The price of meat

Page 4 / 4
kuaka, Aug 15, 10:32am
oh yes, the main things that seem to give him indigestion are anything too fatty, so we try to avoid them, sausages, rissoles (he loves them, they don't like him) pastry in particular, and the main reason he doesn't like pasta dishes is he says it's too flipping hard to eat with no teeth, he says pasta and mushrooms are the worst, 'cos they just slip from side to side and you basically have to just swallow them, can't chew anything. I suspect that's what causes a lot of his indigestion, 'cos he can't chew and a lot of stuff goes down bigger than it should.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 9:49pm
Have you looked into some of the meat delivery companies? There are a number of them and they deliver chilled meat right to your door. They may work out cheaper?

suziedd, Aug 15, 10:03pm
I haven't read all posts and perhaps this has been suggested already:is it possible for you to go shares with say, 4 or five other families and buy a whole beast from a farmer? you would need to arrange slaughter and butchering. If you had the freezer space, it may be more economical for you. We have more people each year coming directly to us. We cannot sell meat, but a live beast is OK. Best wishes.

kuaka, Aug 15, 10:31pm
suziedd - I'll have to look into that, and you've just triggered a thought that I do know (not a close friend) a retired butcher who just might be able to help.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 10:57pm
Not sure if this is helpful to you kuaka?
http://www.drurymeats.co.nz/

kuaka, Aug 15, 11:21pm
thanks cookessentials - I just popped in to check for any more suggestions, but I'm a bit pushed for time right now, so I've "bookmarked" that and will check it later when I'm not so busy. It looks interesting, thanks.

superdave0_13, Aug 15, 11:30pm
If you are going down that road you could just buy a whole body of beef from the butcher ... It would be cheaper and less hassle than homekill. Not to mention safer.

kay141, Aug 15, 11:43pm
Why don't you complain to the supermarket instead of stealing. They would get them in the closed bag and have no idea of the contents. At least telling them would give them a chance to do something about it, instead you would rather be a thief.

lythande1, Aug 16, 3:39am
Watch that. I look at the supermarket and usually its a ripoff even if it says Special. Except perhaps PakNSave when they have the $5. 99Kg pork roasts. For instance I saw sausages, 2 packs of 6 sausies for $11. next to that "special" was a pack of 9 sausies for $6. 50. Hmm, work that out. And Mad Butcher - he had pork roasts for $44. something for 2. 5KG. Bloody hell, thats about $17 a kg! !

dinky17, Aug 16, 4:46am
beware of the mad butcher, they have frozen lambchops 20 bucks a bag, no weight on them! ! ! ! when you ask them to weigh them, they work out more expensive then the nice fresh lamb chops... just another con... is all! !

kay141, Aug 16, 5:16am
Why do people assume the retailer is trying to rip them off? If you don't like the price etc. don't buy it. Nobody is twisting your arm. We all have free will.

motorbo, Aug 16, 5:51am
i agree but its actually clever marketing and people need to know how to avoid it

dinky17, Aug 16, 7:07am
you are right Kay, I checked the weight, didnt like it and so didnt buy them... simple, just saying... . beware, because the next person might not realise that they are trying to pull the wool over you eyes!

danchop, Jan 30, 12:10pm
local butcher today
brisket $6. 50kg and pick your own pieces
rump steak $11. 99kg
beef roasts $11-99kg
pak n save
brisket $8. 99kg
rump same price but water filled and full of sinew crap
i only went into the butchers to get one piece of steak $3. 60 and look around, but i also got a free piece of dried beef and a cooked sausage to try