Pumpkin soup
half a pumpkin skinned and chopped into chunks
2tablespoons chicken stock
1 onion diced
ground pepper
half a tsp curry powder
2L water
50g butter

Simmer all ingredients until tender ( about 45 mins)
leave to cool, blend until smooth.
Add 50g of butter and heat through,
season with ground nutmeg.

toadfish, Aug 21, 8:15am
Toadies Aunty B's Osso Buco & Vegetable Soup... . Just Beautiful! !

500gms shin of bee cut into 3cm peices
1 Onion Sliced
425gm can chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
300gms Potatoes cubed
3/4 Cup Pearl barley
2 T od Olive oil
1-2 tsp crushed garlic
1 T Tomato paste
6 cups beef stock
300gms Pumpkin cubed
200 gms Zuchinni sliced

Slice the meat, and heat the oil in a good sized pan and brown the meat in batches until a nice brown... drain on a paper towel. Cook the onion in the pan, for about 4 mins on a low heat add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the meat, tomatoes, tomatoe paste, oregano, stock, potato & pumpkin.
Wash Barley till water runs clear, then drain it and add it to the pan, bring to the boil, and simmer covered for 25 mins. Add the zuchinni and keep cooking till the barley is cooked

Note from Aunty B... I usually use campbells stock, but you can use homemade or maggi stock powder and water.

toadfish, Aug 21, 8:21am
Toadies Aunty B's Red Onion Soup.

1 T oil
1 T Flour
1 Cup red wine
20gms butter
4 cups beef or chicken stock
1 cup Tomato Paste
1 Kg Red Onions
Salt & Freshly ground pepper to taste.

Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Slice the onions very thinly. Add the onions and stir fry over a high heat for 3 mins, until starting to become soft and golden.
Reduce the heat and cook on med low stirring occaisionally until soft and golden brown.
Sprinkle with the flour and cook for a further 2 mins stirring constantly. Add the stock, wine & tomatoe puree, stir until mixture comes to the boil and thickens slightly.
Season to taste, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 mins.

valentino, Aug 22, 1:43am
Nice to see more recipes, thank you.

Another soup that is regurlarly requested by me friend and quite often at least 3 good sized fish heads, mainly Salmon.

Fish soup. ( An imprompto type recipe most of the time )

3 Salmon fish heads of very good size
1 medium onion chopped
3 cups chicken stock
Seasoning
3/4 cup white wine
Some fresh herbs like parsley
up to 300mil fresh cream being optional for creaminess and richness to taste. (Friend loves a very creamy soup and sometimes a little bit too creamy at times to me but suggest to use a bit at a time to personal tastes ! ! ! ).

In a very large saucepan just cover fish heads with water, bring to boil then lower heat to simmer.
Cook until flesh comes away.
Cool sufficient to remove all unwanted parts.
Add onion and stock to soup and bring to simmer.
Cook until onion has softened plus 10 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Using a stick blender, blend the soup mixture.
Add wine and seasoning to taste and blend all again.
One can add cream and blend in to suit to personal taste if a creamy soup is desired.
Add herbs and serve.

Once again, one normally allows this to cool, and freeze in serving batches as per my friend's liking.

Also one can use any type of fish including body parts if available to use. Noted even very cheap types of fish can be used.

I have smoked fish on the BBQ and have kept and used fish heads and other body parts in the above recipe and always comes out lovely.

Editing my spelling errors... hmmmm

Cheers.

theanimal1, Aug 22, 1:54am
taking the mickey here lol but how do you get shin of bee ? lol

toadfish, Aug 22, 1:55am
lol... imagine how many bees legs you would need to get 500gms worth... .

valentino, Aug 22, 3:23am
My Vegetable soup is basically much similar to Fishers recipe post number 4, but includes pumpkin. Like the idea of use of peel though, excellent thought.

Also Bacon Bones a must with me now as bacon hocks is a no - no for me (Doctor's orders) but bacon bones are more flovoursome and less fat content.

One normally does a very large batch of about 12 to 15 litres in a huge Soup Pot and allow to simmer for a good period of time topping up with moisture as desired to taste.

Then allow to cool and once again freeze in two litre (ice cream containers) batches, the freezing actually enhances the soup and prior to serving, simply warm up in a small slow cooker.

valentino, Aug 22, 11:44pm
A very nice and popular spicy soup... ...

Spicy Lamb Soup

This soup is quite spicy without the vidaloo paste, vary the amount added if one prefer a milder taste.

2 large onions roughly chopped
3 red chillies seeded and chopped or 2 teaspoons dried chilli
3 or 4 cloves garlic
2. 5cm piece of fresh ginger chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
5cm lemon grass white part only finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1. 5 kg lamb neck chops or shoulder chops
2 to 3 tablespoons vindaloo paste (optional)
2 ½ cups coconut cream
3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice
4 kaffir lime leaves

Put onion, chilli, garlic, ginger, pepper, lemon grass, cardamom, cumin, cinnamon and turmeric in a food processor and process to a paste.
Heat half of oil in a large pan and brown chops in batches, drain on paper towels.
Add remaining oil to the pan and cook the spice paste plus vindaloo paste for about 3 minutes.
Add chops and 1. 75 litres of water, cover and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for an hour.
Remove the chops from pan and stir in coconut cream.
Remove meat from bones, discard bones, shred the meat and return to pan.
Add sugar, lime juice and leaves.
Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about 25 minutes until slightly thickened.
Serve.

One can serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.

ruby19, Aug 23, 12:02am
Sweetcorn chowder,
2 large potatoes peeled & cubed
1 large onion chopped,
2 tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 tsp maggie green herb stock
1 400g tin creamed corn
1 cup corn kernals (frozen)
1/2 cup water
1 cup milk,
2 tbsp basil pesto
salt and pepper
pinch cayenne
1/2 cup sour cream

Saute the onions in butter until soft and golden do not brown, add the cubed potatoes water and stock powder and cook potatoes until just tender, add the creamed corn, water milk, sour cream, and gently bring to a boil, then simmer until heated through. Add the pesto and seasonings.

ruby19, Aug 23, 12:04am
Green split peas soup.

This is amazing since there are so little ingredients.

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1. 5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder*
a few pinches of smoked paprika

Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water and paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste.
* I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if liked.

greerg, Aug 23, 12:48am
Thanks for fish soup recipe valentino. I had something very similar in Dunedin a few weeks ago and was planning to try to recreate it. It was listed as seafood chowder but wasn't, although it was delicious. Had quite biggish chunks of hot smoked salmon in it. Akaroa Salmon in ChCh sells salmon heads and my husband smokes salmon fillets so I'm all set now.

indy95, Aug 23, 12:56am
Valentino, that Spicy Lamb Soup sounds absolutely scrumptious! I am definitely adding that one to my collection.

valentino, Aug 23, 1:03am
Thank you greeg, one thing one did not note is not to overdo the blending (mainly to break those smaller bones that one can easily miss), keep trial tasting to suit including the addition of cream if any and to maintain that real fishy taste... . . the key for me with salmon is the amount of oil they have especially in the heads.

And indy95, it is a very nice spicy soup, once again, taste as you go but is a lovely recipe especially in varying the spices to suit personal taste.

Also ruby19 for your recipes.

Cheers.

greerg, Aug 23, 1:35am
Thanks. Will do.

winnie231, Aug 25, 5:41am
bumping for cheese-mike

cheese-mike, Aug 25, 5:52am
Thanks winnie :)

motorbo, Aug 25, 6:05am
for those watching their money the green spilt pea soup is not only very tasty but about the cheapest soup you can make and its good for you!!

martine5, Aug 25, 7:12am
Hey have you ever tried creamed cheese and thinly sliced pickled walnuts on vogels? Its heaven

valentino, Sep 2, 3:50am
Bumped for chrisynz....

elliehen, Sep 2, 12:29pm
STORMY NIGHT SOUP
3 Tbs olive oil in large saucepan
Add 3 carrots, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
2 onions, quartered, thinly sliced
Season with salt & pepper
Fry gently till onion softens
Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp ground cumin (coriander)

Add 2 litres stock/water & bring to boil
Add 1 Tbs tomato paste
3/4 cup red lentils
2 Tbsp arborio rice or bulgar wheat
2 Tbsp pearl barley

Simmer 45 mins to 1 hour till very tender
Season if necessary
Add squeeze lemon juice
Serves 6 -8

logree, May 14, 4:17am
so many yummy recipes! Does anyone have a good recipe for Potato and capsicum soup! I have eaten this in restaurants and its so yummy

littlemissy1, May 17, 3:00am
Bumping for soup!

spot20, May 17, 3:23am
Soup bubbling away as we speak!

elliehen, May 27, 9:14am
Bumping for andrea09

valentino, Jul 22, 3:17am
Hi, just giving this a bump to rekindle some more nice soup recipes.

Cheers.