I want to give low carb a try...please help

Page 2 / 3
marielize1, Aug 14, 11:50pm
Did you go low-fat low-carb the previous time? My experience is different from Cookessentials. I like to explain why I don't do low fat in the following way.
Firstly remember fat is self-regulatory. You just try to sit down to half a cup of olive oil or a a slab of fat and you'll know what I mean! !

But draw yourself a pie chart, a circle. To do low carb you need to keep your kj from carbs to about 20%.

Shade 20% of your chart.

What is left will have to be filled with fat and protein. If you limit your fat too much, close to 80 % of your kj will come from protein.
So you eat a high protein diet. It is linked to a lot of potential problems.

If you get the KJ you need from healthy fats the size of your plate (circle) will shrink dramatically as fat is very high in kjs you only need a small portion to get a lot of energy.

We can talk a lot about healthy vs unhealthy fats, but that's another post!

So volume wise your plate will be 50-60% green veges30% protein 10% fat. But Kj wise the story will be different.

kirinesha, Aug 14, 11:50pm
Anyway, I'm not in the least bit interested in debating LC and who knows more than who and who does it this way as opposed to that way.

Do what works for you as an individual.

I'm just interested in good food.

cookessentials, Aug 14, 11:53pm
Quote buzzy110
"Others in here like to call us names because we eat full cream dairy, butter (not margarine), chicken and skin, meat with fat, oily fish, olive oil salad dressing, etc but that is not particularly high fat eating. It is just normal or moderate eating - the same foods that were eaten two generations ago without any noticeable ill effects on the population in general. " this is where people do get a little confused when it comes to following low carb for weight loss
You may not also be aware of the 5 hour "gap" between meals which is part of the Sureslim regime... it is all to do with glucose levels and fat burning, but cannot remember it in detail... however, it gives you maximum fat burning anyway.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 14, 11:55pm
Well Cooks - we must THANK you for the fantastic publicity you've just given our website!
You must surely know by now that the major advantage of low carb is how flexible it is to suit indivudal needs and tastes.

uli, Aug 15, 12:00am
Wow - cooks -this is like an outing isn't it?
So why don't you join the low carbers and give us all your lovely advice?
Seems like a big waste of huge knowledge - why would you NOT want to share it I wonder?

buzzy110, Aug 15, 12:01am
Therefore, I too would have to say that if you manage to consume more fat than is usually found naturally in the food you eat, then maybe your weight loss may slow. I'd like to reinforce that over eating is not the way to lose weight and just because you can eat as much fat and protein as you can get your hands on without gaining weight, it is my opinion, and even the opinion of medical commentators in the field, that gluttony is never the way to a happy, healthy life.

On a happier note, because you are eating moderate amounts of fat you will feel fuller faster and on a lot less food.

Yesterday I wrote that it has even shocked me how little I now eat. Once upon a time I used to cook 8 lamb shoulder chops for 2 - 2 on the plate and 2 for seconds and that was with lashings of potato and the fat skimmed off. Now I don't have the potato but I keep the fat and reduce all the stock to a jus and I just have 1 shoulder chop. DH has 2 ('cause he's a bloke) and I have absolutely no desire for seconds.

This means my fat intake is moderate and my portion control is exemplary. What I used to think of as normal portions is now, to me, gross over eating.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 12:05am
Glad that you THINK I did BJ... there are zillions of low carb threads, your is one of them. Yes, it is flexible... sadly there are those that think it is the ONLY way and there is only ONE way to follow low-carb. I much prefer the sureslim losers site personally, it is incredibly helpful, friendly and does not have members who "shove the info down ones throat" as well as thousands of great recipes. And just because I follow a reasonable low carb lifestyle ( apart from when I want something that is not considered low carb) I do not feel the need to preach about it ad-infinitum or belittle others who do not follow the same path. I stilll love potato, kumara, pasta and rice and the GREAT thing about Sureslim is, that it teaches you how to re-introduce these items back ito your diet in a healthy way and so thgat you can still maintain your weight, blood glucose levels etc.

bedazzledjewels, Aug 15, 12:09am
Jolly good Cooks.
I thought Sureslim was having problems in NZ? Is it on the comeback trail?

red38, Aug 15, 12:16am
I went low carb for 2 weeks - didnt stray at all - read the threads on here plus other websites - and didnt lose an ounce! Hugely disappointing as I still believe that low carbs is the way to go... ...

uli, Aug 15, 12:18am
WHICH very reason?

davidt4, Aug 15, 12:19am
That's very unusual, and must have been a big disappointment. Can you remember what you ate? Maybe someone can suggest some refinements which would help.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 12:20am
Remember that the bit after the quotation marks and beginning "this is where people get a little confused... " is not my quote it is cooks and should have begun with a new paragraph.

I understand that cooks learnt something in her Sure Slim regime about fat control and 5 hourly intervals. This system has obviously worked very well for her so I cannot denigrate it. I understand the human anatomy well enough now to know exactly what she has forgotten when they talk about 5 hourly intervals and glucose levels but I won't go into that.

For my part, the secret to a good diet is one that places few restrictions or controls on your diet or timing. A good diet should be one that makes you both happy, is easy to do, you'll want to stay on forever and which doesn't come with too many rules.

For my part, I have lost as much or as little weight as I want and never had a problem with timing. I am learning that I can eat 3 times a day, two times a day or not at all in a 24 hour period and still feel great. I stick to only two rules and they are not onerous

1. All carbs only must come from non-starch vegetables, cream, eggs, nuts, seeds (not grains or cereals) and fruit. This way I can eat a bucket load and still not exceed 30grams a day.

2. All food must come from primary produce (fresh vegetables, eggs, meat, fish, nuts) with the exception of oils and dairy which I am forced to purchase as I can't produce these myself.

I break the rules occasionally with impunity. Sometimes I have a slice of properly fermented sour dough bread. Sometimes I use tinned tomatoes and nut butters and sometimes I drink red wine.

Rules are there only to guide a wise man as they say.

red38, Aug 15, 12:21am
I know very odd! breakfast would be something like scrambled egg and sometimes bacon - really filled me up so lunch maybe a handful of nuts - dinner would be chicken with tomatoes, shallots garlic and cheese with a pile of broccoli.

visionspring, Aug 15, 12:23am
Hi anna787! Good on you for wanting to give low carb a go, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Your shopping list should consist of whole ingredients, with very few things that come in packaging. Leafy greens should be eaten to your hearts content, along with protein and fat. (real cuts of meat, not sausages etc) So a typical meal would be a steak, topped with some sunny side eggs or creamy mushroom sauce, with a big ass side of wilted greens, or stir fried bokchoy/whatever you fancy. A light lunch might be half an avocado, smoked salmon/tinned herring eaten chopped up together... . yum! Hard cheeses will make excellent snacks, but in time you fill find that your appetite will regulate and you won't need to snack!

Also, ease into the high fat thing if you have been eating low fat for years. It takes a while for your body to accept any dietary changes such as this, so slow and steady will win the race :) Experiment with how much fat you can tolerate as everyone is different. Just don't go too low on the fat because this will doom you to failure. Contrary to all the hoopla we've been hearing over the last 30 years, fat does not circulate in big gobs around your body after ingesting it, clogging your arteries and ending up on your hips! Its much more complicated than that and good quality fats are in fact critical to good health.

Also, if you live with a non low carber you just have to become creative. EG make a creamy chicken thighs alfredo with bacon bits sauce, and then everyone else can have this on pasta while you can have it over a huge ass bowl of say, wilted watercress and spinach!

Things to watch out for on low carb are sauces and condiments. Lots of them in the supermarket have too many chemicals and too much sugar, so you will have to start making your own. Anyhoo I think these other fullas here are more learned than I am and they will give you good info :)

buzzy110, Aug 15, 12:27am
Red - my best suggestion is you register on the dark side and start a journal of your daily food intake. There are a lot of successful posters over there who will be able to help. Or you could read a good book. I am always pressing the point home that nothing works better than getting all the information you needs. It is rather a big subject and sometimes without knowledge you could be unknowingly or unwittingly sabotaging your own efforts because you are unsure of what you should be doing.

There is a complete reading list in the Library on the dark side and your own library is bound to have at least one of those books.

visionspring, Aug 15, 12:27am
OH I forgot to say, the best thing for sugar is to give it up cold turkey. I know its easy to say, and another thing to do... but you won't regret it! This also means artificial sweeteners, go for about a month with a big restriction on sweet things to reset your taste buds. Then after a month those plain blueberries will taste amazingly sweet! Sure it will be hard, but its a very real addiction and theres no easy way around it :(

cookessentials, Aug 15, 1:44am
individual clinics I think BK, not the programme itself.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 1:47am
Quote buzzy110
"Remember that the bit after the quotation marks and beginning "this is where people get a little confused... " is not my quote it is cooks and should have begun with a new paragraph. "

being pedantic again... . . another reason why as an advocate for LC, you do the LC website and it's members no favours.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 1:53am
I wasn't being pedantic. I was just clarifying your post so that rapid readers would realise which were my sentiments and which were yours. Even I had to go back and reread my own post because I was sure that mine did not have anything about confusion.

I am sure you would want it clear which were your statements and which were mine so that readers who may agree with you and not me, wouldn't mistake your specific information.

buzzy110, Aug 15, 1:57am
I have to agree with visionspring. No sugar at all. Sugar is the devil that makes all diets fail, not just low carb. However, as a low carb diet is one that arbitrarily forces your body to switch from using cheap and cheerful carbohydrates as its primary energy source, to using fat and protein, sugar will derail that process.

cookessentials, Aug 15, 2:08am
anna the reason there is a 5 hour gap between meals ( no snacks) is
to keep blood sugar levels stable so that your body can begin to release Human Growth Hormone, and Serotonin (2 key hormones that assist effective fat loss).

uli, Aug 15, 3:39am
Ohhh - human growth hormone - now we need kurtis in here to speed things up :)

mistrycelebrity, Aug 15, 4:37am
hey cookessentials

my husband last year tried a quick-loss, low-fat, high-protein diet which he had good results with, went from 93kg to 85kg in two weeks, but of course he couldn't keep it off...

but the insistence of that diet was to eat every 3 hours. eg
7am - breakfast
10am - morning snack
1pm - lunch
4pm - afternoon snack
7pm - dinner
10pm - evening snack

it was designed by this guy mike:
www.reactiv.co.nz

i'm not advocating the diet because I tried it too (the female's version) and everything was so flavourless and cardboardy, it was basically weetbix, ryvita crackers, protein shakes, apples, brown rice, chicken/tuna and fibrous veges, i disliked most of it.

but apparently it was a big no-no to go any more than 3 hours between meals. he says:
"The fat will come off more efficiently if you spread your food intake out over more meals per day rather than less. This is a great way to keep your metabolism steady and elevated. Ideally eat a balanced meal once every 3 hours during waking hours. "

i hear a lot about eating 6 times a day... 5 hours between meals sounds like a long time to me if the intention is to speed up your metabolism and fat burning, were snacks allowed in between?

visionspring, Aug 15, 5:30am
Hi there! I have come across in my reading that eating frequently does not have an effect on increasing fat burning, and that your metabolism does not slow down with say, only 1~2 meals a day. I will have a dig and see if I can post some worthwhile articles :)

In the end I say go with what works for you. Some people find that eating 5 times a day keeps them on track, so thats good. Personally when I eat 5 times a day (did it religiously in the past! ) I just got obsessed with food, always thinking about what to eat next. Also never really got satisfied eating small amounts.

uli, Aug 15, 6:16am
Well just bringing in a bit of history of human evolution - we never had a supermarket and the lovely idea of eating every so many hours even 50 years ago LOL ...

So I would suggest that we used to eat whatever was there and when we got up from sleeping it off we would go look for more ...

And that is how we evolved to become the humans we are today - remember grains and carbs only came into the equation once we did not have enough area anymore to pick and hunt our dinners!

And remember too that this was only 10 000 years ago! While humans are around for over 3 million of years - hunting and gathering along :)

Maybe that makes things clearer and also puts these "diets" into perspective ... .