Rump Steak what can I make with them

amanda_simonp, Mar 27, 8:00am
we have many of these in our freezer for some reason my hubbie wins them regularly.Neither of us are fans of Rump steak on its own as they are always tough as old boots. but any ideas please what I could do with it please.many thanks

frosty429, Mar 27, 8:10am
i think it must depend on how old the beast is when killed because my rump steak is just delish by its self, but you can make cassaroles ect

downadogg, Mar 27, 8:23am
Casseroles are great with rump, cook them long and slow. Or slice thinly and make my stroganoff, (so not kosher) fry with onion add good slosh of soy and wine, season, cook for an houror until tender, reduce so liquid is minimal, add 2yoghurt sized pots sour cream stir ,thenjust before serving, squeeze lemon juice into it. Serve with couscous, noodles, rice and a salad or veges. nomnom

deus701, Mar 27, 8:27am
make curries or stews.

wat games does ur hubbie plays btw?

fifie, Mar 27, 9:15am
As others have said casseroles, slow cooker dishes, sliced thinly cooked in stirfrys, if you have a cast iron pan nice and hot fry it, or make steak parcels take piecesof steak about size of your hand sit on tin foil in a oven proof dish, spread your favourite chutney on it, then slice a onion,mushrooms, tomatoe, pile someon each steak, S/Pepper grated cheese, or a slug of garlic or worcester sauce over the top. Fold edges of foil over to enclose parcel put in a 180c oven bake about 40-50 mins carefully unwrap its hot, pull foil away from top pop back in oven to brown top dosent take long serve with mashed spuds and veg and a drizzle of gravy over top of your parcel.

juliewn, Mar 28, 10:02am
This is truly delicious and looks fantastic too...one of our favourite meals.. It can also be prepared earlier in the day, or even the night before, covered with plastic wrap and kept in your fridge... then popped into your preheated oven an hour before you want to serve your dinner.

Use one large piece of rump steak.. - or double the steak and other ingredients below, if more is needed - cover any left overs and place in your fridge - it reheats beautifully the next night - so gives you a night off cooking :-)

Remove any fat from the edges and cut the steak into pieces about the size of the palm of your hand - about 4 pieces..
Dip each into flour, then lightly beaten egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
Place in a single layer in a greased shallow baking dish.
Cut an onion into thick rings, separate the rings and spread over the steak.
Pour over the contents of a tin of tomato puree (not tomato sauce or paste).
Place a thick slice of mild or tasty cheese on the top of the tomato puree, so it's also on top of each piece of steak.

All this can be done in advance, and kept covered with plastic wrap in the fridge.

When needed, preheat oven to 180°C. Remove the plastic wrap and place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes.

Place some whole scrubbed potatoes on the oven rack also, and bake for the same amount of time.

Make a salad, or prepare some green veges to lightly steam or boil in a little water - beans, cauliflower, broccoli, etc..

To serve: lift the pieces of steak out onto plates and add a little of the sauce.
Add a baked potato or two and some veges or have salad on the table.
The meat will be tender and the top golden and chewy/crunchy..

kinna54, Mar 28, 10:21am
I use thinly sliced rump in all sorts of things from stir fry's to beef stroganoff.
Also on its own if in doubt with tenderness; marinade it with a kiwifruit marinade.
Also good for kebabs with a good marinade.
As with any good steak it's tenderness also lies in the cooking and resting.
Love it braised , and as in the above recipe, *sounds yummy juliewn, I am going to give that one a go*

kob, Mar 28, 6:14pm
hi amanda if your finding your rump tough, slice some unpeeled kiwifruit and place inbetween steak cuts to look like a sandwichcan go as high as you need cover with gladwrap and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours before cooking, place kiwifruit side down( you dont cook the fruit but it does discolour the steak)and you will find your rump can be cut with a fork its as tender as scotch fillet

bonnie66, Mar 29, 10:39am
Slow Cook cubes with onions and a can of tomatoes plus oregano serve with pasta.

wheelz, Mar 29, 9:30pm
I cook the steak just med rare and slice thinly for Thai salads.

crails, Apr 13, 8:47am
I made Juliewn's recipe tonight it meant down a treat with my lot.My children who will not eat steak scoffed it down, I just told them it was thick schnitzel...