A treeful of Apples = what to do with them?

Page 2 / 2
meeshel, Apr 8, 7:51am
yup, stew and freeze. we have loads in the freezer now. along with peaches. kids get to have warm fruit and custard all year long :)

teddy147, Apr 8, 7:52am
thats what i do, and use the apple for roast pork, apple crumble,pies, curried sausage etc

kinna54, Apr 8, 8:02am
Oh so yummy. Stew, preserve or freeze.Wonderful for winter pies, crumbles, sponges or just to have on your cornflakes in the morning.I would give my eye teeth for them, I saw apples today $4.95 kilo, bought 2 for granddaughter's lunchbox, they were disgusting, ended up she fed them to the rabbit.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:01am
apple and mint jelly

2.5 kg cooking apples, roughly chopped ( there is no need to peel or core them )
1.2 litres water
Some sprigs of fresh mint
1.2 litres vinegar
Sugar
Chopped fresh mint
Green food colouring (optional )

Simmer apples with water and mint sprigs until very soft, then add vinegar and simmer for another 5 mins. Strain through a jelly bag for at least 12 hours, resisting the temptation to squeeze the bag.
For each 600 ml of liquid add 500g sugar, bring to boil and boil rapidly for about 10 mins or until setting point is reached. Remove from the heat and add as much chopped fresh mint as you want and a few drops of food colouring if you want green jelly ( I don't bother with that ) Let cool for 10 to 15 mins and stir to distribute the mint through the jelly before putting into jars.

theanimal1, Apr 9, 2:01am
APPLE CONTINENTAL CAKE

250grm butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar, 3 1/4 cups standard flour, 6tsp baking powder, 4 eggs,-- 2 lrg Granny smith apples, (i used 5 little ones) 1/2 cup sultanas, 2 tablespoons sugar,2 tsps cinnamon, 1 tsp almond essence, ( i use vanilla), - put butter first measure of sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs into a bowl, beat until smooth. in a separate bowl put the sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar (2tsp) almond essence, and sultanas, - Spoon 2 /3rds of batter into greased tin, arrange the apple mix ontop, put the rest of the batter ontop, bake at 180c for 35mins or until cake springs back, cool, dust with icing sugar

Can add more spice if you want spicier, also can be cooked in a loaf tin.

lx4000, Apr 9, 3:07am
Dutch Apple Cake
125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce
2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves
2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice
Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.
Bake 180 45 mins
This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!
Enjoy :)

trading_gibsons, Apr 9, 3:15am
When I visited a small town just before you reach Katoomba in the Blue Mountains in the 80's there was a village fete with great stuff these old dears had made, & one of these were jars of Apples Jelly which you use like a jam. I'm sure if you look it up you'll find a recipe, but we all bought some & loved it!

retired, Apr 9, 6:15am
I was given a bag of Cox's apples.I stewed some, no liquid.When they were cooked I stirred in a packet of lemon jelly.Made this into an Apple Shortbread with ice cream for dessert.

whiskey13, Apr 9, 6:26am
I've got Apple and Rhubarb crumble in the oven for pudding tonight :)