Stewed Apples Help

sharma07, Apr 13, 11:46pm
I have added too much water and too much sugar to a batch of apples.Does anyone know how I can correct this or should I start again? Sad to waste the apples and sugar though....

sapne, Apr 13, 11:50pm
Heat gently until the water evaporates. Add more apples?

lilyfield, Apr 13, 11:50pm
drain the apples. Save juice for baking . cook some more apples in just a wee bit of the juice and add to others.

or bake off some more apples in the oven with nothing added and add to cooked ones.

sharma07, Apr 14, 12:26am
Thanks heaps.Great ideas.Waste not, want not right

juliewn, Apr 14, 2:47pm
Hi.. I've started adding double the amount of water I'd usually use when stewing apples and for bottling them.. while still very hot, I strain them through a sieve, placing the pulp back into the pan and reheating till very hot then preserving them, and with the juice, I heat that till boiling, and bottle also.. delicious apple juice to use when we'd like some.. yum!

clarebear19, Apr 17, 9:08am
Hi there - I like the idea about doubling the water and bottling the apple juice. Do you add sugar at any stage? And if you do - at what ratio? Thanks!

korbo, Apr 17, 9:37am
I started a thread the same. check mine out.hardcase 2 of us with problem

yorkie13, Apr 17, 9:45am
when I stew apples all I do is add a bit of sugar and simmer on really low heat cos the apples produce their own liquid, works for me.

wildflower, Apr 18, 3:06am
I've never added sugar to stewed apples, even cooking apples seem to have plenty of sweetness once stewed, they have plenty of natural sugars.Why add more?

buzzy110, Apr 18, 7:04am
Exactly and the sugar overpowers the apple flavour.

clarebear19, Apr 18, 7:26am
No added sugar - sounds good to me but will it still keep OK when bottling? I know sugar helps preserve. Thanks

murdoc4, Apr 18, 7:44am
If apple is too sweet add a little lemon juice to taste and like the other said - add some more apple

korbo, Apr 18, 10:31am
my dessert was fine. put the apples in the colondar and that reduced the juice. not any left

wildflower, Apr 19, 4:39am
I've been preserving stewed apple without sugar, freezing it too.

greerg, Apr 20, 3:57am
I always freeze it because I assumed I couldn't bottle it without added sugar.Do you use a waterbath or overflow Wildflower?