Rump steak

muttly, Oct 18, 3:41am
I dont like steak much but have lots at moment I want a tastie way to cook rump steak

mrgts4, Oct 18, 4:19am
If its a nice piece, season with salt and pepper and cook on the grill part of BBQ until med/rare, makecreamy mushroom sauce or cook a portbello mushroom for each steak on bbq while steak is cooking. Rest steak for a couple of minutes befor serving. Even better if you have scotch fillet or sirloin.

margyr, Oct 18, 4:54am
stir fry, in a stew or casserole is also nice, kebabs, mince it and make yummy rissoles.

twindizzy, Oct 18, 4:56am
Slow cooked beef strogg

mallee, Oct 18, 5:09am
It's seems a pity to me to stew/casserole rump steak. In my experiece rump gets tougher the longer you simmer it. Unlike blade etc. A stir fry would be lovely. Kakads as margyr suggests.

muttly, Oct 18, 7:07am
thanks for your help will try these

sanders4, Oct 18, 7:10am
Rump makes a good roast, cook under hood on bbq is great.

newtec1, Oct 19, 8:46am
The only way to cook good rump is on a very hot almost smokinghotplate, cook each side for 4 mins each only turning once ,you should have both sides well done but inside still slightly rare with the juices still running out,the longer you leave it the tougher it will be ,that's just my opinion of course it works for me

beaker59, Oct 20, 3:24am
I've always found Rump to be an excellent casserole meat, granted its milder than some of the others like chuck or shin etc but still very good and nice texture. Seems to be the best steak for steak and kidney stew in particular.

Rump though is an excellent frying steak probably one of the best if properly aged which supermarkets don't do. If the Rump is whole leave it exposed to the air in your fridge for a week before slicing if cut you can still do that but keep an eye on it. Take it out of any plastic bags and store on a rack or plate always.

cutex01, Oct 20, 8:44am
This sounds nuts, but my Nana used to roast big thick rump steaks many years ago.

I LOVE roasted rump steak.Good seasoning, bit of olive oil, chuck into oven along with potatoes and roast veg you've already started cooking.Cook for 20 mins or so, no turning, just let it cook in the juices.It goes really nice and tender.

Honestly, it's the best thing ever.

nik12, Jun 13, 1:06pm
My favourite is plain and on the bbq.. but another recipe I love is Grandma's baked steak.
Rub both sides of the steak with a mixture of equal mustard powder and sugar.
Lay as flat as possible in a casserole dish (I do it in my slow cooker now), sprinkle with a T or so of flour, and a sliced onion.
Mix 1T of worchester sauce, tomato sauce and vinegar together (I usually at least double that mix) and dribble over the top. Cover and cook.
In the oven about 180 for an hour, in the slow cooker - depends what time your organised :-) all day on low, or half the day on high.
Do the same thing with tougher cuts, drop the temp and up the hours.

Will be trying it baked like above next time though, you make that sounds so good cutex!Will it work if it's sliced already, or did she do it with a big one?