Raro Orange Juice in a can in the 70's

Page 1 / 2
korbo, Aug 16, 9:22am
x1
who remembers the raro orange juice in a can in the 70's and today... what would be the same.

just found an old recipe that i remember my mum used to make up for my old uncle, and it had 1 can of raro orange juic, water, sugar and lemon juice. was really yumy

bluecalico, Aug 16, 9:28am
Yes I remember that... . and also Jungle Juice, and Lei, think that is way spelt which was a lemon drink in a can you mixed with water... ...

noonesgirl, Aug 16, 9:35am
Used to drink Raro & Bourbon. You probably need to buy maybe McCoys or similar to get the 'Raro' texture/taste. Remember J. J but not Lei.

cookessentials, Aug 16, 9:38am
Yep, Raro from Rarotonga and it was delicious. You could try a Golden Circle one in a can - I think that would be the nearest.

noonesgirl, Aug 16, 8:02pm
ce, do you remember the delicious fruit salad Raro put out? Think we had it as a treat at Christmas because of the cost.

cookessentials, Aug 16, 10:44pm
Yes, I do. My Dad used to go up to the Islands frequently ( he was a ships captain)we used to get raro and the fruit salad as well as huge watermelons, boxes of oranges and HUGE bunches of bananas that Dad would hang on a hook from the garage roof! we also used toget coconuts, sugar cane, pineapples etc

seniorbones, Aug 17, 4:52am
Gosh, would you be allowed to bring all that in these days? customs are pretty tough now! if you watch the border control programme its amazing how much drug making ingrediants is sent over, I hope the recipiants are being prosecuted!

cookessentials, Aug 17, 5:12am
All went through customs, even way back then.

noonesgirl, Aug 17, 7:11am
CE doesn't seem they were so strict back then. I thought the same when I read your thread.

harrislucinda, Jan 1, 1:47am
yesirememberthatandhavetherecipewhatcanyoubuytoreplace

raewyn64, Jan 1, 2:43am
were your oranges already peeled to the very thick pith layer? My dad did some work in Rarotonga and he bought back a box of oranges and because the skin was green when they were ripe they would peel them. I remember dad commenting how crazy it was that Rarotonga oranges would be shipped to NZ to be made into raro juice and then exported back to Rarotonga for them to buy!

4mywants, Jan 1, 2:57am
do you mean KOOL AID? it was sweet navel orange flavour...we grew up on that stuff.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 3:42am
No, they used to come in boxes and each individual orange was wrapped in tissue paper.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 3:46am
"Quench" was the awful stuff I remember from my childhood in the 60's ( bearing in mind that was just about all that was available) I remember Mum putting a mountain of sugar in a jug, then this bright coloured liquid,then addinng water. The one I used to like was "Tang" which came in a sachet....wouldnt touch the stuff now, but way back then, it was all pretty basic stuff and quite revolting when you think about it now.

ibcreative, Jan 1, 3:48am
Quench is what we had in our house because it was more economical. Blurk.

I liked visiting my grandparents because they had Tang which was so much nicer!

jerrytravis, Jan 1, 7:14am
we had Happy Aide in our household, as well as Tang. i didnt seem to mind the stuff, mind you i didnt know any better.. wouldnt go there nowdays..

evorotorua, Jan 1, 7:54am
Funny Cookessentials, I lived in Western Samoa in the 70s and a friend was on the Union Steamship that would come in from NZ. He would bring us Granny Smith apples!!

sultana0, Jan 1, 7:55am
Yum (drip drip slup) that was the best, pineapple hhhhmmmmmm (memories)

cookessentials, Jan 1, 8:00am
Dad was with the Union Steamship Co back then

cgvl, Jan 1, 9:10am
yes remember the tins of raro too. I also think golden circle would be the closest.
Also remeber the fruit salad, it was yum and a special treat

hilt_dwane, Jan 1, 11:55am
Yes I remember it too... had a recipe that used it. When it was no longer available, I tried all sorts so I could continue making the recipe. I finally ended up with the exact taste by juicing whole oranges (skin and all but minus pips). The addition of the skin gives that hint of bitterness.
I first tasted this at my ex MIL's place - she was a darned good cook but wouldn't dare let her hubby know what she put in her cooking else he would turn his nose up at it. I believe this may have come from an old NZWW mag. Don't know what it was called but I named it Mangakino Chicken.
1 cup wheatgerm
1tsp mixed herbs
good shake of pepper
salt
coat chicken pieces with the above, brown in frypan in a little oil. When browned, add 350ml orange juice, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic sliced, I added the remainder of the wheatgerm coating mix, a bit of water so it wasn't too dry. Cover pan and cook gently approx 40min.
When I have access to a bulk of oranges, I juice them all and freeze in recipe size quantities.

talent.scout, Jan 1, 12:29pm
The skin stays green in the islands, and tropics, as it needs the cooler weather for the skin to turn orange.... true.lol.

jbsouthland, Jan 1, 4:46pm
My Dad worked in a Fruit Martback in the 60s early 70s...We got crates of Oranges individually wrapped and we would reuse the tissue paper Threaded on to thick cotton with large needle as Toilet paper....we still had outside Dunny when our house was first built.....Mum was a recycler way before "Adam was a Cowboy"

evorotorua, Jan 1, 6:14pm
Oh Cooks, small world??? This man had a very unusual first name.The ships could be a bit erratic then and there was a time we didn't have a ship for weeks and weeks. We had no flour, rice, sugar, toilet paper and a couple of other items for about six weeks. Of course this made it difficult to make bread and staples. Then the first ship that came in was carrying two things.....tinned herring in tomato sauce and car antifreeze!!! Just what you need in the tropics! We used the apple wrapping tissue in the bathroom too. Life went on we ate locally anyway so it was fine for us. A bit trickier for those expats who came expecting to live like they always had.

cookessentials, Jan 1, 7:44pm
It sure is, Dad was with them when he and Mum came out from the UK in 1959 and was with them I think until some time in the 70's when the NZ Shipping Corporation was set up and he was with them untilthe early 80's.
He would go to Tonga, Samoa,Fiji, Raro and others. He had a good friend from back then who owned a resort in Savaii.