Storing potatoes

lelap79, Aug 18, 12:19am
What is best? I always seem to end up with green potatoes come time to use them. I just keep them in the plastic bag they came in in the bottom of the pantry.

winnie15, Aug 18, 12:24am
spuds are better if stored in a paper bag , in a cool area . . they don't like the light and that will make them go green. cover the bag with something to stop the light getting in.

lelap79, Aug 18, 12:41am
Cool thanks. I had to pinch some of a neighbour recently when I was having guest for dinner and found my potatoes to be green, and noticed she kept hers in the fridge, so I though that might be how it was supposed to be done.

winnie15, Aug 18, 1:10am
we don't keep ours in the fridge . . we grow our own spuds in the summer and when hubby digs them out we store them in sacks, and keep them in the garage where it's cool.
Spuds like to be kept in the dark and cool . . not sure about a fridge tho?

cookessentials, Aug 18, 1:31am
You can also buy potato storage bags which have a black lining to keep out the light. it amazes me that supermarkets sell them in plastic bags! So many times you rummage through them trying to find a bag without green ones in it.

susieq9, Aug 18, 1:39am
I don't buy the washed potatoes. Potatoes not washed are protected a little from the light with the dirt still on them. After getting the potatoes home, I empty them just into a lined small bucket, or similar. Then they go into the cupboard under the bench, or could put them into the pantry. There is only the 2 of us so only buy 4kg bags at a time.

cap, Aug 18, 2:27am
Susieq - do you line the bucket with paper?

cookessentials, Aug 18, 2:38am
yes, me too, I like them with the mud on

veejay13, Aug 18, 3:24am
Mine are in the garage in a cardboard box with an old towel over the top to keep out the light.

eastie3, Aug 18, 3:33am
They are sold in plastic bags because of 'consumer demand' and washed for the same reason. I remember being told this was so people could see they were not buying rotten potatoes, and they objected to paying for the 'protective' layer of dirt which added weight and therefore cost.

susieq9, Aug 18, 3:37am
Just line it with a supermarket bag or with a black one if you can. Cookessentials, I worked in fruit and vege shop for years and never took off the dirt when selling new potatoes. Stopped them from going green. I know that we had to pay a little bit extra for the dirt, but we compensated that by putting in another potato or two.

cap, Aug 18, 3:52am
Thanks - will go and put my "dirty" Agrias away now.

fisher, Aug 18, 9:20am
Kathy got a couple of real tidy wooden beer crates, I lined the bottom with thin ply and she painted them blue to match our pantry and decor. . Lined (stapled) the interior with netting which allows air flow. .
also made one for onions. . empty onions and spuds (crate takes exactly 10kg bag) and has cover to slide down on the inside. .
Into bottom shelf of pantry to just pull out to grab whats needed. . Looks novel and very useful. . works for us...

bisloy, Aug 18, 9:53am
Don't store your potatoes and onions next to each other - they hate it and make each other rot. I tried it and it's true!

fisher, Aug 18, 9:59am
LOL... yup, opposite ends of the pantry...

cookessentials, Aug 18, 10:22pm
I would rather pay for a bit of dirt tha have half a bag of unsuitable potatoes.

purplegoanna, Feb 6, 5:18pm
mine are in a plastic square bin from bunnings and someone special made me a plywood lid that fits ontop, its in my bottom cuboard so it just slides out when i need them.