Where can I buy fresh turmeric root?

magmcm, Aug 16, 9:15am
I have been watching Rick Stein, and he has used turmeric root, I love turmeric and the fresh stuff looks so nice I WANT SOME, I live in Auckland so if any one knows where I can get some it would be much appreciated, also I strongly recommend the far eastern cookbook of Rick Stein's It has all the things in the program and more, so yummy.

nanasee1, Aug 16, 9:18am
Usually available in the Asian grocery stores, have bought it at my local Pak'n'Savein the vegetable section. Certainly fresh is superior to the dried

uli, Aug 16, 9:20am
x1
Avondale markets on a Sunday morning.

magmcm, Aug 16, 9:25am
great I will have a look in the Asian grocer, do you think it would be easy to grow? I should be in the gardening section now lol

uli, Aug 16, 9:33am
No it is not easy - cause it is too cold in NZ - even in Northland it needs to be in a glasshouse and more often than not you get a smaller root out than what you have planted. Same as for ginger really.

So in saying that - yes it is easy "to grow" if indoors, but you get mainly nice green foliage and not enough root growth. That might make it clearer.

cookessentials, Aug 16, 9:41am
You could ask this seller if they still have some

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conserva
tory/Plants-pots/Perennials/auction-265493242.htm

davidt4, Aug 16, 10:08am
x1
There is a small vege shop in Sandringham Rd, in the main Sandringham shopping strip, which sells Fijian veges and they almost always have fresh tumeric. They are directly across the road from Voila in an ex-dairy. The tumeric is usually in a carton on the floor on the left as you walk in. It is quite cheap, about $6 per kg.

It is red tumeric that you want, not white.

sg, Jun 11, 12:18am
Is there any hope of me getting some here in Dunedin :(