What else can you do with Rump Steak

Page 1 / 2
bananabear, Aug 17, 4:24am
its on special this week was thinking of gettting a bit to freeze, apart from frying on the bbq (the only way we usually eat it) will it be ok for casseroles or too tough Thanks :)

deanocam, Aug 17, 4:31am
Steak Pie

Brown the cubed rump steak then set aside.
Brown 1 lge Onion and then add 3/4 cup water that has had a rich brown gravy added to it to thicken the mix, then put the steak back in and simmer on low stirring occasionaly for about 30 mins.
Allow to cool.
Line a pie dish with puff pastry(I use the ready made pre cut sheets) and add the steak mixture. Cover with another sheet of pastry and brush with milk or egg and bake at 200C for about 30 mins.
So yum and sometimes I also add bacon.
Serve with lots of mashed potatoes and vege...

Or when I buy rump whole so nice roasted...

seniorbones, Aug 17, 4:35am
stir frys, beef stroganoff, casserole, mince it and make hamburgers. Where is it on special?

winnie231, Aug 17, 4:36am
It's not so good for casseroles but great sliced thinly and used in stirfry type dishes.

fisher, Aug 17, 4:37am
Braised Steak & Onions:Preheat oven to 180 c
Ingredients:
500 ~ 1kg Steak. . 2 sliced onions. . Good splash of worcestishiresauce. . 2 tsp beef stock powder. . water to cover. .
Method:
Cut meat into bite size pieces. . slice onions and put on top of meat. . Cover with water and add worcestishire sauce. .
Sprinkle over a couple of tsp's of beef stock powder. . a little salt and pepper and bake on low temp for 2 ~ 2. 5 hours till tender. .
Topside steak is better but rump will do at a pinch...

bananabear, Aug 17, 4:37am
its $8. 99 a kg at mad butcher cheaper than mince

winnie231, Aug 17, 4:42am
I stand corrected ... there's some recipes for you.
Perhaps I should have said "I don't find it so good in casseroles" ... I prefer chuck or shin for casseroles but they were $13. 99/kg at the shop today when I looked! ! !
Looks like a trip to the madbutcher is on the list this week. Thanks for sharing!

lythande1, Aug 17, 4:43am
Tough? ! !
Tough is gravy beef, chuck steak, shin bone.

nala2, Aug 17, 4:45am
Really do have to wonder about rump prices. Last week New World in the Wairarapa had rump steak for $6. 99 kg, one day only.

danchop, Aug 17, 4:45am
go to quality butchers for the crappier meats cause the rich dont buy it, its usually cheaper. .
mad butcher and supermarkets cater for the poorer folk and know they buy those things like brisket, shin, neck chops etc

fisher, Aug 17, 4:50am
Winnie... You are correct... the more "course" meats are best used in a casserole when slow oven cooking... For ME, I think a casserole in the oven is far better, tastier than something similar in a crock pot. . Maybe it's the different heat styles. . oven heat versus heat and steam in a crock pot but I enjoy the traditional way in an oven casserole. .
at 8. 99 a kg... I would be using it for everything... :}steak burgers. . casseroles. . curries. . etc. .

fisher, Aug 17, 4:52am
danchop... what a load of codswallop:}crappier meats == mince. .
Bet the mad butcher and supermarkets would like to know:}

bananabear, Aug 17, 4:52am
hmm ok I always thought it all came from cows so would be the same do they feed the cows better grass? ive always brought from the supermarkets and mad and export butchers guess I am poor

winnie231, Aug 17, 4:57am
Fisher - I'm totally with you there on the oven casserole v slow cooker thing! I don't know what it is either ... some things I really like doing in the slow cooker but a 'proper' casserole can't be beat.

At $8. 99/kg I'll be stocking up on rump this week though ... I'll slice, bag & freeze in meal size portions for later use.

danchop, Aug 17, 5:02am
well our local butcher sells neck chops $4. 99kg, blade steak $5. 99kg, brisket $6. 50 and thats thier normal price, he services a well off area in auckland and thats what he tells me, also his rump steak wont casserole when frying it like your mad butcher crap

bananabear, Aug 17, 5:05am
lol "your mad butcher crap" i didnt come here for and argument about who can afford rich peoples meat just wanna know how to cook the stuff

cookessentials, Aug 17, 5:11am
Even the "crap" meat can be tender and tasty... it's all in the cooking. I use chuck steak or gravy beef and with it cooked long and slow, it is melt in the mouth

winnie231, Aug 17, 5:12am
bananabear - this is a website I use sometimes to get inspiration ... I just selected rump in the search facility & this is the results ...

http://www.recipes.co.nz/search? keywords=beef&cuts=Rump&
amp;ct=Cooking%20Style&section=00000000-0000-0000-0000-0
00000000000&content=

fisher, Aug 17, 5:12am
lol... I'll be stepping into a mad butcher for the first time in 4 years on Friday. . 10 kilo in two pack portions, wrapped, packed while I wait and ready to freeze when i get home... we just dont get that pricing up here...

bananabear, Aug 17, 5:13am
thanks EVERYONE will def be buying some to freeze :)

danchop, Aug 17, 5:52am
ok sorry, but most of the specialed beef is from aussie so maybe a kangaroo/rump casserole

beaker59, Aug 17, 6:13am
Specialed Rump in our supermarket at least is usually too fresh in my opinion and this gives the stewing effect when frying. When they run a special I buy whole rump preferably and leave it in the fridge for a week or two before cutting it up. I do this with Cut steaks too just leave them in the packets and store in fridge for a week before using.

Rump steak is a very versatile steak and can be used for any purpose from frying to casserole and makes great mince.

Try this, soak the steaks in lemon juice for half an hour before drying and frying.

beaker59, Aug 17, 6:30am
x1
Just remembered when Rump is on special I buy some ox kidney as well and cut it all up for steak and Kidney pie then freeze in meal sized packs. Had the last pack of the last batch for dinner last night yummy it was too :)

juliewn, Aug 17, 11:53am
Our favourite way to use rump steak. . it can be used for a family meal, or a special dinner party - it's tender and tasty, easy to prepare in advance, cover with plastic wrap and chill. . pop in the oven when you're ready. . and forget it till you're ready to serve. .

Use one large piece of rump steak. .
Remove any fat from the edges and cut the steak into pieces about the size of the palm of your hand - about 4 pieces. .
Dip each into flour, then lightly beaten egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
Place in a single layer in a greased shallow baking dish.
Cut an onion into thick rings, separate the rings and spread over the steak.
Pour over the contents of a tin of tomato puree (not tomato sauce or paste).
Place a thick slice of mild or tasty cheese on the top of the tomato puree, so it's also on top of each piece of steak.

All this can be done in advance, and kept covered with plastic wrap in the fridge.

When needed, remove the plastic wrap and place in the oven at 180°C and bake for 50-60 minutes.

These taste great with it. .
Place some whole scrubbed potatoes on the oven rack also, and bake for the same amount of time.

Make a salad, or prepare some green veges to lightly steam or boil in a little water - beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. .

To serve: lift the pieces of steak out onto plates and add a little of the sauce.
Add a baked potato or two and some veges or have salad on the table.
The meat will be tender and the top golden and chewy/crunchy. .

Enjoy. .

juliewn, Aug 17, 11:59am
Re meat prices - I've noticed that the meats that are usually more expensive are often the ones marked down now - maybe because people are buying less of them with the recession? ? . . it's worth checking out the meat sections where these meats are sold for bargains. .

I bought two packs of 4 good sized pieces of sirloin tonight - one marked down to just on $12, the other just under $13 - usually $18. 12 and $19. 60 - good value to add to the freezer. .