The price of meat

Page 2 / 4
kuaka, Aug 14, 1:57am
good idea greerg - my nearest mad butcher is 75km away, so take into account the cost of diesel and road user charges, and the time, and obviously that isn't an option. I certainly won't pay $13. 99 for neck chops. A while back the supermarket here used to have 'lamb scraps' for $2. 99 kg, and okay, it was fiddly and it took some time, but it was possible to get several meals out of a $6 bag, by trimming off the fat, and ending up with a decent amount of meat. They seem to have disappeared. Even sausages are $10. 99kg. On another thread it was suggested I buy sausage meat and make my own sausage shapes, cover in bread crumbs, but the stuff they sell here is $4 for 450gm and is 19. 5% fat. Not for me. I like my heart too much for that much fat.

lythande1, Aug 14, 2:02am
I was living in a piddly town miles from anything. I rang the Aussie Butcher up here and got him to courier me down a pack. Very cheap courier charge too considering the distance which was one end to the other. Buy in bulk from these type of butchers, stick to cheaper cuts, make things that don't contain loads of meat (we average 50grams per person per meal) and it's a LOT cheaper - even if you have to get it couriered.

kuaka, Aug 14, 2:28am
thanks for that lythande - I'll look into it.

beaker59, Aug 14, 3:14am
Kuaka on an unrelated side note was it you I suggested some long time back to try ox liver as Snapper bait if so what did you think we do quite well on it down here :)

Stormbaby I hear what you are saying and making the buget go the extra distance is what all people have to do EH! I doubt however it was as you say easier in Mum and Dads day as those were the people who we turned to for advice in the first palce so how did they have the answers if they hadn't had to do it themselves. Also how else would we have had those great heirloom recipes for things like shanks neckchops offal of all kinds etc. I would suggest it was tougher for them than even we experience and worse so for our grandparents and beyond.

motorbo, Aug 14, 3:18am
the prices are shocking, invest in a freezer and travel once a month or so further for bargins, start getting into vege recipes, red lentils stretch mince further so you can use less, its basically gotta be a new way of looking at what we eat as kiwis, we are so used to meat and 3 vege... . grow veges

kabbo, Aug 14, 3:37am
i try to only buy meat that is on special. sometimes we shop at countdown, and when i look at the meat and the price of it ie 2 x scotch fillet steak (sorry but I like that one) at $15 for 2 bits i think - nah... . f**k that... . rip off.

last week we decided to go the mad butcher, bought some meat, then went to the supermarket to do the rest of the shop, and the supermarket meat was cheaper than the mad butcher - grrrrrr.

motorbo, Aug 14, 3:47am
i had to make alot of kebabs the other day so was after a good amount of rump steak, they only had marinated (eww) and it was so pricey, i turned around and a slab of scotch fillet was cheaper per kg than the nasty looking rump, i got a huge amount for 20 bucks, that feed 6 people

socram, Aug 14, 4:12am
I am staggered how expensive it is to eat out of Auckland. It also applies to cafe food. Auckland is so competitive. I feel very sorry for those living well away from the major centres.

We rarely pay more than about $10kg for meat nor $16 for fresh fish. Pork rump is one of my favourites as it is almost 100% lean meat and cheaper than the more fashionable 'cheap cut' of fatty belly pork. Stewing steak of one sort or another or mince are our regular favourites too and we are not on a tight budget, but we are getting ripped off by some of the major chains, so we try to use independent outfits.

Same applies to veg. We eat exceptionally well and as posted on here before, you have buy veges that are in season or on special. Pity that NZ carrots are so totally tasteless though...

kuaka, Aug 14, 4:15am
motorbo - where was that ? - it wouldn't have been at my local supermarket! We grow a few veg ourselves, we have very limited space here, the section is 800+ sqm but the house has a big footprint, lots of decking, and then the driveway, leaves us not a lot of section and what we have is mountain goat territory, the lawn is the size of a postage stamp (I actually clip it with hedge clippers rather than mow it) plus we get very little sun during winter which makes everything struggle. On the bright side, we have a fantastic sea view.

kuaka, Aug 14, 4:17am
beaker - no it wasn't me that suggested the ox liver as bait, although I have heard it works, I haven't tried it. We usually use pilchards and squid and that went up horrendously in price last summer. We would take $20 of bait with us when we go fishing, so always hope to catch something to bring home rather than just getting throwbacks.

kuaka, Aug 14, 4:19am
I only ever buy meat on special. This week corned beef was on special at the supermarket, vacuum packed so bought four lots as it keeps well and we eat it hot and then cold for lunchtime sandwiches. Also bought a small piece of pork as it was on special too and we had that last night, and it was tough as old boots. Hubby couldn't eat it (he's got no teeth - can't wear his dentures as he's got shingles! ), but even I struggled with it. Now what to do with left over tough cold pork?

motorbo, Aug 14, 4:20am
kuaka, find out what days your supermakert tends to price things down, i got this at woolworths in paraparaumu when i was there last week, but i also 2 weeks ago at countdown in tga got a roast sirlion! ! ! ! for 10 bucks, if i had cut this into steaks it would have made 5 decent ones, shope around, look where you migth not normally look in the met section, often these are priced down cos at full price no one wants them, you can grow in bags or pots - anywhere, silverbeet is great to grow, very easy and very good return for your investment

kuaka, Aug 14, 4:33am
motorbo, yes, we have silverbeet growing, and in the summer we have runner beans for Africa and tomatoes likewise, but not a lot else. I forgot to mention my hubby is a definite meat and 3 veg man, always spuds. Occasionally I do a pasta meal and he always asks where the potatoes are! ! ! Not kidding. These are some of the prices I wrote down recently. Premium mince $15. 99kg, prime mince $12. 99kg on special. Beef snitzel $12. 99kg on special - usually $22. 99kg. Lamb leg steaks $25. 99kg (forget them), chicken drumsticks $10. 99kg. Lamb knuckles $17. 99kg. Oh yes, forgot to mention, he wouldn't eat things like lasagne, spag bol either, whereas I'd happily have them for a change, or a vege only meal occasionally. And seeing as he's close to 80 and has worked hard all his life, I think he should be able to have meals that he enjoys.

winnie231, Aug 14, 4:41am
kuaka - you could turn your tough pork into a casserole.
This recipe for 'Golden Sausages' would work well ... substituting your pork for the sausages - obviously :)

Golden Sausages:

*500gms sausages
* 1 onion chopped
* 1 carrot grated
* 2 tbsp flour
* 2 tbsp vinegar
* 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tbsp sugar
* Add 2 cups boiling water
* Salt and pepper

Method

Place sausages into a baking dish along with chopped onions and carrot.

Mix flour, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar to a smooth paste.

Then add 2 cups of boiling water along with salt and pepper.

Pour over sausages and vegetables and bake at 160C for 11/2 - 2hrs.

This is really delicious and great with mashed herbed potatoes.

kuaka, Aug 14, 4:45am
thanks winnie - I'll try that for tomorrow. I've got a piece of corned beef cooking for tonight. Forgot to say I do have a freezer, and whenever something in the meat-line is on special that I use, be it chicken, rump steak or whatever, I always buy enough for several meals and freeze it. As I say, I never buy meat at the "normal" (read "outrageous") price at the supermarket. It was a sad day when our butchers shop closed down.

trading_gibsons, Aug 14, 4:47am
It might be worth getting a car load & share petrol costs & set off once a month for a big shop up in a larger town.

motorbo, Aug 14, 4:48am
my dear i do feel for you with the prices, you are soright, your hubby is not going to change his ways at his age LOL and he does bloody deserve what he wants... . but heres an idea, if you are also retired then you would have the time maybe to cook two different meals, or do a spag bog one day and freeze portions for you, if one of you is eating less meat it will save a little bit

kabbo, Aug 14, 4:55am
yummy - that recipe for golden sausages sounds yum. i'm going to make that. thanks.

toadfish, Aug 14, 5:31am
Kuaka, Paihia has a reasonable size woolworths doesn't it? Thatmeans evey week they will have the nationwide meat specials, try going in the mornings and looking for markdowns... If not simply buy 7 of whats on special and just alternate... . this week might be chicken. . next lamb. That way once you build up a stock you won't be eating the same thing everyday. (The first week you will have to buy 7 on special and think of something for the other 6 - maybe you have something already on the freezer... but once the stock builds up you will have your own store of whats on special. . thats what I do.

lala2, Aug 14, 6:56am
Thought I would check out the price of the lamb neck chops in Foodtown, Manukau City and sure enough they were also $13. 99kg, I remember buying these $4. 99kg.

darlingmole, Aug 14, 7:36am
kuaka ~ now this is JUST an idea! ! ! but a very lovely poster by the name of fisher (expert at everything just about IMO and has divine recipes) is also I'd presume a keen fisherman/woman/person. Just putting this idea out to you to contact him via TM and see if you could do some bartering and get some fish or shellfish off him/her and swop for maybe housework etc? Like I said, just an idea.
I also feel for you. You sound a dedicated partner/wife and doing your level best for your man to keep him happy and fed in the manner which he likes. Good luck to you both. The posters on here are great people - Toadfish knows how to budget and shop wickedly! so take her advice re specials at woollys

darlingmole, Aug 14, 7:41am
And yes meat is unbelievabley expensive. We have to feed 9 of us. The mince at the local butcher was 16. 95/kg! ! (but high quality), at PaknSave near us is was $14-15/kg and crap! So we bought a $10 1kg middle of the road pack from Mad butcher. It's really hard because meat IS so expensive. Best advice since you're actually rural is to ask neighbours to buy you stuff when they're out of town, or go online and google towns near you their specials and ask for courier costs. Again, good luck kuaka

toadfish, Aug 14, 7:45am
I would imaging Foodtown manukau has the same prices as Woolworths Pahia... . I get email alerts every week as to what the specials are... Did a huge shop at pak n Save this morning and spent $320! but its been nearly a month since I last did a huge stock up and we were out of most things... plus 2 teenage girls... the "other products" sure do add up.

And thanks DM... yup I really do try to lead my champagne life on a beer budget! And more to the point... I just hate waste... of anything... especially money lol. If we as a family of 4 can have chicken tonight and it only cost us $4. 70 (reduced from $6. 70 and even that was cheap)... why would we pay more!

Macaroni cheese is a really good budget beater. 2 rashers of bacon... . pack of budget macaroni... cheese sauce. . Would give you a dinner and 1 for the freezer for under $5.

Toadies Famous Macaroni Cheese
Fry 1 onion and 2-4 rashers of chopped up bacon in  2 tbsp of butter. Add 2-3 tbsp of flour and cook for a minute and add milk to make sauce.
Add 1 tsp of wholegrain mustard and 1 ~ 2 cups of grated edam or colby cheese  Mix through 1 packet of cooked San Remo pasta elbows.
Put in a large oven proof dish and place finely sliced tomatoes on the top and sprinkle with a little grated cheese and a few breadcrumbs.

kuaka, Aug 14, 8:01am
thank you all for your helpful suggestions. toadfish, I would happily eat macaroni cheese for a main meal, with or without special little additives like tomatoes or bacon, but my other half would definitely feel deprived if I served that up as a main meal. (I wonder how he survived as a kid during "the depression"! )I do buy up in bulk of whatever meat is on special, if it's chicken I buy enough for quite a few meals and freeze what I can't use immediately. We have a lot of casseroles, I use mainly rump steak when that is on special, because it's usually cheaper on special than chuck or blade steak. I have noticed that since Woolworths here has changed to Countdown, we seem to get better specials - but here's the rub, the specials seem to be better on the more luxury items rather than the basics. The biscuits, cakes, chips etc that you like to have but can do without seem to be regularly on special, and the stuff you need, like meat, fruit, veg are not. I do buy veg but only what is in season - they had courgettes the other day at $11. 99kg - I begrudge buying them at even $2. 99 when they are in season, $11. 99 is daylight robbery. I've always considered myself to be a bit of a whiz at the household budget but it does seem to be getting more difficult. Yes, I think I will have to start looking at eating different meals - one for him and one for me. I'm quite happy with some rice and a small can of tuna with some greens. He would not be happy at all with that. Believe me I can make a chicken go a long way and I find they are usually quite good value. The last couple of "plain pack" ones I bought have been tasteless and stringy as though they were old, so will probably give them a miss in future. If anyone has any more ideas or suggestions, I'm still open to them.

kuaka, Aug 14, 8:04am
And just to add insult to injury, yesterday I went shopping and spent $165 and got a 4c voucher for fuel. Had I known I could have gone today, spent $35 more and got a 25c voucher for fuel. When it comes to fill the thirsty vehicle we have, half of the extra I spent on the groceries would have been saved on the fuel, but I still would have had the extra groceries. I've just signed up for the fuel alerts or whatever they call them.