, 9:56am
Roast Onion Soup
Preheat the oven to 190*C
Ingredients:
1 large bulb unpeeled garlic. . 5 tbsp olive oil. . 10 brown onions, peeled and quartered. . 2 tsp brown sugar. . sea salt and ground pepper. . 1 tbsp plain flour. . 6 cups beef stock. . 2 cups chardonnay. . 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped. . shaved parmesan cheese to garnish. .
Method:
Wrap garlic and coat with 1 tbsp olive oil in an aluminium foil parcel and seal... Place garlic parcel and onions, cut side down in roasting pan... Drizzle onions with the remaining oil and sprinkle with the brown sugar and roast for 50 minutes or until the garlic and onions are soft... Remove the garlic from the aluminum parcel and allow to cool. Cut into half and squeeze the soft garlic pulp into a saucepan along with onions...
Place over a medium heat. . Stir in the flour. Add 1 cup of beef stock and stir with a wooden spoon until thick, smooth paste forms.
Add the remaining stock and chardonnay and simmer for 15 minutes... Stir in parsley. . dont be shy. . Season with salt and pepper.
Serve soup garnished with a little shaved parmesan, and grilled garlic bread on the side.

fisher, Aug 19, 9:58am
Roast Tomato Soup
Nice served with garlic bread
Cut about 10 large tomatoes in half and place cut side down on tin foil in a baking tray along with several whole peeled cloves of garlic.
Drizzle with olive oil and add 1 tbsp brown sugar and rock salt. . Bake 180C for about an hour...
In a frypan, fry 5 onions until browned and 3 - 4 rashers of bacon until just crisp. . Chop up bacon rashers.
When cooked, place in large saucepan with tomatoes, 1/2 cup boiling water and simmer. Mash up the garlic cloves and add to the pot.
If too thick, add more boiling water and stir, add black ground pepper some fresh chopped basil, 1 tsp dried oregano and salt to taste...

fisher, Aug 19, 10:00am
Dough Boys
Place 2 cups self raising flour and pinch salt into a bowl... Add water and make into a HARD dough. Kneed out and cut into strips 3cm wide. Rip bits off and flatten with fork and add to boiling pot. . Stir to make sure they do not stick together...
Glad-wrap the extra uncooked dough~freeze and thaw for next time.

valentino, Aug 19, 9:59pm
Thank you darlingmole and fisher, some real good ones you both had posted, will add a couple more that one uses quite a few times... Cheers.

Pea and Ham Soup

500 grams yellow or green dried split peas
1 medium leek
1 tablespoon oil
2 carrots chopped
1 celery stick chopped
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 very meaty Ham Bone about 800 grams in weight (keep those Christmas ham bones with good chunks of ham attached in the freezer, one could even cut them up using a very clean hacksaw or get a butcher to do some and even scrounge some from a catering firm and all is ideal for this soup, one can use a bacon hock otherwise and add pieces of ham prior to serving but not quite the same taste as the proper ham bone).

Put the split peas in a bowl and cover with water, soak overnight.
Cut the leek in half lengthwise and wash thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt then slice thickly.
Heat oil in a large saucepan, add leek and carrot, celery and garlic.
Cook, stirring for about 3 minutes then add drained split peas, the ham bone(s) and 2. 5 litres of water.
Bring to boil then lower heat to simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
Remove ham bone(s) and set it aside to cool.
Cool the soup a little then using a stick blender or in batches in food processor, puree or blend the soup and return to pan.
Remove meat from the bone, chop and return meat to soup.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper, reheat gently and serve hot.

valentino, Aug 19, 10:19pm
Roast Pumpkin Soup

1. 25 Kg pumpkin or butternut peeled and cut into chunks
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 large carrot chopped
1 celery stick chopped
1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock, (both works great, choose to taste)
Sour cream to serve
Finely chopped fresh parsley to serve
Ground nutmeg to serve.

Preheat oven 180c.
Place pumpkin chunks on a greased baking tray, lightly brushed with half of olive oil.
Bake for at least 30 minutes or until pumpkin is softened and slightly browned around the edges.
Heat remaining oil in large saucepan.
Cook onion and cumin for 3 minutes then add carrot and celery, cook for a further 4 minutes stirring frequently.
Add the roasted pumpkin and stock.
Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
Allow to cool a little then puree or blend.
Return soup to pan and gently reheat without boiling.
Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
Top with sour cream and sprinkle with chopped parsley and nutmeg before serving.

If soup a little thick, thin it down with a little bit more stock.

If one had left-over roasted veges from the previous night’s dinner, this can be used.
Also for added touch, left-over roasted meats can also be added then puree a little or finely chopped, then gentle reheated in soup before serving.

Noted pumkin or butternut, butternut is slighly sweeter and milder than pumpkin.

Cheers.

purplegoanna, Aug 19, 11:33pm
... Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness.

valentino, Aug 19, 11:52pm
Oh purplegoanna, you have hit a soft spot with me... . love "grilled cheese toast" as you had noted.

Also use of coconut cream.

And one really loves bacon and garlic in soups, Cheers.

purplegoanna, Aug 20, 2:59am
lol im a grilled cheese on toast fanatic... ... nothing beats my homemade tom relish on vogels toast grilled with tasty cheese... ... . its my T when my beloved '3vege & meat' man is away... .

valentino, Aug 20, 3:08am
I even have some nice home made pickle or chow chow on mine so know where you are coming from.

Cheers

white_elephant, Aug 20, 3:11am
That roast onion soup sounds yummy, wish I enjoyed cooking as much as I enjoy eating.

summersunnz, Aug 20, 4:07am
Great thread Valentino :-)

#13 and #14 - me too - and I agree about the cheese being with home-made pickle and relish - as well as piccalilli - home-made and as chunky as possible!

catsmeat1, Aug 20, 4:23am
Cauliflower Soup
Well cook half a cauliflower, drain and mash
Add to a roux, made with 2 tbsp butter, 1 tsp chicken stock, 1/4 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp garlic and herb salt, 1 tbsp plain flour, milk.

valentino, Aug 20, 4:33am
catsmeat1, one has virtually the same recipe but twice the amount with a celery stick which one does quite often.

Agreed, Excellent soup as you have posted.

Cheers for your recipe.

And yes summersunnz, it is the others along with yourself whom are also making this thread worthwhile and thank you.

matiducati, Aug 20, 4:51am
EASY Chicken and corn soup

1pkt chicken noodle instant soup
1 tin creamed corn
1 egg - beaten

make up soup using 3/4 the water, add the creamed corn, heat either on stove or in microwave. Add egg to warm soup and whisk through. - Thats it! ! !

makes lovely thick soup that the kids love

I usually triple this for the family - this amount is more an afternoon snack.

anne1955, Aug 20, 8:11am
Hi Pea & ham soup how ever you make it serve it with just a pinch of dreied or fresh mint people just look at me. . we serve peas with mint and mint as a side on many things. . just try it. . it's worth the effort...
Now as for other soups I often use good King Soups as a base Now for the Minstrone after it's cooked as per packet says. I add depending on how many I'm feeding I add a can or 2 of Watties flavoured tomatoes be it Indian or Pesto what ever I only buy them when they are on special under the normal NW SI has them currently at 1. 49 on coupon. I also make tiny meatballs while making meatballs for other things... just buy that extra bit of mince, or if I have a nice few sausages by a couple extra...cook them like I would normally and add to cooked soup. . people love it... just gave a pot away to friends today. . and make scones or garlic bread. . to go with it. . or make dumplings for the top...

indy95, Aug 21, 12:22am
This isn't a family favourite yet but I'm sure it is going to be as it is really delicious. It's a Peter Gordon recipe:

Lentil, Parsnip, Mint and Parsley Soup

100 ml olive oil
4 medium red onions, sliced
4 T balsamic vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 T rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 t smoked paprika ( or regular paprika or cayenne )
1 heaped cup lentils, ( green, Puy or Spanish )
800 ml vegetable stock
2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut in small dice
Large handful flat leaf parsley
Small handful mint

Heat 2/3 of the oil in a pot and saute onions until they begin to caramelise. Tip half onions into a bowl and add the vinegar to the pot. Cook over a low heat to evaporate. If the onions taste a little sharp add a teaspoon of sugar. Remove these onions from pot and reserve.

Return the first bowl of onions to the pot, add bay leaves, rosemary, paprika, lentils and stock. Simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 20 minutes.

Cook parsnips in remaining oil, stirring frequently until coloured. Add to lentils and cook until parsnips are tender. Check seasoning, add chopped parsley and cook a few more minutes.

Just before serving stir in the mint and garnish with the balsamic onions. A dollop of yoghurt is a nice addition.

theanimal1, Aug 21, 7:57am
chicken and corn soup

Ingredients:
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (8. 25 oz) creamed corn
1 cup cooked diced chicken (skinned and boned)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Combine chicken broth, corn, and chicken pieces in a large saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Blend cornstarch with cold water and add to soup. Continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 minutes.

Beat egg whites until foamy; stir into soup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until foamy. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garish with parsley. Serve hot.

theanimal1, Aug 21, 7:58am
minestrone soup

thick 1 onion choppd 1/2 cup celery1 clove garlic crushed 25 grm butter 1 cup tomato chopped 2 cups cabbage fine chopped 2/ cups grated potato 2 cups grated carrots 1/4 cup green pepper chopped 75 grm vermicelli broken into small pieces 3tlbsp tomato concentrate 4 beef oxo cubes 1 ltr water 1 tlbsp parsley sat and pepper saute onion and garlic in butter add prepared vegs and rest of ingred bring to boil then add vermiceilli simmer 20 mins