What else can you do with Rump Steak

Page 2 / 2
kuaka, Aug 17, 12:08pm
Countdown have got rump steak on special this week at $10. 99, gravy beef or chuck steak same price, eye fillet steak on special at $35. 99 and lamb leg steaks on special at $21. 99 kg. I'll be stocking up on rump and freezing it.

pamellie, Aug 18, 2:42am
Beef Noodles

Beef
200g rump steak
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp vegetable oil

To prepare beef put meat in a bowl add soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and garlic.
Massage for 1 minute and then leave to marinate for 30 mins.
Heat oil in wok and fry meat.
Transfer to bowl.

Vegetables
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 sliced onions
Enough sliced veges to suit eg carrots, broccoli, mushrooms etc
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ cup water
¼ tsp salt

Heat oil in wok and add onions. Stir fry over medium heat until transparent.
Add other veges, stir fry 2 mins, sprinkle with soy sauce and salt. Add water; fry until liquid has dried up. Add to bowl with meat.

Noodles
1 tbsp vege oil
2 pkts of udon or hokkien noodles
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper

Heat oil in wok and add noodles, stir to coat with oil.
Add sugar soy, salt and pepper, then meat and veges. Stir to mix thoroughly.

dbab, Aug 18, 3:08am
I use rump steak for beef stroganoff

tehenga288, Aug 18, 3:55am
Yes fisher I'm with - you Rump in the crockpot just doesn't seem to work as well as in the oven.
As for so called 'crappier' meats some of these are the most tender & tasty with long slow cooking hence the reason they have become more and more expensive. Have you seen the price of neck chops lately ? they are dearer than rump or mince & I won't mention the cost of lamb shanks lol

motorbo, Aug 18, 4:02am
i love rump steak, great for kebabs and for steak with onions and gravey! perfect for stirfrys, and beef salads e. g. thai beef salad, and great just as a meal of steak as its so tasty, dont cook too long though as the girls above said it will go tough on you in a slow cooker etc.

kuaka, Aug 18, 9:05am
yes, it toughens in a slow cooker/crockpot, but casseroled in the oven in an ordinary casserole dish, it is fine.

fisher, Aug 18, 9:08am
Have used lamb neck chops in crock pot and lamb shanks roasted for years and years and slowly watched them increase in price relative to popularity. . ox tails were another cheap as chips meat and now chicken necks are doing the same... been 2. 59 a kilo for ages (I boil them up for stock and then the dogs get a treat) went to 2. 89, 3. 29 and now 3. 50 a kilo. . Great tasty food and has been first choice for me, smiling away as folks passed them by. . now the secrets out. . oh well . . lol :}

kay141, Aug 18, 9:31am
Weren't you complaining the other day about the price of meat in the supermarkets and saying how you swapped the price labels? Now you are praising your local butcher.

winnie15, Sep 23, 4:06am
Ooo i like the sound of this!

cookessentials, Sep 23, 4:08am
????

rainrain1, Sep 23, 4:27am
Ditto!

buzzy110, Sep 23, 5:21am
Exactly. It is perfect for stroganoff.

beaker59, Sep 23, 5:24am
No such thing as crappy meat, some meats are better for some dishes than others though, theres a good dish for every cut.

guest, Jan 20, 4:09pm
Just double check each meat as you buy it but the general rule of thumb is the more it costs the tenderer it is. And the parallel rule of thumb is the tenderer it is the quicker you cook it.

so, the cheaper the bit youy have the longer you cook it and it comes out tender (casseroles etc)
the dearer the bit you have the quicker you cook it so it doesnt turn tough and dry out.
BUT butcher to butcher will vary prices depending on the age of the meat so cheap and dear doesnt necessarily mean tough/tender so google each peice you buy. but tough slow cook, tender fast cook:)