A treeful of Apples = what to do with them?

Page 1 / 2
calista, Apr 8, 7:42am
What is the simplest way to deal with them.. Some have moth so I will have to cut out the caterpillars, but how do you deal with a bumper crop?

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

dezzie, Apr 8, 7:50am
I just stew them and freeze...

meeshel, Apr 8, 7:51am
yup, stew and freeze.. we have loads in the freezer now.. along with peaches. kids get to have warm fruit and custard all year long :)

teddy147, Apr 8, 7:52am
thats what i do, and use the apple for roast pork, apple crumble,pies, curried sausage etc

kinna54, Apr 8, 8:02am
Oh so yummy. Stew, preserve or freeze.Wonderful for winter pies, crumbles, sponges or just to have on your cornflakes in the morning.I would give my eye teeth for them, I saw apples today $4.95 kilo, bought 2 for granddaughter's lunchbox, they were disgusting, ended up she fed them to the rabbit.

uli, Apr 8, 8:27am
Make cider - then if you have too much to drink - turn the rest into cider vinegar - worth $4 a liter from organic suppliers :)

pamellie, Apr 8, 11:03pm
My friend has an apple, peeler and corer machine (you can buy them on here) and I borrow it when I have a lot of apples to bottle, makes the job a lot easier.

ant_sonja, Apr 8, 11:05pm
Apple juice or cider - yum :-)

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:00am
Apple and Cream Cheese Muffins

2 Cups SR flour, ½ Cup sugar, 1 tsp lemon rind-finely grated. Mix well. Mix together 2 eggs, 3/4-cup milk, 1 tsp cinnamon & 25 gr-melted butter. Combine wet & dry & mix thru 1 cup diced apple. Spoon into greased muffin tins & top with 1 tbsp cream cheese & sprinkle over cinnamon sugar (1.5 tsp cinnamon & ¼ C sugar). Bake 180*C for 20 mins. These are YUM!

Apricot & Cream Cheese Muffins

Mix well 2 Cups flour, ½ Cup sugar, 1 Tbsp Baking powder, ¼ tsp salt. Drain & reserve juice of 1x 410 g chopped apricots and add apricots to dry mix with ¼ of each milk & oil, 1 egg, and reserved fruit juice to make sticky dough. Mix & ½ fill mix into greased muffin tin. Place 1 tsp cream cheese in centre & top with more mix to cover. Sprinkle over cinnamon sugar if liked & bake @ 180*C for 20 mins. These are my daughters favourite.

campmum

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:00am
Apple and Feijoa Crumble

4 medium apples – peeled and sliced
6 medium feijoas – peeled and sliced
4 Tbsp water

Layer fruit in an oven proof dish and sprinkle water over.

Topping

1/3 cup wholemeal flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup peanuts or walnuts chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
45 grams melted margarine

Combine topping ingredients, sprinkle on top of fruit and bake at 180 C until the topping is crisp and the fruit is tender when tested with a knife, about 40 minutes.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:01am
apple and mint jelly

2.5 kg cooking apples, roughly chopped ( there is no need to peel or core them )
1.2 litres water
Some sprigs of fresh mint
1.2 litres vinegar
Sugar
Chopped fresh mint
Green food colouring (optional )

Simmer apples with water and mint sprigs until very soft, then add vinegar and simmer for another 5 mins. Strain through a jelly bag for at least 12 hours, resisting the temptation to squeeze the bag.
For each 600 ml of liquid add 500g sugar, bring to boil and boil rapidly for about 10 mins or until setting point is reached. Remove from the heat and add as much chopped fresh mint as you want and a few drops of food colouring if you want green jelly ( I don't bother with that ) Let cool for 10 to 15 mins and stir to distribute the mint through the jelly before putting into jars.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:01am
#

Apple Pie

200g shortcrust pastry
25g melted butter
2 tsp sugar

Filling
4-6 granny smiths
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp cloves

Roll pastry sl larger than a 20cm pie plate. Cut 2 2.5cm wide strips long enough to go round the ege of the plate, brush w water
Spoon apple filling into centre of plate, pour butter over, cover with remaining pastry. Trim and crimp edges. Decorate pie with any trimmings.
Brush lightly w milk or water and sprinkle w sugar

200 deg C 25 mins or till pastry is golden. Test w a skewer - if apple is not cooked, reduce temp to 180 deg and cook till apple is tender.

Serves 6

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:02am
Apple Roly

1 c S R flour
Pinch of salt
2 T butter
1/4 c water approx
Raspberry or apricot jam
2 Granny Smith or other cooking apples

Syrup

1 c boiling water
1/2 sugar
1-2 T butter

Sift flour and salt together, rub or grate in butter and mix to a dough with water.

Roll dough out thinly and spread with jam. Grate over the apples, then roll up and place in a greased baking dish.

Mix boiling water, sugar and butter together to make syrup and pour over the roll. Cut a few slits in the top, brush with milk and sprinkle over a little extra sugar for a crunchy top.

Bake uncovered in a moderately hot oven for about 45 mins.

I usually make double the quantity of syrup and add some lemon juice to it.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:04am
Honeyed Apple Slice

Use a dual-purpose apple such as Granny Smith, or a mix of cooking and dessert apples for this easy, sweet treat. Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

* 6 large dual-purpose apples or 3 cooking apples and 3 dessert apples
* 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
* 40 g butter (divided measure)
* 2-3 Tbsp cold water
* 1-2 Tbsp caster sugar
* 1 sheet of frozen sweet shortcrust pastry, thawed
* 1-2 Tbsp runny honey

Optional

* Icing sugar for dusting

Method:

1. Peel, core and slice 3 of the cooking apples and put in a saucepan with the lemon zest, half the butter, and 2 Tbsp cold water. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until the apples are cooked to a rough puree.
2. Remove and cool sufficiently to taste – add up to 2 Tbsp of caster sugar, less if preferred.
3. Push the apples through a sieve or mouli to make a dry puree. Cool completely.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C.
5. Place the thawed but still cold pastry on a non-stick baking sheet and mark a narrow border all around the sheet. Spread the cold apple puree, leaving the border clear.
6. Halve, Core and slice the dessert apples into thin slices – a mandolin makes light work of this finicky task – dropping into the lemon juice as you slice. Arrange slices in neat rows on the puree.
7. Melt the remaining butter and brush over the slices right to the edge of the pastry.
8. Cook for 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
9. Drizzle the honey over the hot slice and dust with icing sugar if wished.
10. Serve warm with ice cream, cream, yoghurt or creme fraiche.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:06am
spiced apple sauce

8 lbs apples, chopped
4 lbs sugar
1/2 lb salt
6 onions peeled and chopped
1 oz whole cloves
1 oz whole allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 quarts vinegar

Put everything except whole spices into a large pan. Tie whole spices in a bag and add to pan. Cook the mixture very slowly for 2-3 hours, then strain and put through a blender if you want a really smooth sauce. Put in sterilised bottles while hot and seal.

N.B. This makes a fairly sweet sauce but the amount of sugar can be altered to taste depending on which variety of apple you use.

lx4000, Apr 9, 3:07am
Fibre Muffins
BOWL 1
1/2 C Sugar
1 Tbspn BP
1 1/4 C Flour
Mix.
BOWL 2
2 C All Bran
1 1/4 Skim Milk/Milk
Stand 5 mins
add to bowl 2
1/2 C Apple Sauce
1 Egg
Mix.
Add bowl 1 to bowl 2 and just mix.
Spoon into muffin trays.
Bake 20 mins at 200
You can add spices, dried fruits etc or even chopped apple, pears to this.

lx4000, Apr 9, 3:07am
Dutch Apple Cake
125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce
2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves
2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice
Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.
Bake 180 45 mins
This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!!
Enjoy :)

trading_gibsons, Apr 9, 3:15am
When I visited a small town just before you reach Katoomba in the Blue Mountains in the 80's there was a village fete with great stuff these old dears had made, & one of these were jars of Apples Jelly which you use like a jam. I'm sure if you look it up you'll find a recipe, but we all bought some & loved it!!

retired, Apr 9, 6:15am
I was given a bag of Cox's apples.I stewed some, no liquid.When they were cooked I stirred in a packet of lemon jelly.Made this into an Apple Shortbread with ice cream for dessert.

whiskey13, Apr 9, 6:26am
I've got Apple and Rhubarb crumble in the oven for pudding tonight :)

bev00, Apr 9, 6:44am
Spiced Apple Cake
125g butter
1 cup cooked apples (about 2-3 apples) 1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon each nutmeg, allspice and salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
icing sugar (for dusting if you don’t want to make the cream cheese icing)

Preheat oven to 160°C.
Melt butter in a medium-large saucepan.Remove from heat and mix in apples and sugar.Stir to combine then stir in egg.
Sift dry ingredients into the apple mix.Stir just enough to blend ingredients evenly.Spread the mixture into a greased 20cm cake tin and bake for 45 minutes.When cool, you could dust with icing sugar, or coat the cake with the lemon cream cheese icing from the recipe below.

Lemon Cream Cheese Icing:
250g cream cheese
50g butter
2 cups icing sugar
Rind 2 lemons and the juice of ½ – 1 lemon

To make the icing, beat all the ingredients together

calista, Apr 9, 9:57am
Wow - thanks - I'm going to stew and freeze, then try some of the recipes. A friend who mows my lawn was dropping very heavy hints about apple and rhubarb crumble tonight and as I had a blissfull shower at his place tonight (mine gets fixed on Monday) I am planning to make him one,

calista, Apr 10, 9:57am
Wow - thanks - I'm going to stew and freeze, then try some of the recipes. A friend who mows my lawn was dropping very heavy hints about apple and rhubarb crumble tonight and as I had a blissfull shower at his place tonight (mine gets fixed on Monday) I am planning to make him one,

calista, Apr 8, 7:42am
What is the simplest way to deal with them. Some have moth so I will have to cut out the caterpillars, but how do you deal with a bumper crop!

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

dezzie, Apr 8, 7:50am
I just stew them and freeze.