Stewing apples..stupid question

deludedmunchkin, Aug 4, 12:09am
How do I stew apples? I searched in the box but it doesnt come up with anything useful. i want to stew them to make apple pie and crumble etc as I am on a budget and want to stretch these slightly old apples out.
Thanks

angler453, Aug 4, 12:13am
Peel, core and slice thinly. put in pot with just a little water. Add lemon or lime juice to your preference. Cook/simmer maybe 25 mins.

angler453, Aug 4, 12:15am
Thats for normal eating apples which are sweeter than cooking apples. If using cooking apples you prob don't need the lemon or lime juice, just add some sugar if they're too tart.

lost-in-oz, Aug 4, 12:18am
For apple crumble you don't need to stew the fruit first. Just peel and slice thinly, sprinkle over some sugar to taste and then your crumble mix.
To stew them, just peel, slice thinly and put in a pot with a little bit of water (1/2 - 1 cup). Add sugar to taste and boil until mushy. Good for using under a sponge top this way.

245sam, Aug 4, 12:21am
deludedmunchkin, do you have a microwave? I use the microwave to cook apples - it's quick and easy. All I do is simply peel, quarter, core, then slice the apples and place them in a suitable-sized microwave-proof dish, then cover the dish and cook the apples on 100% power, stirring them every 2-3 minutes.
Notes:
•If cooking/preparing a big/large quantity it is best to put the apples intoe. g. acidulated water, to prevent them from going brown - for this I save, in the freezer, lemon or lime pieces, slices, wedges and add them to a bowl of cold water then add the apples to that water once they are peeled, 1/4'd and cored.
•IMO it is not necessary to add any water to the apples – they quite quickly produce their own juice once they begin to cook in the microwave and, of course, there is no risk of them catching on the bottom of a saucepan.
•I prefer to sweetened the apples IF, and when necessary, after they are cooked – usually we find that any added sweetening is not necessary when the apples are cooked as above.

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Aug 4, 12:25am
Another option for apple crumble is to grate, rather than slice, the raw apples - they cook very quickly done this way, and I don't even both with peeling them first, just grate the apples, skin and all (except I don't use the cores). :-))

lost-in-oz, Aug 4, 12:27am
Good idea 245Sam! I'd never even thought of just grating the apple. And you get to keep the fibre of the skin too. An 'almost' healthy dessert.

deludedmunchkin, Aug 4, 12:27am
thanks everyone, i like the idea of microwaving them. might make it easier with having a 6 week old

cookessentials, Aug 4, 12:59am
Never a stupid question here deludedmunchkin ( LOVE that name! ) the only stupid thing is not asking.

245sam, Aug 4, 1:16am
So very true, cookessentials/Pam.

indy95, Aug 4, 3:20am
Exactly. Deluded munchkin ? Great name !

elliehen, Aug 4, 7:12am
That's a brilliant idea - should be in fisher's 'Pro' thread! I've made apple crumble on occasions when the top has been well-cooked and the apple still a tad crunchy... ;)

245sam, Dec 25, 12:44am
Thanks elliehen, but of course that should read:

Another option for apple crumble is to grate, rather than slice, the raw apples - they cook very quickly done this way, and I don't even bothER with peeling them first, just grate the apples, skin and all (except I don't use the cores). :-))

Obviously you must have all known what I meant to say even though it didn't read as I meant it to! ! :-))