Stewed apples help.....

korbo, Apr 17, 8:45am
I have just stewed up a big pot of apples, with a packet of frozen red currants.(thought they were blackberries),
added about 1/2 cup water on bottom and 1/2 cup sugar.they have cooked up really mashy/wateryand wondered if i could thicken it.
if so what with ????

lilyfield, Apr 17, 8:49am
cornflour-- or add more apple.

korbo, Apr 17, 8:52am
yes i thought cornflour. would i make a bit of a paste with water and then stir it in, or reheat the apple and just put, say a tablespoon and bring back to boil

buzzy110, Apr 17, 9:08am
Personally I'd drain off some of the liquid. Don't throw it away though. You can add it to your b/f cereal in place of some milk, or even use it to sweeten and flavour a glass of milk or add to plain yoghurt or similar.

I very rarely cook my stewed apples for very long and if I use frozen berries I don't add any liquid at all. I quite like some of the solid lumps and always dice my apples rather than slice then. If the apples are eating sweet I also don't add sugar. I hate that extra sugar taste. It overpowers the apple flavour imo.

korbo, Apr 17, 9:36am
I see another thread with the same problem...hardcase...
There is not too much liquid, so when i make the crumble or pie,(havent decided yet), I think if i put some cornflour in then, it should thicken and also it will get cooked. right or wrong ??

camper18, Apr 17, 9:44am
Instead of cornflour to thicken, when you are ready to use them throw in a handful of flaked rice.

korbo, Apr 17, 7:20pm
camper, havent any, can you still buy this. my late dad loved it, and i loved it more when it was cold. can you tell me if it is still available. thanks.

whitehead., Apr 17, 8:34pm
if your going to eat them cold you could add a berry jelly while the apples are hot .you can also cook your apples in the microwave with out water if you are adding berrys also add jelly .the taste goes really well .you can have black berry and apple pie with out the seeds

tramore, May 6, 10:06pm
Arrowroot is good for thickening as well.

retired, May 7, 12:32am
I have used custard powder as it has some flavour.I have cooked apples, no water and added a packet of jelly, never add sugar.