The price of meat

Page 3 / 4
toadfish, Aug 14, 8:08am
YupI hear you re males... luckily my hubby is a sausage fiend... so if we want something lighter... I just pop 2-3 sausages on the side and he is a happy man. What about bacon, egg made into an omellette or left over "whatever" fried rice with sausages or a pork sholder chop on the side for him. I wouldn't cook 2 dinners. . but maybe a combo is a good idea. Too be honest... I have of late. . just put up with the grumbles... I have started back at work full time and hubby hates crockpot... toooooo bad... . It makes life a little easier for me.

kuaka, Aug 14, 8:32am
My other half will eat sausages - well he'll have half a sausage (I tell him it's hardly worth bothering with but there you are) he isn't keen on pork unless it's wild or pickled. I haven't seen pickled pork in my local supermarket ever, and I can't remember the last time I had wild pork. He's very fussy about fat, so everything has to be lean, or if I casserole meat that's a bit fatty (even after cutting off all visible fat) or if I cook mince, then I have to cool it, refrigerate it, then remove the fat and reheat it. He will probably outlive me and then it will be his problem. Oh yes, I had a crockpot but it died a couple of months ago. Going to get myself another one. Even the corned beef was a bit on the tough side tonight - I did it slowly in an oven bag, it was lovely and moist but not tender. Maybe I've won lotto tonight and can afford to hire a cook from tomorrow onwards - that's what you call wishful thinking. Oh that's right. I didn't have a ticket 'cos I can't afford to waste money on lotto.

melinda1, Aug 14, 9:31am
A thought- is there a pig hunting club up your way? My son is mad on it but is down Taupo way! Anyway some of those guys have excess meat as they hunt for the "sport" and are happy to share- culd be worth asking about or a notice on board at supermarket?

fifie, Aug 14, 9:39am
Kuaka food has got so expensive here nowadays, its sad as familys and retired folk are the ones feeling it. I feel for you, trouble is with one supermarket they have got you re prices, with no butcher they are probably paying high freight charges to therefore pushing your prices way up. Watch for markdowns in the mornings every areas usually has different days, you'll soon work out which ones. I don't normally buy meat, fish, vegs or fruit at the supermarket but have learnt about this in our area and its good for cheaper buys for the freezer. Then get on here and you will find heaps of good recipes, to work round the meat you have, get the crockpot going ideal for the cheaper roasts, still get your chooks just do the alison holst paprika recipe or similar
in C/pot sitting it on a saucer, that keeps it out of the fat, it will be nice and moist. Like you am retired and it is hard making ends meet these days, my other half likes his meat and spuds daily, a hard habit to change, i plan ahead and have slowly got him into some meat free days now hes not working, we buy mostly specials and with whats in the freezer along with fresh fish and poultry, markets for veg and fruit and we do pretty well. We have a great fish mart here i know that couriers all around the country, one thing i get is kg bags of smaller orange roughy pieces $17. 95, which sells normally around $32. 95 kg, plenty for a couple of feeds for 2 with a nice salsa, salad etc, could be worth contacting them and asking what they have and their charges. Here is a link to their website if your interested.
http://www.kingsfish.co.nz/index. php? pageLoad=1

momma1, Aug 14, 10:39pm
I was shocked when I did the shopping at PnS Tauranga and their chicken breasts were $22 a kg. Its shocking

cookessentials, Aug 14, 10:46pm
Last time I bought chicken breasts they were $8. 99 a kilo! I stopped buying them some time ago as they are often dry. I prefer the skinless, boneless thighs as they are far more tender and moist, however, I notice that the supermarkets have picked up on it and even the priice of those have sky rocketed over the last year or two.

We prefer now to buy our meat from the butcher and we always have the best we can afford ( there are only two of us to worry about though) we dont eat alot of red meat, however, when we do have it , I like to buy a good cut and really enjoy it. We eat a mixture of a little red meat, somme chicken, fish ( mainly salmon) and some vegetarian thrown in as well. When I buy steak, for innstance, I usually buy eye fillet and the pieces would fit into ones palm. I find one of those more than enough to eat and always enjoy it.
I do use cheaper cuts for casseroles or my beef bourguignon and the long, slow cooking makes them quite delicious.

kuaka, Aug 14, 10:59pm
cookessentials - the last time they had boneless thighs on special at my supermarket they were $19. 99kg. I mean, that's like eating money.

cookessentials, Aug 14, 11:05pm
that's shocking! I buy them on special- often in a large tray and then split them up and freeze.

danchop, Aug 14, 11:32pm
i wanted to do a shit meat boil up but brisket is a rip off, i like taking advantage of the "reduced stickers" which can easily be transferred to any other nice meat you might want

motorbo, Aug 15, 12:04am
i dont wanna be rude here, but maybe its time to get your husband to see the cost of his fussiness, we all no matter our age have to start eating differently becuase of the cost, and it hits us all not just families or retired folks, hell the cost of power and food is over the top these days.

kuaka, Aug 15, 12:22am
motorbo - you have a good point there, and he always eats whatever I put in front of him, and he doesn't really complain, but he does make it known that he really would like potatoes with the occasional pasta dish, etc and the other problem he has is that a lot of foods give him indigestion. I guess his digestive system isn't as efficient as it used to be, as I'm finding I have the same problem although to a lesser degree.

kay141, Aug 15, 12:31am
That's called theft.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 15, 12:36am
I agree with you Kay141 - that's appalling danchop!

danchop, Aug 15, 12:50am
why? i still pay them for it, if you get double charged from supermarkets like i do quite often at the checkout they dont get charged for theft

kuaka, Aug 15, 1:42am
no danchop but they do refund if you go back with your docket and complain - which I do frequently - well I should say whenever I discover that I have been overcharged which seems to happen quite frequently.

motorbo, Aug 15, 1:56am
hi Kuaka

im no expert but digestion problems often go away when you cut down on or cut out wheat, look at your diet for clues to digestion problems, or when you get it - e. g. is it after you eat certian products, and i agree you shouldnt have to make him change what he likes to eat but its the world we live in thats unfair huh

julie28, Aug 15, 5:12am
Try your local butcher I got lamb loin chops for $17 a kilo, snitzel $9. 99, scotch steak $22 a kilo

motorbo, Aug 15, 5:19am
have just moved recently havent tried the local butcher yet but will do next week

kay141, Aug 15, 5:40am
Keep an eye on the till and check your docket before you leave the shop if you think you are being overcharged. What you are doing is shoplifting and that is one of the reasons why prices are so high. The shops cover theft by both customers and staff in their markups. I have only been overcharged once and it was corrected quickly. Last Monday the supermarket hadn't taken down the special sign from the week before. I got it for that price by saying at the checkout "The big sign said ****". they checked, no arguments. I wished I had picked up more.

kuaka, Aug 15, 7:54am
julie28 - that's half the problem - we don't have a local butcher. Nearest butcher is 25km away, and Kerikeri being quite an "affluent" township, the butcher is even more expensive than the supermarket.

dinky17, Aug 15, 9:15am
been reading all those sad stories... and you are so right, but dont you think we should have a strike/revolution/protest/what-
ever you call it, , , and get the pm to be nice to his people and not be nice to the chinese or americans or whoever, we are relying on him tolook after this population, that is why we voted him in, but he dont care at all about our existence, not one iota! ! soooo much land around and not one sheep on it... to feed the population... absolutely disgraceful! !

nfh1, Aug 15, 9:25am
You are not paying for all of the product though - paying for part of it and stealing the rest.

danchop, Aug 15, 9:48am
i know but its pay back for getting ripped by them, i brought some potatoes in a closed bag so you cant see the potatoes, now potatoes are done on wieght and at least 500grams was big chunks of dirt

nfh1, Aug 15, 10:07am
LOL - good wind up!

kuaka, Aug 15, 10:30am
and something I discovered the other day when I checked my docket as I sat in the car just before I drove home. I had two "buy one get one free" vouchers for cat food. Now seeing as I have a fussy cat (yes, I know as well as a fussy husband - must have mug tattooed on my forehead! ) I thought I may as well try this brand of cat food which I don't normally buy, and if she doesn't lie it, I will have found that out for half price. So I got four cans of the cat food, presented my two vouchers, and they were scanned, and when I checked the docket, I'd been charged full price on four cans of cat food. I went back in and queried it and the operator said "I scanned them", called the supervisor over and the supervisor said "if you scan them it doesn't come off the total, you have to physically punch the barcode in", so after a lot of faffing around they refunded me for two cans. So next time you have a voucher for $1 off coffee, or whatever, make sure they punch the code in, not just scan it.